Starlink

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we recently moved out into Parkland County, put a deposit on Starlink setup but guess where the one tiny little "area not covered" yet is on their availability map? Yep, smack dab right where our acreage is. Here's the thing, my buddy literally lives 500ft down the road from me, in the same "coming to you soon" area, yet has his starlink setup. He said it took about a month from ordering to delivery. I can't find any customer support number or email on Starlink's website to ask what gives. Does anyone have any insight on how to get a hold of them?

I'm going to be in the same boat in about a week. Out near Chickakoo
Know two people out on RR13 that had same thing. One guy waited 6 months for it, another guy waited only 1 month. Hopefully me and you dont have to wai tlonger than a month. I had to change the address from Onoway to Parkland County

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worst case scenario order the roam and use a family members address to set it up that's in the available zone.

Problem with that is people with the dedicated house one get priority over roam customers. Was going to do that too until I heard roam gets dialed back

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, and you pay more for the dish and more per month.

But if its the only option it's better than nothing.

I'd take my chances with Telus until starlink comes around then

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using the + code location from Google maps when you search to see if it's available? Or your address?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with that is people with the dedicated house one get priority over roam customers. Was going to do that too until I heard roam gets dialed back

Not exactly correct, you get priority in your address area or home. When travelling you are not in Your address area so Not a big deal. 150 upload and 50-75 download speed while camping is better than nothing. Mine did everything I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we were camping I found what I thought were oddities? FaceTime calls would buffer so bad basically a waste of time. Snow and Mud would freeze often. Facebook was flawless. Streaming movies or Amazon was flawless? Wouldn’t you draw more juice for a movie than snow and mud?

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we were camping I found what I thought were oddities? FaceTime calls would buffer so bad basically a waste of time. Snow and Mud would freeze often. Facebook was flawless. Streaming movies or Amazon was flawless? Wouldn’t you draw more juice for a movie than snow and mud?
Probably Trudy censoring the Conspiracy Theories thread for you.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Starlink says during peak usage times non local dishes get throttled back. Maybe it was just a coincidence when you tried that some worked well and some didn’t? Sometimes my speed was slow around 5-7pm.
Obstructions also affect the speed, cloudy smoky days it seems to me my speeds got slower.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starlink says during peak usage times non local dishes get throttled back. Maybe it was just a coincidence when you tried that some worked well and some didn’t? Sometimes my speed was slow around 5-7pm.
Obstructions also affect the speed, cloudy smoky days it seems to me my speeds got slower.

We usually have all the loops every morning for exercise Matt and only saw one other rig with a Starlink system and they were 2 loops over. Not sure if that is to close? We were in Kananaskis so no cell coverage at all where we camp

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually have all the loops every morning for exercise Matt and only saw one other rig with a Starlink system and they were 2 loops over. Not sure if that is to close? We were in Kananaskis so no cell coverage at all where we camp

Could be the mountains too. Starlink isn't like satellite TV that has a geostationary satellite in a fixed point. Starlink satellites orbit at 500km and move across the horizon relatively quickly. If something obstructs that the connection will drop on and off. Starlink tracks the satellite quite low on the horizon, down to about 25 degrees from the horizontal.

Another thing is movies, YouTube, Facebook etc all buffer, and have extra data cached on your device. For videos it could be a few minutes, Facebook could be a dozen or more posts so you have a nice viewing experience and you'll never notice if the connection drops for 30 seconds. Video calls are different and require a low latency connection for call quality.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_2896.jpeg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly correct, you get priority in your address area or home. When travelling you are not in Your address area so Not a big deal. 150 upload and 50-75 download speed while camping is better than nothing. Mine did everything I wanted.

Good to know. Still not worth the extra cost to myself IMO
Are you using the + code location from Google maps when you search to see if it's available? Or your address?
address. It's weird though. when looking on Canada post it says onoway, and on starlink. When i seigned the papers at lawyers it comes up parkland county.
Even weirder house insurance is 300 a year cheaper because parkland, not onoway

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you go into your app on the phone there is a button labeled statistics…

In the next page there is a button that says outages. It should tell you if they were caused by obstructions or network issues.

ff5c71aebece742a98c9910731bc08f6.png

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had ours for 3 weeks now, it's OK, we do get obstructions a fair bit since we live in forest but I'm not logging the property for better internet, it also always acts up around 10 pm, like isay it's OK but get better service through data on my phone. Sucks it won't let me cast to yhe tv if I'm on data, only on the starlink wifi

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the same boat in about a week. Out near Chickakoo
Know two people out on RR13 that had same thing. One guy waited 6 months for it, another guy waited only 1 month. Hopefully me and you dont have to wai tlonger than a month. I had to change the address from Onoway to Parkland County
Hopefully Starlink ships it out soon. I've thought of ordering a setup and have it shipped to my parents place in St. Albert and then just change the address but I have a feeling that will not work as intended.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the shipping address and the physical address are separate. I had mine shipped to my companies office, I had it pretty quick as well.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember right, the shipping address and the physical address are separate. I had mine shipped to my companies office, I had it pretty quick as well.

yes, you can have a separate shipping address.

Top Bottom