Steel cable or Rope for winch?

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering about what best for a winch.:confused:

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it will depend on how much you use it. i really like the rope style but it is not as forgiving the steel if you abuse it. the rope is way lighter and easier to work with for sure but the price is alot more. just my opinion:):)

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Agree. Rope seems to very tough, have put it through hell. Just have to watch when it winds up under load it digs into itself which makes it tough to pull out by hand when you put winch into freespool.

weldor

Reaction score
I have the synthetic rope on my winch and love it. I can't see going to a cable again. No splinters, no kinking, way safer.

uuoody

Reaction score
A co worker of mine from Malaysia has a custom jeep, and he is in a big club there. They are all switching over to Dyneema rope, which is stonger and lighter. Dyneema resists the sun and water better than some synthetics, and they use it for marine applications as well. I found a supplier here in China, but I'm not sure how it compares in price to Canada.

H.C.

Reaction score
I prefer the rope, its lighter and easier to work with.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep go with the rope everytime, so much better. You'll never go back to the steel once you try the rope, well worth the extra cash...

SweetBrian

Reaction score
If you switch over from a cable to rope make sure you check your fairlead if its worn you will want to throw a new one on so you don't damage the rope

402camaro

Reaction score
I found the rope nice to use but in my group we have had some problems. Some tends to almost rot a little and gets easy to break. When you get back from a ride simply free spool it out so it can dry, haven't had a problem since.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what i was wondering about, leaving it wet and the rope rotting has anyone else had this problem?

mudmonkey

Reaction score
My buddy and I bought a couple of rope winches last year for our Polaris 500 machines. We haven't used them yet but from our experience with wire winch cables we used them in one year and we weren't impressed. The wire cables kept on bunching up and fraying to a point we had no option but to try something new. From what we have been told by a Warn winch distributer is that the rope winch is just as strong as the wire cable. Also it feeds onto the spool easier and doesn't bind as much. We'll find out how good they are this spring.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I bought a couple of rope winches last year for our Polaris 500 machines. We haven't used them yet but from our experience with wire winch cables we used them in one year and we weren't impressed. The wire cables kept on bunching up and fraying to a point we had no option but to try something new. From what we have been told by a Warn winch distributer is that the rope winch is just as strong as the wire cable. Also it feeds onto the spool easier and doesn't bind as much. We'll find out how good they are this spring.
If you havent had to use them yet, it is because the Polairis are getting towed home vs. riding them. Wouldnt:d have one.:d

farmboy020

Reaction score
Hey guys i just picked up a free winch from a friend on mine off his old quad. THe cable is broken however. From what i have read the rope is the way to go. But is it stronger because i only have 450 and everyone i ride with has like 700 or 750 's. Also where can i get the rope for the winch. Thank guys much appreciated.

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i picked up a rope there yesterday so we will see what happens.sure was nice to put on thou. has any one used it for a snow plow in the winter and does it last or wear like a cable

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to be odd man out....I recommend ROPE as well. Had some problems with cable kinks....

Top Bottom