sportsman 500's

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am looking at some 05 and newer sportsmans and was just wondering what the differance in efi and non efi's are?
they are cheaper and thats what i like but are they as reliable?
any input

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are just as reliable. the only difference is the efi are easier to start cold and there is no need for jetting for different altitudes. but they are both bulletproof bikes.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any power differances? is the non efi more likly to blow up or anything?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The EFI starts better and you get better gas milage!
Go EFI if you have the choice!
catmando!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true efi does get better gas milage. when my dad had his 500 carb the only real difference i noticed was the efi had more snap in the throttle.

Reaction score
I bought my Polaris 500 EFI brand new and it's great. I pop a lot of wheelies with it for fun and I am not a small fellow by any means.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80 miles on 14L of fuel this past weekend on our 2007 Sportsman 500's they are EFI. Wish sleds were that good on fuel with the high price of gas now.

rtw

Reaction score
i got a question, im thinking about getting a 500 efi polaris , im pretty well mind set on polaris , i like the way they look and ride , just something about them,
but any ways what im wondering is how much of a tire can i get away with without putting a lift under it , the tires i want for it , are out laws and if i have to go with a lift i would only want to put 1" under it , im new at this ( can i get out laws that fit stock rims )

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can go 28" outlaws or any tire without a lift. i have no rubbing problem with my bugs. the laws will fit on stock rims fine. you will need wheel spacers though so that the tires don't rub the strut and the sway bar in the rear. 1" will be fine.

rtw

Reaction score
so your saying i can go with 28 inch outlaws with no lift at all ? all i need is wheel spacer , maybe 1.5 inches front and back?

rtw

Reaction score
you can go 28" outlaws or any tire without a lift. i have no rubbing problem with my bugs. the laws will fit on stock rims fine. you will need wheel spacers though so that the tires don't rub the strut and the sway bar in the rear. 1" will be fine.

how does the 28 inch tires do wiyh your power ? do they drag your power down to much ? and does the k&n airfilter
help any?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya you can go 28" tire with no lift. you would only need 1" spacers but i would go with 1.5". my bike handles the tires fine. you can deffinetely notice a power loss but it still has good power. i think the combination of my exhaust and filter helps a little plus the clutch kit makes a big difference. not sure what the difference would be with autlaws because they are alot heavier then mudbugs. but i know quite a few people running outlaws and they have no problems.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your saying i can go with 28 inch outlaws with no lift at all ? all i need is wheel spacer , maybe 1.5 inches front and back?

Yes, they will fit with no problems if you have wheel spacers. I have 28" Outlaws on my 800 with 1.5" spacers all around and no lift. Just remember that the outlaws are great for traction however, they are a heavy tire and will rob tons of power from your 500 even if you clutch it.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just purchased a carbed 500cc sportsman, really nice quad, but my question is, is what type of clutching would one recommend for mud bogging/hill climbing for this unit?....i'm a 240lb guy..any thoughts would be appreciated....thanks MADPOW :beer:

....and I'm not shy about riding hard as well!

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it on a budget, try a gold spring in your primary first... this simply increases your engagment rpm and will give you a little more bottom end grunt.. If you find you still want more I suggest changing weights. I have personally found running a gold spring and 69gram weights a better setup and better performance than the over priced clutch kits on the market. I returned my clutch kit after this recommendation from my Popo dealer.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it on a budget, try a gold spring in your primary first... this simply increases your engagment rpm and will give you a little more bottom end grunt.. If you find you still want more I suggest changing weights. I have personally found running a gold spring and 69gram weights a better setup and better performance than the over priced clutch kits on the market. I returned my clutch kit after this recommendation from my Popo dealer.

Awesome, I'm headin to get the gear first thing....thanks,

........it does seem slugish for sure! would deff like more jam thats a fact, maybe I shoulda went with the 800....hmmm

Top Bottom