St. Paul & the Iron Horse Trail

smiley1

Reaction score
We just got a couple of inches of snow this weekend so now the IHT has snow on it; some sleds have been on there. Hopefully with more snow this month we can hopefully be grooming later this month. I will keep everyone posted; Smiley :)

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the lattest conditions ,have you started grooming yet?

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind running that old iron horse trail, just cause its there ya know :d

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was planning on doing it on Jan 2 or 3 weather permitting but it is looking like is is going to be dam cold

smiley1

Reaction score
Hi there all; the IHT from St. Paul to Ashmont, to Mallaig, to Glendon, to Bonnyville and on to Cold Lake was just groomed by 'Jerry' last Friday and is good to go; pretty good snow conditions up here in the NE; lot's of sledding going on now that we got a good dump last weekend and it's snowing again tonight :p
Cold Lake snowmobile club is just grooming thier trails this week; than Bonnyville will have thier's done by next week and St.Paul & Elk Point will be done by the end of Jan.....
So were good to go :)

I will keep you posted; Smiley :)

Hitchguy

Reaction score
do you need a trail pass to ride on this ?? If so where do we buy them thanks

benamen

Reaction score
The trail is open to a wide variety of users. In the winter months, snowmobile enthusiasts will find the trail groomed and there are many local snowmobile-only trails that are accessible from Alberta's Iron Horse Trail (AIHT). While there is no trail pass required for AIHT, we recommend checking with the local snowmobile clubs and/or Alberta Snowmobile Association to purchase passes for other trails.

CPolariski

Reaction score
Any new information regarding the section starting at Heinsburg, being groomed? We're planning to take a group from Lloydminster, with kids in tow, on Saturday, and was wondering what the trail was like.

smiley1

Reaction score
The IHT was groomed from Heinsburg to Elk Point to St.Paul on Sat/Sun; January 24 & 25. The IHT section from St.Paul to Abiliene to Mallaig, Glendon, Bonnyville was done last Thursday/Friday and is in great shape.
Hopefully; this weekend we will get Abiliene to Vilna, Smoky Lake done; but that all depends on the groomer operators; but will keep everyone posted.
Have fun and ride safe.

Smiley :)

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The IHT was groomed from Heinsburg to Elk Point to St.Paul on Sat/Sun; January 24 & 25. The IHT section from St.Paul to Abiliene to Mallaig, Glendon, Bonnyville was done last Thursday/Friday and is in great shape.
Hopefully; this weekend we will get Abiliene to Vilna, Smoky Lake done; but that all depends on the groomer operators; but will keep everyone posted.
Have fun and ride safe.

Smiley :)

How's the snow holding up with the warm weather? Did you get lots of rain yesterday?

smiley1

Reaction score
Latest report on the Iron Horse Trail; groomed Thursday from St.Paul to Spedden; than groomed Vilna; with a little set back because groomer was running a little warm; but hopefully the boys will groom to Smoky Lake/Wasketneau this weekend. No; we did not get rain in the NE; snow is holding up really good and now we have an excellent base; but the overall trails are 'great' to ride. Conditions and trails in the NE are considerable good overall; come on down for a ride......:cool:
Smiley:)

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
Four of us rode the IHT today. We staged in Wasketneau and rode to Cold Lake and back. Trail was in good shape. Passed the groomer going out and coming back. Trail is a bit hard in places and will be a good base for the next dump of snow. Long day,240 miles round trip.

CPolariski

Reaction score
We rode from Heinsburg to Elk Point and the trail was in great shape. We tried going north to Garnier lake, but the hills were a little to much for a couple sleds in the group(kids), so we just stayed on the trail. Could cool off the long track in the odd spot, but we sure need some more snow. All in all a good ride. We were thinking of going to St. Paul, but I heard that the cop there hates sledders, so we decided to keep it local.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode from are lake this weekend, 'laurie lake ' i know a back way into garnier lake. so we punched the trail thru there the snow was very good back there 2-3 feet in most spots. untouched cut lines everywhere.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Four of us rode the IHT today. We staged in Wasketneau and rode to Cold Lake and back. Trail was in good shape. Passed the groomer going out and coming back. Trail is a bit hard in places and will be a good base for the next dump of snow. Long day,240 miles round trip.

Here's some pics of the trip....

Shaw Photo Share

smiley1

Reaction score
Hi there; quick question; what have you heard of our 'cop' here in St.Paul; what's the story about this....I need to know as being Trail Steward coordinator for the IHT it would be good to know the negative stuff; as all of us here in St.Paul promote recreational riding in Town and thru the Town of St.Paul...need to know; greatly appreciated..... Smiley :)

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks Smiley for all the work you and your people do out there on the Ironhorse trail.....It was one of the best rides I have done in years. Each and every little town you pass through was unique with the signage and the trail system was great. I did not know this system existed and it will be more of a regular trip now since I live in Morinville and access is easily within reach.....I'm looking forward to another trip to Cold Lake except next time an overnight stay might be in order instead of the marathon 240 mile hike there and back all in one day......:)

Keep up the great work!

:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Great Pics,

More snow than we have out west of edmonton anyway...

I've got a lakelot on Upper Mann lake just 300m from the ironhorse and I've yet to get up there with the sleds...looks like I better start making some plans...Thanks for the update.

Where can I buy a ASA trail pass? are the passes good for all the diferent local trail systems? how does it work, is it a pass for each machine?

Thanks,

Bogger

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get your asa membership from the trailseekers out here and pass is good for all of alta.

Top Bottom