Strathcona County Bylaws

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all I can say is I look out my window and see nothing but sled tracks. I will take the sound of them over the sounds of buses, car alarms, loud stereos neighbours dogs barking etc. I left the city for the fact that after a long hard day at work I like nothing better then being able to get on the sled or quad and go for a little ride. One can not do that in the city. This kind of activity has been going on for over the last 30 years. Now that people are moving into over sized city lots with city water and plumbing fo 750,000 dollars they want to change the whole mentality of country living

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron,
I think you're doing the "uneducated" snowmobilers a disservice when you repeat nonsense like "Strathcona County doesn't allow snowmobiling."

Their bylaw is pretty well a copy of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act; and is easy to find on the county website.(and it's easier to read than the Alberta act.)

Essentially (don't quote me in court!; you're responsible for knowing the laws) both the Bylaw and the Act say snowmobile operation is not permitted on "highways". They both define "highway" the same way: from fence-line to fence-line, including any median, and parallel ditches.
It also says you must have the owner's permission to operate on private property other than your own. "Private" also means government-owned property.

Unfair as it is, your machine must be registered (that means also insured) if you operate it anywhere other than private property, with the owner's permission.

I can't believe the County "hates" snowmobiles. They respond to complaints with enforcement. It may come as a shock to many sledders who think they have a God-given right to run anywhere, but most of the people who live in the country do so for the peace and tranquility. Snowmobilers need to quit kidding themselves that their activities are not offensive to residents.

Get yourselves into the mindset, that if you want to sled, load it onto the trailer and take it to Whitecourt or Valemount. The future is now.

Well put, "The future is now". So crawl out from under your rock and get a life. Can't we all get along??? Peace out!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron,
I think you're doing the "uneducated" snowmobilers a disservice when you repeat nonsense like "Strathcona County doesn't allow snowmobiling."

Their bylaw is pretty well a copy of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act; and is easy to find on the county website.(and it's easier to read than the Alberta act.)

Essentially (don't quote me in court!; you're responsible for knowing the laws) both the Bylaw and the Act say snowmobile operation is not permitted on "highways". They both define "highway" the same way: from fence-line to fence-line, including any median, and parallel ditches.
It also says you must have the owner's permission to operate on private property other than your own. "Private" also means government-owned property.

Unfair as it is, your machine must be registered (that means also insured) if you operate it anywhere other than private property, with the owner's permission.

I can't believe the County "hates" snowmobiles. They respond to complaints with enforcement. It may come as a shock to many sledders who think they have a God-given right to run anywhere, but most of the people who live in the country do so for the peace and tranquility. Snowmobilers need to quit kidding themselves that their activities are not offensive to residents.

Get yourselves into the mindset, that if you want to sled, load it onto the trailer and take it to Whitecourt or Valemount. The future is now.

Municipalities have the jurisdiction to change the act for organized snowmobiling. How do think they do it in Whitecourt or Smokey Lake and many other places.

Incidentally, I walk my dogs nightly and have been witness to an ever increasing number of drug dealings. There are no police anywhere to be seen (must be stopping sledders). I live in a GOOD neighborhood! I would rather look out the window and see a couple sledders out having fun than the gangster wanna be dealers parked with their booming stereos, waiting for the drop off. That's probably why you moved out to the country too. So sad Mr. Hillbilly.....country living comes with a whole set of new rules.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron,

Mr Hillbilly, who are you to tell all the sledders to load up and drive hours away to sled? Just because some residents find sledding offensive, then no one should be allowed to do it? That isn't reasonable and smacks of intolerance. There are many activities others do around me that I either don't engage in or don't like, but you don't see me trying to ban them, but that seems to be the mindset of people like you in this County, ban, ban, ban. There seem to be a few vocal residents that think this County should be some sort of Shangri La Utopia, and if anyone doesn't agree with their viewpoint, then they run to their Concillors and cry for a ban. That seems to be the new rally cry nowadays. Why do you feel that because you hear a snowmobile (or quad for that matter) go by once in awhile that it must be banned? As I said, you just don't have any tolerance for other lifestyles.

xxx

Reaction score
Ron,

Maybe you should stop being so hen pecked and go enjoy yourself on a snowmobile or atv.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all those that have come out tonight. We had a good presentation and good questions asked. NOW WHAT??? Well we have to follow it up with e-mails,phone calls and letters to your councoliers please this is a must due. Just ask for their support on the presentation.. Hope this works

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great job from the pannel of presenters on behalf of the snowmbile community. The power point was great and the presentation was organized and professional. I was not sure about some comments from the councilors - they mentioned that traveling in the dithces was out of their hands since it falls under provincial laws. I agree that this is true for numbered highways but dosen't the County have jurisdiction on their own rural roads ? Also it was interesting to hear that the northern link ( north of Cooking Lake ) is 90 % on private land and the southern link is basically 5 kms on RR 214. If I understand the information correctly - we are only asking for permission on about 5 km of ditch ( plus the Antler Lake link - not sure what distance that link is ). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The councioller wasn`t right about the county roads but I wasn`t going to start a discussion with him. The county can make a by-law that allows access along the roads such as 214. Not 1,2 or 3 numbered highways. There is more than 5 km that will be needed from Antler Lake north of hwy. 16 north for maybe 8 k more or so

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... in summary it sounds like it comes down to 13 Kms or so of ditch riding / access to create a link between the two most popular riding areas in the county. :confused: You would think that the county would be more then willing to bend over backwards to make this link a reality since they have stolen so many tax payers winter passtime? It might eliminate alot of the "Illegal snowmobiling" everywhere else in the county as riders have a "safe zone" if you may, and provide a Legal alternative that only covers 13 K??? No brainer to me? I live on 214 north of Cooking and can't see why this would be a problem... ofcourse I'm a sleddhead :)

I wish I could have made last nights meeting but my family arrived from Mexico and I was picking them up. Anyhow, they probably would'nt have allowed me into the County Building with my PitchFork!! :D:D

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron,

you just made my milk sour...........and i drank it this morning!!!im gunna bite my lip.

whopper809

Reaction score
I've been country living since the age of 5yrs old, now 36, and I enjoy nothing else more than seeing people riding past our place enjoying life to the fullest with the use of QUADS, DIRTBIKES, SLEDS. You know, most people don't figure out that you need to LIVE everyday of your life to the fullest, life is to short and if the use of quads, dirtbikes, sleds, bicycles, horses, hiking, gardening, bird watching or what ever, if it puts a smile on peoples faces, then I say do it. I have always found it strange how OHV users never seem to call the police when they come across people using their designated and personnaly maintained trails for non ohv use, but reverse the situation and HOLYCOW. I know the noise and late night noise is a big or the biggest issue, but since it's illegal to ride in many areas do people really think that noise and late night noise won't happen. Give people trails and areas and most probably wouldn't be out late at night. They already would of had there fill for the day.

If the countys would just allow or setup designated trails and area, with the expected rules for OHV's to use or course, the problem of illegal riding would almost become unheard of, but as always having a county just doing this on there own, FORGET IT.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the only response I have received so far, I sent my letter to all councilors and the mayer.

Hello Sean and thanks again for your further e-mail on this issue. I am hopeful that we will be able to strike a balance to accommodate everyone. I fully understand your issues and also the issues that were presented to us. You have my assurance that I will fully consider both sides of this issue at all times. Thanks again for writing. Best Regards Peter.

Peter Wlodarczak
Councillor, Ward 4
Strathcona County
2001 Sherwood Drive
Sherwood Park, AB T8A 3W7
780-464-8146
wlodarczak@strathcona.ab.ca

>>> Sean 03/08/08 2:51 PM >>>

To all

I attended the open house on Feb 26.2008. I listened intently to the presentation put on by the Tri-county and Fort Saskatchewan snowmobile clubs regarding the proposal of a snowmobile corridor in Strathcona County. This trail would link Ministik to South Cooking Lake, Antler Lake and then join up to the trails the Fort Saskatchewan club maintains. As a taxpayer in this county and an avid snowmobiler, I urge you to reconsider the no riding policy and allow this corridor to operate.

I moved to the acreage so I could enjoy MY rural lifestyle. What we are asking is not unreasonable. By allowing a trail, run and maintained by ASA(Alberta Snowmobile Association) associated clubs I believe it will curtail some of the illegal riding in this county and hopefully cut down on the number of nuisance complaints that the RCMP receive. There are a lot of us that abide by the laws. Registering, insuring our snowmobile and supporting the ASA and local clubs by purchasing a trail pass. Regardless of our efforts or yours there will always be those that will choose to break the laws. That much is evident by the vehicles speeding past our house, the guys burning donuts by the community mailboxes, those people in such a hurry to go no where the blow thought the stop sign without slowing down and then there are the motorcycles riders that speed past the house with their straight pipes (some think snowmobiles are loud?) Consider also that the motorcycle season is typically is longer than sledding season. Why are not these people targeted? Why are we snowmobilers discriminated against?

Our riding season lately is short, this year from late December to mid February. Barely 3 months. Some seasons are longer and some are shorter. 2002 for example we had no snow at all to ride on.

I hope you won’t be coerced by the negativity and complaining a few people have to our activity during the short riding season, but will understand that there is a large group of residents in this county that are looking to council to have the vision to realize how having a legal corridor to ride in and out of our County to other Counties will be beneficial to the residents and some businesses. ie: those providing food and fuel.

To those in the community that live along the proposed corridor I am only asking to be allowed to enjoy my recreational activity legally in this county as I’m sure you are able to enjoy yours. Also consider that this group did not come to council asking them to spend thousands of taxpayer’s money. We just want to ride legally in the County during our short riding season.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully

Sean

(snowmobiler and taxpayer)

Last edited:
Top Bottom