Stewart/Hyder early season snow?

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Hey! Talkin with some buddies about heading up to Stewart at the end of October. Just wondering how the snow is coming along this year? Any pics too?

Thanks in advance

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not in stewart, but i am in northern BC and i can tell you that it has been very warm up here the last few weeks. They are calling for the weather to cool off so who knows what will happen by the end of the month. Try again in a couple of weeks and see what it is like then.....

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stewart is one of those places where you can get a lot of snow in a hurry and you can lose a lot of snow in a hurry due to rain. I know stewart has been seeing a fair amount of rain but like the Whitegold said it has been pretty mild. By the way whitegold are the peaks starting to get white in Smithers yet. I want to go out digging rememberance day.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mountains should be good to go by remembrance day.... we usually go for our first ride then. It has been raining steady in the valley here for the last 5 days, and the temp has been around 8 degrees. I haven't been able to see the mountains for the low cloud but I'm hoping the rain down here is being dumped as snow up there. When the clouds clear I'll let ya know what it looks like....

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Colin and Ben are good people. I have a buddy up there right now building them a new camp at the mine site. :)

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine went up the mic here (Smithers) and they said there is about a foot of snow there now.... hopefully we will get a dump more in the next couple of weeks...

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went tobagganing with the little guy on monday up the ski hill little over a foot at the green T so it is coming and in a hurry.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anybody have an update on the conditions in stewart, some buddies and i were thinking of going remembrance day long weekend. any news helps!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A pretty major system just moved through here in Terrace. It rained a lot today maybe 50-75mm of rain since last night...would be all snow up top...it would have gotten it up in Stewart as we generally have the same weather patterns.

Snow line is about 750-1000metres in Terrace and would for sure be lower in Stewart. It was bare at the mid to lower elevations but in Stewart they can drive up to the snow. I would think you would be good to go but i would contact someone up there before I made the trip Hoping for another 07/08 type winter check the vid out - early season stewart riding

Sounds like they are already riding smithers so you could always go there if stewart wasn't good to go.

If i hear of any updates i will post them

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anybody have an update on the conditions in stewart, some buddies and i were thinking of going remembrance day long weekend. any news helps!

hey man I should be around that weekend, give me a shout if your in the area, always looking for riders.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was posted on the Stewart website today. Looks like im loading up and heading north :d

" OK, its time to let the cat out of the bag.
« on: Today at 06:04:47 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, we rode to the cabin yesterday, there is 5 feet of snow there. It was epic. The first REAL ride of the season, the first three still count though (we took a vote). It was stuckfest 2010 for me."

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
This was posted on the Stewart website today. Looks like im loading up and heading north :d

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, we rode to the cabin yesterday, there is 5 feet of snow there. It was epic. The first REAL ride of the season, the first three still count though (we took a vote). It was stuckfest 2010 for me."

What website is that? So does this mean you can ride in stewart now too not just smithers?:d

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

loading up.... meet ya there!!!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What website is that? So does this mean you can ride in stewart now too not just smithers?:d

Here's the link..then go to the discusion forum. Bordertown Snowbombers Snowmobile Society

5 feet is a go in my books.

They were saying even with 5 feet there are obstacles still (no real base yet) so i imagine it is still a bit sketchy.

Looks like there will be a storm coming through starting tomorrow through the weekend but 5 feet and snowing sounds better than sitting at home (I'm only 3hrs away though). It is cold and sunny right now.

It looks pretty good even here however just not enough lower elevation snow to get up top.

Now i won't be able to sleep the rest of the week haha:beer:

Top Bottom