Spring Season

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey this is our first year were going to have a real attempt at a garden. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are for when a garden should go in. Ive been told May long or the weekend after. Our garden will be at our bare acreage near pine lake. Im planning on getting some deer fence put up this weekend.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X2.

The biggest reason for that date is frost in early June. Check with some locals and ask the question. Sometimes with the way May long changes on the calendar it can be touchy. However, that late frost in early June can be hard on the new plants just poking through the soil. Good luck and happy gardening.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually try and get things planted as soon as possible so it's ready earlier in the summer. Frost is a concern for certain plants for sure, such as cucumbers for example. Potatoes, carrots, onions, beets, peas, corn, etc are pretty hardy. I've never had much trouble just north of Edmonton planting these by the first or second weekend in May even. I usually watch for the poplar trees to get buds starting - good indication the soil is up to 3-5C. That's when I start planting the more hearty stuff at least.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually may long or following weekend due to out playing. Due to this being my last weekend free for the next while we are planning on planting most of it this sunday. Already have beets carrots, beans and corn started inside. Going to be some nights that we will be putting some winter clothes on the plants most likely.

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may long here. we make sure it is staked so as tarps or blankets can cover for the evening if there is a frost warning out. the wife also starts most of the stuff in an indoor green house a month or so earlier to get a head start.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya this week off work we will hopefully get the fence up and will be waiting till around may long to plant.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good tiller and a strong back. Do the tiller couple days in advance because if it's of any size and breaking new ground it will be the last garden you ever do.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its 60x65. but last set of days off i scraped all the topsoil and grass off and brought fresh black dirt in with the tractor. i also have a 3pt hitch rototiller.

Top Bottom