Storage on new XM, underseat?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, got the T3 home and now it's time to find room for all my "stuff!"
My underseat bag on the Pro was where the saw, tarp, tow rope, block and tackle etc lived.
My extras were in the mountain addiction tunnel bag.
Well, I tell Ya what, not much fits in that seat storage compartment. Here is a question.
Has anyone ever cut some foam out of the seat base and incorporated a storage box of any kind?
Or how about a storage box where the battery lives?
Anybody smarter then me figure out how to carry rarely used stuff on their XM?

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up i was considering doing this to carry another belt under the seat. but came to the conclusion that if u are going to take that much foam out the seat and u say accidentally hit a drop or do one on purpose etc etc. the chances of you feeling that lack of foam on ur rear end would be highly likely. something to consider.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They make an extension for the trunk, pretty popular with some guys I ride with. I didn't cut any foam but pulled the manual out from under the seat and stuck the stock toolkit in there.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my '09 I pulled some foam out and put a bunch of tools in a pencil case and stuck it under the seat. Worked great!

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I've seen the seat extension thing but I think I would catch my foot on it all the time.
Yes, I'm old, out of shape and too lazy to lift my foot just a little but higher...
Good points about feeling it through the seat foam. I never thought too much on that...
I do think there is some room to be used near the battery tray though.......

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plan to remove a bit of foam to store my toe strap. Looks like only an inch or so needs to come out. If I don't have that with me, how will the poos get home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just be careful that you don't have anything pointy poking the gas tank. Know of one guy that needed to buy a new tank

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I did this (took some foam out) with my '08. There were lots of times that I felt the lump. I haven't done it since but small things like fire starter, matches in waterproof containers, small speciality tools could easily go there without a problem.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I've seen the seat extension thing but I think I would catch my foot on it all the time.
Yes, I'm old, out of shape and too lazy to lift my foot just a little but higher...
Good points about feeling it through the seat foam. I never thought too much on that...
I do think there is some room to be used near the battery tray though.......

IF you are not using electric start, the battery tray and hold down is where I hide stuff. Good location and keeps cool for the most part. That tray easily holds 2 waters or a pretty stout first aid kit. Obviously if you are running electric start, you are SOL.

Brentk

Reaction score
Ya this is the way to go from my experience. It doesn't get in the way and it holds more then you would think. I only carry the necessary. If I have to spend the night I'm fine, but that is so rare...right?!
This is what you need.

Top Bottom