Strathcona County Bylaws

drive55

Reaction score
hello

i would like to get involved in the riding in the county
what would be the best club to join
i would like to mention that 214 to ministic is quit a busy road there are about 4 subdivisions that use this road for access it would be hard to get the cooperatiin of the land owners to use this a feeder from cooking lake to ministic.
However if you go 1 road over to 213 there are no subdivisions that enter onto this road to deal with, you may be able to get a petition from the land ownders to get access to ministic. The road is just gravel and you could go directly into ministic from here

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start complaining to the County everytime I see a horse on the County roads. It's time the playing field was levelled in the County. Horses on the road are more of a danger than a sled or quad. I encourage all the sled and quad owners to follow suit, and to start bombarding their councillors with complaints about horses on the roads, and also about the waste of taxpayer's dollars being used for the extra RCMP and County Constable they are using to police sledders and quads. If we remain silent, nothing will change.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start complaining to the County everytime I see a horse on the County roads. It's time the playing field was levelled in the County. Horses on the road are more of a danger than a sled or quad. I encourage all the sled and quad owners to follow suit, and to start bombarding their councillors with complaints about horses on the roads, and also about the waste of taxpayer's dollars being used for the extra RCMP and County Constable they are using to police sledders and quads. If we remain silent, nothing will change.

It is so true, if we remain silent nothing will change.

Arma-Coat Finishes

Reaction score
a few friends last year got chased outside the sherwood park area in the ditches, the stupid cop jumped out of his car and tried stopping them in the ditch. They all just went around him,they just kept turning around and doubling back on him, meanwhile the cop is trying to chase them on the highway, the roads were in terrible shape and he was burning U-turns everywhere and slamming his brakes on a busy icy highway.........not too smart or safe for some dumb tickets. I would not worry about helicopters chasing you, cause its B.S they would never waste the fuel and time for a petty fine like that. They like to scare everyone . Really as long as you are respecting private property and not doing anything dumb who cares.............just hit the gas and turn off into the next field and wave good-bye.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few friends last year got chased outside the sherwood park area in the ditches, the stupid cop jumped out of his car and tried stopping them in the ditch. They all just went around him,they just kept turning around and doubling back on him, meanwhile the cop is trying to chase them on the highway, the roads were in terrible shape and he was burning U-turns everywhere and slamming his brakes on a busy icy highway.........not too smart or safe for some dumb tickets. I would not worry about helicopters chasing you, cause its B.S they would never waste the fuel and time for a petty fine like that. They like to scare everyone . Really as long as you are respecting private property and not doing anything dumb who cares.............just hit the gas and turn off into the next field and wave good-bye.

What???? Are you for real? This one of the reasons we are up against this issue? RUNNING from the law makes us ALL look like a bunch of criminals!! I'd like to pretend I never read your post. Running from the law in any circumstance is just wrong, maybe the Cop was reacting in an foolish manner but he was doing his job. The guys on the sleds should never have run... ever. I know, I've been pulled over when I (we) could have run.

I'm sure you would not run either, if you were being pulled over. We are all tempted when the fine is so high... however, running is deffinately not the solution to the problem.

I agree on one issue... the stupid chances that an officer might take on a busy hiway, uturns etc. to apprehend a snomobiler is foolish!

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Scotty. As tempting as it is to run from them, you're taking quite a risk. They may not catch you this time, but be aware that you've just got their dander up and now they're going to double their efforts to get any snowmobiler they see. It's not a good idea to make cops mad, especially to embarass them, and it only makes it harder on the rest of us. I don't believe they will use a helicopter to chase down sledders, but I'm not interested in making the situation worse for us sledders at this time. I'm not necessarily the most law-abiding citizen when it comes to these things, as I think there are more important things cops should be spending their time on. If we show the cops respect, as most of them aren't really too concerned with us, we should be able to live in peace with them. The biggest problems I think we face are some rogue sledders that cut fences, scream repeatedly by residences at high speeds, drive on private property without permission. These are the sledders that residents complain about, then the cops take notice and we all feel the heat.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Years ago my brother decided to outrun the Boys in Blue with his sled...you guessed it...the sled died and he was caught. They threw the book at him and he ended up with a huge fine and lost his licence for a year. Is it worth it...he said no.
I have to agree with Scotty. As tempting as it is to run from them, you're taking quite a risk. They may not catch you this time, but be aware that you've just got their dander up and now they're going to double their efforts to get any snowmobiler they see. It's not a good idea to make cops mad, especially to embarass them, and it only makes it harder on the rest of us. I don't believe they will use a helicopter to chase down sledders, but I'm not interested in making the situation worse for us sledders at this time. I'm not necessarily the most law-abiding citizen when it comes to these things, as I think there are more important things cops should be spending their time on. If we show the cops respect, as most of them aren't really too concerned with us, we should be able to live in peace with them. The biggest problems I think we face are some rogue sledders that cut fences, scream repeatedly by residences at high speeds, drive on private property without permission. These are the sledders that residents complain about, then the cops take notice and we all feel the heat.

Big Grump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Scotty. The police should be doing more important thing but remember that Strathcona County has budgeted funds to have one R.C.M.P and one By-Law officer to enforce the no off-road vehicle driving. Except on private property or on designated trail systems with purchased trail pass.

Rode and talked with both of them last year out at Ministik. You don't want to run from them. There sleds and atv's have all the markings as the cruisers. So you know what happens when people try and out run the crusiers.

Buster

Reaction score
Remember you have one warning before they swamp you with fines.

Bryan m

Reaction score
Re: County

Just got finished with a phone call from Greg our club president. He has been contacted by the county to discuss some snowmobiling issues or whatever. I also talked to Jackie Fenske the north end councolior about our issues. Will do lunch with her and let her know our issues also. If we all contact our councilor and express our issues in a quiet,responsible,respectfull way things will happen. If so some reason you start to flip out at them they will shut you off and noy be interested. So suck it up and keep your cool when you talk. Now the mission is to talk to your councilor. All this info is for everone out there not just Stratchona county residents.
that's just the thing! all it takes is 1stupid person to go out wrecking peoples property and that in turn wrecks it for the people that don't it's the same thing everywhere and everything else! and thats what sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan m

Reaction score
What???? Are you for real? This one of the reasons we are up against this issue? RUNNING from the law makes us ALL look like a bunch of criminals!! I'd like to pretend I never read your post. Running from the law in any circumstance is just wrong, maybe the Cop was reacting in an foolish manner but he was doing his job. The guys on the sleds should never have run... ever. I know, I've been pulled over when I (we) could have run.

I'm sure you would not run either, if you were being pulled over. We are all tempted when the fine is so high... however, running is deffinately not the solution to the problem.

I agree on one issue... the stupid chances that an officer might take on a busy hiway, uturns etc. to apprehend a snomobiler is foolish!
just like cops on peddle bikes trying to pull over a car!lol just doesn't make any sense!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two neighbors in my subdivision got issued warnings from the RCMP ( not county cops ) for illegally snowmobiling in the subdivisions and ditches. The RCMP officier followed the tracks into yard and wrote up warnings. The officer did not see anyone driving snowmobiles or mentioned that another neighbor reported this illegal activity as a complaint but only noticed tracks leading into the yards. The warning / ticket was written up with about 4 infractions to the traffic act (such as no insurance , no registration, no permission to drive an OHV on crown property etc) I know for a fact that atleast one of the neighbor has current plates and insurance. The officer told him - that said next time the fine will be $625.00 if he has to come to visit again. I don't know where to start ? I guess I can't cut grass in the ditch in front of my house since my lawn tractor is illegal to operate on crown land. Also so much for pushing snow with my quad off the end of the drive way that crosses the ditch. :realmad::rant:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your last couple comments about the lawn tractor and quad should be sent to the council members.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
SO WHY DOES THE COUNTY GET TO USE THOSE UNREGISTERED/PLATED SMALL TRACTOR LAWNMOWERS AROUND TOWN AS WELL?? OR ANY OTHER MAINTENANCE COMPANY WITH RIDING MOWERS/BOBCATS/GRADERS ETC.??? JUST MY ()$*&()%*$& 2 cents worth!!!!! :mad::mad::realmad::rant::rant:

HillbillyMTX

Reaction score
Ron,
I think you're doing the "uneducated" snowmobilers a disservice when you repeat nonsense like "Strathcona County doesn't allow snowmobiling."

Their bylaw is pretty well a copy of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act; and is easy to find on the county website.(and it's easier to read than the Alberta act.)

Essentially (don't quote me in court!; you're responsible for knowing the laws) both the Bylaw and the Act say snowmobile operation is not permitted on "highways". They both define "highway" the same way: from fence-line to fence-line, including any median, and parallel ditches.
It also says you must have the owner's permission to operate on private property other than your own. "Private" also means government-owned property.

Unfair as it is, your machine must be registered (that means also insured) if you operate it anywhere other than private property, with the owner's permission.

I can't believe the County "hates" snowmobiles. They respond to complaints with enforcement. It may come as a shock to many sledders who think they have a God-given right to run anywhere, but most of the people who live in the country do so for the peace and tranquility. Snowmobilers need to quit kidding themselves that their activities are not offensive to residents.

Get yourselves into the mindset, that if you want to sled, load it onto the trailer and take it to Whitecourt or Valemount. The future is now.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that Mr. Hillbilly will be at the meeting Tues. Night. I have been snowmobiling in the county for 30 years and enjoy the opportunity to ride in the county and I also live here to get away from the noise and hussle bussle of the big city. The rural areas of the province have all kinds of noises and smells but thats country living. Snowmobiling is a rural lifestlye that I participate in on a approved trail system. If to much noise is offensive tell your neighbour not to use his lawn mower or chainsaw what about that noisy barking dog or the cows mooing in that next field or the airplanes flying to and from the 2 airports in the county or the upgraders that vent off pressure or smells or just plain noisy,the trucks and motorbikes they all effect us with noise but I live in the country and have learnt to accept these small sample of noises to get the longlasting quiet that is also present MOST of the time. I don`t always want to go somewhere else to have a snowmobiling day. The same can be said to you. Elk Island,Blackfoot, Stratchona Wilderness Centre are all nice places that you can go in the county to experience your wish for total peace and quiet. We both have options here in the county.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said sledderglen. People like mr redneck above (times two) shouldn't be able to ride a quad on the road, or maybe even their vehicle. Maybe they shouldn't be able to walk anymore, all that rustle in the grass creates SUCH huge disturbance :confused: ???? Don't see the idea of being a big PARTY POOPER.

Top Bottom