Sportmans 500

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
All right to any of my Polaris people. I have a Polaris Sportmans 500. I took to a riding park for a weekend. It has been giving some trouble going into gear. Well, I rode it and then I got on a muddy trail and had to use reverse. Well it would not come out of high gear. I have not taken it apart I am hope I can start this next week. No matter what I do it is stuck in high. Don't matter how hard you pull to take it out of high does not move. So any tips or advice would be nice. I am going to be doing the work myself. Thanks Nicole

dirtygirll

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do u live Nicole? Maybe I can come work on it with u?
Despite what my handle says I am a girl and I also do my own work on mine (sportsman 400) although I never really know what I'm doing! Lol! I just go with it and start taking chit apart and drink lots of beer!

Haha let me know, I'm thinking gear case but I'll let the real pros answer that. Were fixing a gear case on a scrambler 500 right now, won't go into reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause my phone is glued to my hand

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
dalton05,
I am hour south of Pittsburgh, Pa. If you want to come to the states your more then welcome. I love to drink beer. If I am not working then I am drinking some beers. So I know what your saying. I will look at that.

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
I am going to look there. I have heard from a few people that do some work on quads said it is the linkage. Now is the linkage the same as that?

blar

Reaction score
I had that happen on my 800. The engine twisted on the mounts and the clutch alignment between the tranny and engine was out. Also makes shifting gears hard. Try loosening the motor mounts and see if it free's up.

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
Been working to much lately.:oops: I am hoping to get time real soon to start this project. Maybe if I don't get to see my guy, I will have a wench day in the garage on it.:yahoo: See how bad this is going to be. Better pick up some :drink4:. Cause I am going to need them.

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
Well I finally got to tear apart my quad.:yahoo: Took the pain in the arse plastic off.:frusty: SO then I took the gear shift off. It would not move so I took it apart farther. Did not see really anything wrong with it but I am going to take it to a dealer. If they say there is not thing wrong then I am going to have to start taking apart the rearend. :yeahthat: But that is how far I have gotten for now. Think I am going to need :beer::beer::beer: and lots of them.

dirtygirll

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got to tear apart my quad.:yahoo: Took the pain in the arse plastic off.:frusty: SO then I took the gear shift off. It would not move so I took it apart farther. Did not see really anything wrong with it but I am going to take it to a dealer. If they say there is not thing wrong then I am going to have to start taking apart the rearend. :yeahthat: But that is how far I have gotten for now. Think I am going to need :beer::beer::beer: and lots of them.

Nice. Well done

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
My question is how much fluid should be in the gear box??? I took the gear box off and it seems to be fine. Opened it up and there was not much in there. So how much should be in there??? I believe I am going to have to tear into the rearend. I really didn't want to be I guess I am going to have too.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure why you need to look at the rear end, i'd start at the transmission. as the rear end should be drive shaft.

Last edited:

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
Rear end to me is everything in the back. I don't work on quads much. Now I have worked more on my truck or tractors. Now how hard is it to tear into the transmission?

Top Bottom