split second pipes

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just quick question. have a guy willing to trade his split second pipes for my stocker and can. Is this a good deal? what kinda gains might i get if any? i have no other mods to the engine yet totally stock 670x. will i need more to get any gains or proper running with these pipes? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralph makes good pipes, so If that is what you want it is a good deal.
You will gain a little noise and horsepower as well as lose weight.
Make sure the pipes are for a 670 and nothing else.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have to up in your jetting size, and make you they are for the 670X(HO)

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not a tuner,don't doo it.Why doo you think he want's to trade piston's are approx $200.00 each from doo.Ralph's pipes make good power and fit awsome but your reliable sled will get alot more finickey.Just my:twocents:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got split second pipes on my 740 they work good lots of power but man are they LOUD.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As people have said above there are some trade offs to running twin pipes. The most noticeable being the noise they make, it'll make you want to wear a helmet every time you start the thing.
There is power gains to be realized as well but bear in mind that the gained power is in the 8200- 8400 rpm range. Where your stock 670x makes its peak power in the 8000 neighborhood. This extra RPM puts added stress on an already notoriously weak crankshaft.
Long story short you will gain power, and loose weight but you may be looking for a rebuilt crank in short order as well as BRP has discontinued the 670 cranks, they only sell short blocks.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not a tuner,don't doo it.Why doo you think he want's to trade piston's are approx $200.00 each from doo.Ralph's pipes make good power and fit awsome but your reliable sled will get alot more finickey.Just my:twocents:

I had a set on a 99 670 HO. They work Great. If the jetting is still factory you should be fine because they came stock a little fat. If you want to be safe, jet up one size and the DPM should take care of the rest.
You will want to bring your peak RPM up with the pipes. If I remember right, stock RPM was 7850 and with the pipes you want to spin 8400
Clutching will change a bit. I think I had 16 gram pins on the primary, 50/47 helix, but I am not sure what the secondary spring was on, maybe c-3 but I can not remember for sure. This this setup was for mountain riding
Experiment and have fun :beer::beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a set on a 99 670 HO. They work Great. If the jetting is still factory you should be fine because they came stock a little fat. If you want to be safe, jet up one size and the DPM should take care of the rest.
You will want to bring your peak RPM up with the pipes. If I remember right, stock RPM was 7850 and with the pipes you want to spin 8400
Clutching will change a bit. I think I had 16 gram pins on the primary, 50/47 helix, but I am not sure what the secondary spring was on, maybe c-3 but I can not remember for sure. This this setup was for mountain riding
Experiment and have fun :beer::beer:

thats what i was thinking to was going to see if he wanted to trade primarys as well. would be easiest. Apparently he bought the sled with this setup on it and now wants to get rid of the pipes. I have already gutted my airbox so air in should be no problem. Are they peaky power or do they have a wide powerband? oh and if we trade primarys as well can we change just the outer half or should we trade both?

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah i called him this afternoon. awesome guy helped me out lots. had to jog his memory though. only issue he said i may have is finding clutch weights. He said the factory will work but if i really want it to rip do ....... wrote it all down long list of options. thanks for all the help guys.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its at home but i think it was a 289 ramps and 65 or 66 gram weight with a black/black spring and solid pins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom