Stock Pipe Insulation

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
just wondering if you can take off the insulation from your stock pipe without worrying about melting components around it? The insulation is starting to break loose on the pipe of my 02 summit, sending red dust everywhere and making a mess of my engine compartment... and I'm not thinking I want it being sucked through the air intake! haha
any input would be appreciated
thanks

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, the pipe is fairly close to the side of the belly...sometimes you can find like new stock exhausts for like 50 bucks... Unless u don't want to spend 50 buck lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could always wrap it in exhaust wrap or ceramic coat it.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take off insulation and get it ceramic coated and it will be fine...

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take that insulation off its rusting the sh*t out of your pipe,you will have no issues with melting,just make sure your wiring harness isn't flopping around,

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u need either the 1/2 covers or cerm coat it.... u need something on the pipe to hold the heat in... 2 strokes need pipe heat to work right

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, the pipe is fairly close to the side of the belly...sometimes you can find like new stock exhausts for like 50 bucks... Unless u don't want to spend 50 buck lol

Agree, go buy a cheap new stock exhaust. Lots of people have them hanging in their shops.

You want pipe heat, don't remove it without replacing it with something.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a bunch of crap,u don't need nothing on your pipe,why would any aftermarket pipe company sell there singles or twins with no insulation,i've never noticed any difference when removing it,you will notice a difference if u ceramic coat it though.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a bunch of crap,u don't need nothing on your pipe,why would any aftermarket pipe company sell there singles or twins with no insulation,i've never noticed any difference when removing it,you will notice a difference if u ceramic coat it though.

aftermarket is either a black ceramic coating or the silver coating........

no aftermarket pipe has no coating .....

and the main difference in power with an aftermarket pipe is the coating....

if u coat a stock pipe then it works just like an aftermarket one

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so why are black pipes 100$ cheaper than silver ceramic coated ones...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aftermarket is either a black ceramic coating or the silver coating........

no aftermarket pipe has no coating .....

and the main difference in power with an aftermarket pipe is the coating....

if u coat a stock pipe then it works just like an aftermarket one

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Most pipes from the aftermarket are just painted black. You can get ceramic coating from some manufacturers, but I can personally guarantee that AAEN pipes and JAWS pipes do not come with any coating unless you order it. I have a set of both and they were not coated from the factory, just painted black. You can order custom pipes that do not have any coating also.

If you coat a stock pipe it might perform a little better than stock, but it will never compete with an aftermarket pipe.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Most pipes from the aftermarket are just painted black. You can get ceramic coating from some manufacturers, but I can personally guarantee that AAEN pipes and JAWS pipes do not come with any coating unless you order it. I have a set of both and they were not coated from the factory, just painted black. You can order custom pipes that do not have any coating also.

If you coat a stock pipe it might perform a little better than stock, but it will never compete with an aftermarket pipe.

so a stock newer 800doo pipe coated and a bikeman ceramic pipe for example....

has the same power.... have dynoed it... sorry

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe u should re read what he posted,black pipes are painted there tex...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the bikeman pipe i had before was a black ceramic coating from swan coatings.....

i seen what modman put....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so what the guy is askin is to kybosh the clam shells or not...

his doo 800 will suck ass if he doesn't have something to keep pipe heat in....

so either ceramic coat your pipe, buy a aftermarket ceramic coated pipe, or leave the shells on and use an extra cover under your hood to keep the pipe from rustin....

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You dont need sh*t on your pipe that insulation gets wet and takes forever to dry out and rusts your pipe away.all that crap is there for sound,to try and keep them as quite as possible,what do you think all that foam does inside your belly pan and hood.nothing at all except keep the sound down,it gets wet and is 2-3 times heavier .i've had lots of sleds and the first thing i do is ditch all that sound proofing sh*t.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so a stock newer 800doo pipe coated and a bikeman ceramic pipe for example....

has the same power.... have dynoed it... sorry

that doesn't prove that a coated Doo pipe makes as much as an aftermarket pipe, all it proves is that you bought a pipe that maybe doesn't make any more power than the stock one.

You are basically saying the coating adds _X_ HP (lets use 5 HP just as a number but likely the increase is only 1-2 HP - but I like the #5). If your theory holds true, the coated bikeman pipe should have made more power over stock because it was also coated. i.e. if the BMP made (allegedly) 5 HP more than the stocker, and coating the stocker gave it 5 HP more so it was even with the BMP pipe, then wouldn't coating the BMP pipe also give it the same 5 HP increase? So in theory you should still have 5 HP over stock. If your coated stock pipe, made as much HP as your coated aftermarket pipe, and the coating adds the same HP to both pipes, then wouldn't they be making the same HP uncoated as well? If that's true, then your aftermarket pipe doesn't make any more power than the stocker to begin with, coated or uncoated.

Do you have the dyno sheets for the test? Was the pipe set up to the manufacturers specs (jetting etc)? Was the motor run first with the stocker and then with the aftermarket? Were the dyno runs mirror images of one another on different days or were they run back to back with the motor being cold for the stock pipe and warm for the aftermarket pipe? Were the pipes run without ceramic coating first to determine the HP increase that the coating added? Were the peak tq values the same or different and at what RPM?

What was the variability in the dyno runs? If there was only a 2-3 HP difference in the dyno runs then that is easily within the variability of the dyno, motor temp, and pipe coating. Ceramic coating is not going to add huge amounts of HP, 2-3 HP is easily within the limit IMO, it will improve the heat efficiency of the pipes far more than adding a huge amount of HP.

Top Bottom