Starlink

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today is a good day 29.5 Mbps download and 15.5 upload

That’s respectable speed. If you’re doing gaming and happy with your current download speed it might not be worth it.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The foot print must have gotten bigger? More sattelites?

I also now received my invite for starlink.

Cold Lake, north of Llyodminster, AB
54.4643° N, 110.1733° W

Followed link and they want some some money to get the ball rolling. Nice....

That’s the furthest north I’ve heard of. They just sent another 60 satellites up last night/this morning.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The foot print must have gotten bigger? More sattelites?

I also now received my invite for starlink.

Cold Lake, north of Llyodminster, AB
54.4643° N, 110.1733° W

Followed link and they want some some money to get the ball rolling. Nice....

Well wtf Elon, that is north of me, no invite.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

He plays hard to get. Didn’t invite me either but after the neighbor did him, I forced myself on him and he took my money.

Hope he calls me back tomorrow...:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've got the Telus hub and my speeds are the same. \half the time I'm waiting for videos to load like in the old dial up days.Or it just quits altogether.
A good day for me is when the speed test actually complete the test. Than it might say 1 or 2 at best.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Since this is a new area what they will do is selectively choose beta based on address. Once people get set up they can monitor and evaluate things for a small group. Then they will just allow everyone in that area to sign up shortly after.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since this is a new area what they will do is selectively choose beta based on address. Once people get set up they can monitor and evaluate things for a small group. Then they will just allow everyone in that area to sign up shortly after.

I wonder if this will end up slowing down as well with more people signing up in the future?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this will end up slowing down as well with more people signing up in the future?

Likely. This has been the one major issue with Starlink. It sounds like each satellite is only capable of supporting about 20 Gbit/s of data throughput, or 200 simultaneous 100mbit/s connections. It is estimated that once the constellation reaches full capacity in 2026 the satellites will only be able to support 500,000 simultaneous connections at 100mbit/s over the continental US. Obviously not everyone is using data at the same time, or even that full amount, but I think this shows the limits of what the current Starlink tech is.

Really though this isn't different than any other ISP, unless you live in a brand new subdivision where the infrastructure was built for growth, the bandwidth will be oversold, under the assumption that only a fraction of connections are active at any given time, and those that are active are only using a fraction of their max bandwidth.

My hunch is that if this first constellation works well, Starlink will create more advanced satellites with more throughput.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let’s hope they only offer the service to rural areas where no other service is available. I think the other major players will keep their market share in urban areas simply as a matter of convenience for existing consumers. Let’s hope given the population density in rural Canada and the distances between users that we never get to system saturation. Does anyone know how many ground stations this system has? If the satellites all feed back to master satellites that then downlink to just a few ground stations then that could be a bottleneck.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the map of grounds stations as of almost a year ago. It's extremely easy for them to add more ground stations, assuming they can find a location with an extremely high bandwidth fiberoptic backbone connection to tap into.

I don't see Starlink limiting access to urban areas, they received subsidies from the US government to the tune of $1 billion dollars to help with the setup, most of which for rural users, but some for urban areas, as many places there is a monopoly by a single ISP.

ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

ldbf4cscelv41.jpg

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the map of grounds stations as of almost a year ago. It's extremely easy for them to add more ground stations, assuming they can find a location with an extremely high bandwidth fiberoptic backbone connection to tap into.

I don't see Starlink limiting access to urban areas, they received subsidies from the US government to the tune of $1 billion dollars to help with the setup, most of which for rural users, but some for urban areas, as many places there is a monopoly by a single ISP.

View attachment 232374

https://preview.redd.it/ldbf4cscelv41.jpg?auto=webp&d1d252d6

I didn’t get the link to a map....I think human nature being what it is, most urban dwellers will keep the status quo if their existing providers are working for them, and lots of urbanites either won’t want or can’t have a dish....either way hopefully the star link system will be able to change and adapt so us rural users get decent service....also, anyone out there that has a system operating, what is the dish orientation and look angle?

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get the link to a map....I think human nature being what it is, most urban dwellers will keep the status quo if their existing providers are working for them, and lots of urbanites either won’t want or can’t have a dish....either way hopefully the star link system will be able to change and adapt so us rural users get decent service....also, anyone out there that has a system operating, what is the dish orientation and look angle?

I can see it in my post and your quote.

Most living in the city won't switch, there is no justification to. I can get gigabit speed internet through 2 different providers for about the same cost as Starlink. And both are reliable. The only thing that would make me want to switch is latency, almost every speedtest I've seen of Starlink has lower latency than I get.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I haven’t noticed any difference yet. The current speeds are 100-150mbit with the long term goal being 10gbit (100x faster).

Also, check out this campers set up (not mine).

add17b3d09345960c684d7c47027f439.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was so close to pulling the trigger on a $3500 fibre line to my acreage last spring. $125 a month for 125 mbps sure glad I was hesitant when they were ducking around when I was emailing them. Starlink will be much much cheaper. I also can take starlink with me when I move.

Top Bottom