Stupid Thing I Done Did

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Stupid Things I Done Did

Where do I start?
-I had a 79 YZ 250 I used to ride with my older neighbour in Athabasca. He had a DT 175 Yamy. We rode for hours into the muddy/sandy cut lines till I fouled a plug. Lacking any insight or foresight, I had no tools, plug or even snacks(I hate that, I should ALWAYS carry snacks!) I ended up pushing the bike for a long, long time while my neighbour rode back to the truck to get a cord or rope. It started raining harder and the mud was getting deeper.
He found a vacuum cleaner cord(don't ask) and we tied it to the bikes. It kept breaking over and over till our tires were almost touching and I was getting plastered by roost. He took off his pants and used them. They kept ripping too, then his old sweater was sacrificed, then mine. By the time we got back to the truck all he had was his underwear and his sock/shoes!
Luckily for me, he had cheeze-wiz sandwiches and devil'd eggs in the truck with sodas. Snarfed them down like Jethro eating Granny's cooking!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-At one point, I tried to start a YZ 490 in my slippers. Not gooood.

-I redid a YZ 250 motor, crank up rebuild. It had a Steahly flywheel weight that would'nt tighten on very well but I tried to make it work anyways. The first time I went to start it, I kicked and it fired. It ran nicely and I opened the garage door to test ride it. I put it in gear and went backwards into the wall! The flywheel weight shifted when it started and ran backwards. Ugh...

-I once put my sled in the back of my truck facing backwards(for quick exits!). Well I lost the windshield on that one.

-My sprocket nut on my street bike once came off while I was riding in the city. My shoe held the sprocket on for hours till I rode home.

-I used to Armour All my dads sled seat. I would find him in the bushes on the corners when we rode...he was kind of a crazy rider though. Still...

-I was over at a friends house one night with buddies having a few beers. The bench racing was getting thick and questionable, but entertaining with each brew consumed. All was great until one of the guys pointed out he needed help getting his clutch basket out of his dirtbike. Wellllll, no problem! Power tools and brews don't mix! We broke the spring bolt tangs off the basket pretty quick. OOOPS... Not too impressed with that one.

-My brothers and I would go camping in the mountains. We'd take all kinds of motorized things plus mini bikes. One time, a long way from camp I was racing with one brother. I thought I'd show him, heh, heh, heh...as I sped up past him(I made sure I had a bigger front sprocket for speed). I hit his "kill" button and raced off leaving roost all over him!..Ok, a little bit of dust anyways. I didn't get too far ahead when my chain broke and he raced past me. He never came back.
That was a long push back to camp.

-Once a Native guy brought in a old Yamy DT125 for me to fix. He said it wouldn't pull 4th gear. Looking at the poor, decrepit and heartily beat barely running machine I opened the air filter cover. It was completely filled with...stuff. Farmy kind of stuff. I cleaned it up quick and the bike fired up. I said "now it'll run good in all 5 gears". He said "it has a fifth gear?"

-I once, and only once pulled the throttle on my sled BEFORE I started it. It had sat outside a long frosty time. I remember the throttle feeling kinda funny but I opened the choke and pulled the rope. Well, it started all right. It also ran full blast across a field out of sight into the darkness. The sound got farther and farther away until it was completely quiet. Note to self: Don't do that again.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 396

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-I once bought a little Austin Little car for parts. I was Fixing up Mini's then. My friend had a early 80's little Ford car. I had to tow the Austin from the "big city" to our "little city". Not too far. The towing excursion started well. The Austin was a shell with no interior just extra doors and pieces. Not even a steering wheel. The side window were sliding not roll ups and were very sticky.
My friend was towing the Austin nicely down a main drag right around rush hour. We were moving about 40 KPH and I was sitting inside the tow vehicle(don't ask me why).
At one of the busiest areas that had at least 6 lanes (3 each way), I watched at the left rear wheel decided to come off and roll in a nice arc to the left, going right into and across all the traffic! I couldn't get the windows open, they wouldn't slide and the doors opened from the outside only!
My friend just kept driving, scraping me along the road, sparks trailing, oblivious to the ranting raving man inside the car behind him. I did watch that wheel go slowly into the traffic, not hitting anyone, cross the median and miss all the other traffic as well! Impressive. It then bumped up un the curb, did a couple of turny spins and landed perfectly on the sidewalk. Sure was embarrassing going to get it when FINALLY my friend did stop. I could've shot him! After dodging cars and trucks I did find all the wheel lugs and a quarter!

-The same friend that was towing me had a 79 Chevy Caprice. He wasn't mechanical. He was also extremely cheap. He didn't even want to acknowledge anything about maintenance. He drove the poor car to the ground and then further. His brakes started squealing one year. Much, much later they were grinding. He finally asked me to look at them, of course. Now it's Oct, Outside, freezing. Nice. It took me forever to get the rear drums off because the metal of the brake shoes was ground into the drums soooo bad. He brought me the(cheapest) parts I asked for so I could finally get this thing off my driveway.
I fixed his damn car in the cold over many hard hours. When I was done he threw me a whole $20.00 bill. I would rather he said "I owe you one", or "I'll get food for the next while". I never, ever, hardly ever fixed anything else for him again ever. I Let him learn by taking it to a shop how much it really costs. Heh, heh.

-Okay, I lied. I did do ONE more thing for him. He pulled up in his decrepit poor car again one night. He parked all crooked on my driveway and started complaining he couldn't steer the car! It was all he could do to just get to my house. I opened the hood, put some steering fluid in it and Walla, It steered again! I gave him the "your a moron" look, of course.

Another dumb thing I did was on a Yamy XT 500 heavy street bike. I was in a dirt area behind some new housing projects having fun ripping around.
I was 16 and not too big or bright. I was practicing my wheelies. Wheelies were cool. That bike had soo much chug that if you did it just right the front would come up and you could keep it there...for a while. Well, the front wheel was up and I was motoring, until I saw the bike swallowing drainage crack directly in front of me! I don't remember everything, but, I know somehow I ended up under the bike in that deep crevice. If you happen to be watching, the bike just totally disappeared!
My dislike for 4 stroke dirt bikes started at that moment I'm sure. It lay there making 'tink, tink' cooling noises on me, crushing me, for a long painful time.
Well, we WON'T do THAT again will we? Of course, we probably will.

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 389

Korey

Reaction score
Not gonna lie first thing I thought of when i seen this thread is it was gonna be about all the guys who have snow checked a 15 doo haha j/k

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Stupid Things I Done Did

As much as I try to look away I always come back to read more and then I have read it all and I think what are his stories like in person over a few whiskeys ... mind you I think most of his stories started with a few whiskeys

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Ya ever put one of those plastic box liners in your truck? I did, and one particular early morning I was attempting to unload my sled ( no reverse in those days ) and I just about had it off, the track was on the ramp and I just need to give the skis a little lift and gentle nudge forward when my feet completely went out from under me on this frosted plastic insert. My feet flew in the air and I came down on the front bumper of my sled with my face! Two inch gash and blood every where, great way to start the day.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I had something like that too. Late one night, probably about 1 am (I'm a late night kinda person) I was getting home with my house water tank full. (A 210 Gallon tank I fill with water for the house-I'm on a cistern and live in the ku-huntry). The temp was about -15 and the water had splashed the back of the truck making everything really icy. The tailgates down and I put the hose into the cistern to drain, then go to get back up on the tailgate to open the valve. I take ONE little step and all I remember was zero gravity feeling just for a moment as I fall on my back(in slow motion) onto the packed snow behind the truck. I laid there for a while looking at the pretty night sky making "ugh" and "grunting" noises, listening to the sound of the truck idle and the wind whistle. The things I do to live in the Ku-huntry.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
meatbag... i think you get the vote for the coolest guy to have beers with around a camp fire because im sure the stories would never end...

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brothers and I were down at N.Sask river fishing, he had just got a new truck that was a standard. We were getting ready to go and I thought I would be helpful and start the truck for him not being old enough to understand it was in gear, the truck took off with our younger brother standing in the box. I did figure out to hit the brakes about 10 feet from the riverbank. Will never forget the looks on everyone's faces!

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have an 04 viper. I was always fiddling with the jets. And each time I did so I ended up kinking and twisting the throttle cable.
Well, we were out playing on the Judy Creek pipeline. And as always I was getting a hard time by all my Doo riding buddies, over my Yamahahaha. As they called it. We were about 30k from the trucks when the cable snapped.

I had my pride and no way was I letting my buddies wife tow my machine out. Had what seemed a bright idea. Took the spare rip cord. Tied it to the throttle linkage, ran it through the hood so that when I pulled the rope it went. Let go it would stop. If I let go too much it would die. So next not so bright idea came into play. I wrapped the rope tight around my left hand. With my hand resting on the bars it held idle. Twist of the wrist, away I'd go. Real sensitive too.

Coming up to one of the lease road crossings I hit a rough section. Lost my balance and fell off.
My 260lb weight yarded that cord tied to my hand. Full throttle with me tied by one hand in tow. Shot across the road. Down it a little ways. (this was spring riding, roads were mud). And finally my saving grace the sled smoked and approach and went air born. This ripped the glove off my hand, I ploughed shoulder first into the approach then ended up ass over tea kettle for a ways. The sled died and didn't hit nothing else.

I laid there for a good 5mins or more. That really hurt.
Then my buddy Donnie had another great idea. Turn the linkage idle screw in. That will hold the carbs open a bit. I let Don make those adjustments. When he was done, he told me to get on and he'd start it for me. So my next mistake was listening to him. I sat on it. Don pulled the cord and away I went. Slowly getting faster. I was doing 37km/hr through the willows and some tight corners. Brakeing hard to make a few of them. Wasn't even 10 minutes like that and the brakes were so red hot it blistered the hood. Donnie had turned that screw 15turns. We found out it takes 7 turns for the clutches to engage with my fat ass on it.

Rode it out the rest of the way like that. Couldn't stop without shutting off. My new idle speed was 12km/hr. If I wanted more speed pull the rope.

Was a hell of a trip. And was the last time I did anything that stupid.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol! "And was the last time I did anything that stupid." Famous last words! I did that with a late 60's Mini Cooper I had once when the throttle cable broke in the Ku-huntry. Rope tied to the S.U. carb rack, out the back of the hood to the steering wheel. Scary!

Reactions: RXN

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
This one time at Snowandmud camp I got dropped off at my camper by a pink razor and in an effort to finish my beer before bed fell asleep on the picnic table....

Wife was not impressed.....

Another time I refused to fix the brakes on my moto-4 (brakes are for puzzies) came to a corner too fast an instinct kicked in, down went my foot on the brake, no pressure, middle toe caught a rock, toenail pulled off...well 90% off, I had to finish it off with a dog bone in my teeth and a bottle of vodka for antiseptic & pain killer.

toe.jpg toe2.jpg

Top Bottom