Stock Skid

JBEST103

Reaction score
Hey Guys I have a turbo etec and in the steep and deep its a handful to keep the front end down. Doing a 3 inch track this summer and was wondering is there any thing a guy can do to the stock skid to help it perform better? Or is the only solution to buy a aftermarket skid. The sled is a 163 summit X. Thanks in advance!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a racers edge suspension on it. That oughta help it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Underdog, is that a full replacement or just the rear shock?

Just the rear shock. You tell them your riding style, and weight, and they custom build it for you. I believe its built by baker brothers.
I'll do some digging and let you know.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Daryl baker from Calgary makes them.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baker's company is the Racer's Edge in Dewinton (south of Calgary) 403-254-8686

They do not have a website, or atleast a functioning one.

The suspension mod they do is basically a semi coupled mod. Its a quality mod, but you pay for it.

Give them a call and see what the suggest with your application. I am guessing you have already sucked up the limiter strap and added heavier rear springs to try and compensate?

Are you just running 7 tooths to get the clearance for the 3"? That will effect your gearing question.

Get some video up of your turbo etec, there are a few guys on here who would love to see a solid working one. :beer:

JBEST103

Reaction score
No i havent touched the skid yet actually so i will try those things out this winter when i get it out. Also does anyone use the scissor relocation brackets? The sled ran well last winter a few tuning hiccups. Been talking with neil hopefully will get a boost it system on the sled this winter:)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will vouch on the Baker skid as well. Have run it on my XP's since 2009. They are pricey (around 2g) but I wouldn't be without mine. Alot of the big Yammie turbo guys run it as well and highly recommend the kit. NM is one of them.

JBEST103

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys i will have to give baker a shout and get one lined up for this season. Will have to take some time off work this winter and get out more!

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the cash(the turbo tells me you might), baker's skid is the way to go.....$2000, but sweetness.

Had the sag reducers the first season and put Daryl's skid in my 154 last year and it was night and day. Will be the first mod in all future sleds of mine.Very happy.

JBEST103

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys sounds like bakers skid is the way to go. Need to do something im sure with the 3 inch track those skis wont be touching the ground all the much with the stock skid!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...........is that a full replacement or just the rear shock?

Its a rear shock for the price of a full replacement. Heard they work good but too much money for what you get IMHO.

I would check out KMOD if I were you. In my opinion way more bang for your buck. You will probably drop wieght and control your wheelying. They work sweet on turboed sleds. Rode a TM8 with one on and it was unreal. http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a rear shock for the price of a full replacement. Heard they work good but too much money for what you get IMHO.

I would check out KMOD if I were you. In my opinion way more bang for your buck. You will probably drop wieght and control your wheelying. They work sweet on turboed sleds. Rode a TM8 with one on and it was unreal. http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/

It is a bit more than a rear shock. There is also a complete rear semi coupled arm assembly and new rear brackets. The shock is a high end totally external adjustable shock and Baker will set it up for your weight and riding style right in his shop. Pretty hard to beat that kind of quality and service.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remeber when baker first designed that rear 1/2 skid. It's pretty nice. But i also like the fact of someone pointin out other brands. I personally run a K-Mod in my sled and absolutely love it. They will also set it up for yah and they are great to deal with. When i got mine it was from a budyy who was a fair bit bigger than me. So i called up kmod and they faxed me the specs to change the valving in the shock and also the lighter spring that i'd need.

Top Bottom