St. Paul & the Iron Horse Trail

smiley1

Reaction score
Great Pics,

More snow than we have out west of edmonton anyway...

I've got a lakelot on Upper Mann lake just 300m from the ironhorse and I've yet to get up there with the sleds...looks like I better start making some plans...Thanks for the update.

Where can I buy a ASA trail pass? are the passes good for all the diferent local trail systems? how does it work, is it a pass for each machine?

Thanks,

Bogger

Hi Bogger; your area was just groomed last Fri/Sat; so the IHT is in great shape. You can get your trail passes from any of the St.Paul Trailblazers or at any of the 4 sled dealers in St.Paul. The ASA trail passes are good for all of trails along with all of the other ASA club trails in Alberta; we all support each other; helps to cover costs, signage, grooming, etc.
Take care; hope you make it down; Smiley :)

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows when elk point does there vintage ride, we went to it from our lake last year and had a blast.
They went from elk point to heinsburg and back.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows when elk point does there vintage ride, we went to it from our lake last year and had a blast.
They went from elk point to heinsburg and back.
Call Gery @ 780-645-5866 he knows, I think it is in early March

smiley1

Reaction score
Quick update on IHT, put on 180 kms North East of St.Paul; snow was pretty good; riding was great; but fences are getting in the way each and every year; so riding places are getting limited...that's why the Iron Horse Trail is so nice; can get to a lot of places and you can get miles put on....
IHT is in great shape in the NE and grooming is holding out really good; except for 3 to 4 miles west of Bonnyville because of all the sled traffic and it's well used.
That's that for that; Smiley :)

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are a whole bunch of us doing the garner lake trail north of heinsburg this weekend. we will be leaving from are lake. and are taking a back way in kinda secret way as i like to say. if anyone would like to hook up for a ride let me know we will be hitten the trail at about 10 sat.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I might be meeting a buddy in waseteneau @ 9am to take a run to my lakelot on Upper Mann... gotta figure out a schedule but we'll be riding in the area for the day..

Bogger:beer:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The family and I rode from Smokey Lake to Vilna last Sunday then St Paul to Elk Point Monday.....trail was in good shape. I have never riden groomed trails before but it was good for the family. Still managed to find so hills and places to play.....met a good bunch in Elk Point and had lunch on there fire.....

One guy there talked about Moose Mountain 8 miles north of Elk Point having 3 to 4 feet of snow.....anybody heard of the place?

Would luv to go along on your ride, will keep watching the posts and maybe in March...

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been to Moose Mtn. allot, no problem doing 80 miles there.

smiley1

Reaction score
Grooming update; IHT was groomed from St.Paul to Ashmont to Vilna to Smoky Lake last Sunday; than Smoky to Wasteneau and back Monday. Just finished grooming from Vilna to Mallaig Tuesday night; with tons of new fresh snow in the past few days; Great! Now the boys from Bonnyville are working on thier portion of the IHT and heading to Cold Lake; so the IHT is good to go; 'Now With New Snow' :)

That's that for that; Smiley:)

Hitchguy

Reaction score
Just wodering how the trail was we are going to ride from Waskatenau to either cold lake or elk point tommorow leaving @ 9:30 - 10:00 from Waskatenau if any one wants to join in.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wodering how the trail was we are going to ride from Waskatenau to either cold lake or elk point tommorow leaving @ 9:30 - 10:00 from Waskatenau if any one wants to join in.
i drove from St.Paul to Smoky Lake by vehicle, the trail looked good I did see one guy on there by Vilna at about 1pm.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Rode from Smoky to Ashmont this afternoon with a few side trips. Wear your kidney belt because after Vilna you will be contending with a lot of drifts across the trail. Still a good ride today though of 99.7 miles.

Hitchguy

Reaction score
is there any more grooming happening on the trail. We were looking to go riding this week sometime thanks

smiley1

Reaction score
Hi; grooming was done the past week in and around Cold Lake on thier trail systems; now we are working on getting the IHT groomed from Cold Lake to Bonnyville and Abiliene this week. With the new snowfall; we hope to get the whole IHT done. (all depends on the volunteer operators; but we'll try our best). But overall; the fresh snow's just great.
Smiley :)

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got a couple of inches of snow this weekend so now the IHT has snow on it; some sleds have been on there. Hopefully with more snow this month we can hopefully be grooming later this month. I will keep everyone posted; Smiley :)

update: March 27, 2009

Great Local snow! and fresh grooming throughout. As of yesterday, the gang out West groomed thru Smoky Lake.
The Iron Horse trail is now completely freshly groomed from Smoky Lake/Waskatenau, St. Paul/Elk Point/Heinsburg, Bonnyville/Cold Lake.
The communities of Alberta's Lakeland warmly welcome sledders while the big snow-season lasts.

And the sun is out!:cool:

Ride Safe!

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they groomed it this week, lots of snow and probably next weekand also

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out on Thursday evening, put 120kms on and snow conditions were great!
Freshly groomed IHTrail, and 3 to 4 feet of powder in treed areas. Open hilltops are blown firm, but lots of coverage.
Good for a couple of weeks yet, due to tonnes of snow.

Top Bottom