Spot GPS Messenger/Tracker or GPS

ddshapka

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of getting the Spot and was wondering if any of you guys have one and what you think of it. It says it will lay a track every 10 minutes I'm wondering how well this works on google earth. Does one have to wait till you get home and download the track or does it do it automatically. I'm undecided if to get a GPS or the SPOT?

Thanks Doug

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one and would recommend one to a friend. Comparing a spot to a GPS is comparing apples to oranges. The Spot lays a track every 20 mins and displays it for your family/friends to check out on google earth. (i discontinued this service in my subscrption because it didn't work well) If you get into trouble it has a help function which notifies several of your contacts of you location and that you need help. If you get into serious trouble it has a 911 function that will send emergency/rescue people to you for free (if you get the $8 a year insurance) The GPS will show you how to get back to the truck if you get lost.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of getting the Spot and was wondering if any of you guys have one and what you think of it. It says it will lay a track every 10 minutes I'm wondering how well this works on google earth. Does one have to wait till you get home and download the track or does it do it automatically. I'm undecided if to get a GPS or the SPOT?

Thanks Doug

:rant:Delorme has a new combo comming, a GPS and, got into bed with Spot, that you can send messages from your unit in the field ,not preprogrammed at home like the Spot.:cool:
And yes I have Both, GPS and Spot. I don't leave home with out them.

Bruce.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Gpses will not only tell you where you have gone, but if you get a decent gps, it will give you an idea of where to go as well, depending on the gps and maps you can download on it,,, the spot is good for very inexceable areas, my buddie has one and we send messages (pre loaded) while sledding/quadding, where you have no cell serv. I myself dont have alot of use for a spot as most of my areas are in cell serv. But the gps sure has made things easy for me in mapping and finding my way in unknown areas.

Dadbro

Reaction score
We use the SPOT system at work. I am in bad cell reception areas most of the day and use it to check in at work which notifies my boss where I am (not always a good thing) I have had the chance to use a Garmin GPS 60CSx this past week. I am seriously looking at getting one for myself. Maybe not the same model but a Garmin non the less.

Top Bottom