Spot Trace

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post a heads up for anyone who is using a spot trace GPS tracker. I have had one for a couple years now and have been getting a low battery alert for the past couple days so tonight I went and changed the batteries and like previous times I just opened up the unit and put in four fresh AAA lithium batteries then tried to power on the spot trace and it would not turn on, no lights, nothing. I brought it to my computer and tried to plug it in with the USB cable and still nothing. I tried another four fresh batteries and nothing. I then called Spot tech support and they walked me through some basic troubleshooting and asked me to squeeze the face and back of the spot trace after putting in the batteries to reset the device. He said I should see an amber light and I told him I still have nothing. I let him know that I did have that amber light come on as I was removing the four screws that hold the Spot together so I could change the batteries and he immediately said well then you fried the device. I said what? He said that is a known issue with the spot trackers is that if you squeeze the front and back of the device with a little pressure it resets the device and because I removed the batteries before the reset was done it fried it. He said they try to keep the reset (squeezing the device) a secret because it can mess up the spot trace. I told him this is a ridiculous design flaw and he just let me know that my unit is no longer under warranty and I would have to buy a new one. So if you are going to change your batteries do not hold the Spot Trace by the front/back face and instead hold it on the side otherwise you may fry it the tech said it is a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds crazy. I have several of these and haven't had an issue yet thankfully. By front are you talking about where the lights and buttons are?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not where the lights are at the top but the face so where it says spot trace and the back. The pictures below is how I held it, which to me is the most natural way for me to hold it when removing the four screws but by doing so you put a little squeeze/pressure and the spot will reset. Even if you don’t remove the batteries during the reset, the reset alone can mess up the Spot Trace by scrambling it which is why they keep the squeeze reset a secret and don’t tell customers about it. I think it’s most likely a secret because they know customers wouldn’t buy their product if they know about that design flaw and they don’t want to spend the money to fix it or recall the units. I will not be buying another Spot Trace I will say that much. It would be interesting to see if you squeeze yours to see if it resets but then again I don’t want you to brick it.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just changed batteries on the 3 i have no issues. Thanks for the heads up.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Spot customer service and explained the issue to the representative who was baffled that this could actually be a thing but said there is nothing Spot can do about it so I escalated it to a manager and I explained the situation and let them know that their product has a design flaw that can make their device ineffective to thieves by squeezing it (assuming it gets found) and asked why they are keeping the squeeze reset/design flaw a secret to customers and he had no answers. I asked him how does it make sense for me as the customer to have to buy another Spot Trace from my own pocket when they are not disclosing the reset method to their customers, a method that can fry the device and the only response was that he can enter me into the replacement program and I could get a new Spot Trace for 49.99. I let him know that I was disappointed in the product design/functionality and would not buy another one.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I will be cautious when changing batteries for sure. Let's hope they do something about it because if they don't it could be the beginning of their demise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom