Sportsman 450 Hesitation Issues

PG2676

Reaction score
My Sportsman 450 starts to hesitate and choke when I either get in the water (not deep either) or climb a steep hill at high or full throttle. After I crest the hill or a few seconds out of the water it goes away. I have had some suggest that somehow steam is getting into the intake when I cross water, but it wouldn't explain the hill issue. I have replaced the plug, fuel filter, air box breather filter, and cleaned the air filter just recently. I also had the carb apart last year and cleaned the jets.

Any suggestions?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my 800 it would miss and hesitate in only a little water. Turns out the brain trust at Polaris decided to put the coil in the left front wheel well. Put dielectric grease in all the connections I could find and it has been fine ever since. Is your coil in the same genius location?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, can't help but to think it's electrical. Try jiggling all the cables and connectors with the bike running to see if you can replicate the issue.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year is it?

Is your plug boot seated?
How deep of water really?
Have you done a WOT run about 100ft then pull your plug,.. is so what color is it?
Right plug?
Does it smell like fuel when this happens?
Does it do it without the air filter,.. aftermarket air filter?
Does it backfire deceling down a hill?
Rev limiter issue?

PG2676

Reaction score
What year is it?

Is your plug boot seated? Yes
How deep of water really? No Higher than the height of the tires (25"), but it'll do it in half that depth.
Have you done a WOT run about 100ft then pull your plug,.. is so what color is it? Haven't, but it does it with a new plug as well.
Right plug? Yes.
Does it smell like fuel when this happens? No.
Does it do it without the air filter,.. aftermarket air filter? Never tried and K&N. But it's had a K&N since almost new and only started doing this in the last couple seasons.
Does it backfire deceling down a hill? No.
Rev limiter issue? It will run freely up to 6000+ RPM on flat level ground, so no.

Could it be a float issue?

Top Bottom