Specialty's compression test - suspicious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo, here's the short of it. My gauge was busted and I needed some clutch work done. Go to specialty and while it's in they do a compression test for me. 90/96 psi, so time for a top end. I am too cheap/broke to pay their rate (quote 10 hrs plus parts), so out it comes for me to do it myself.

Prior to ripping in, I get another guy with a nice new snap-on tester, and guess what: 130/138 psi. That is a big difference.

I've seen gauges vary by a few pounds, but come on. Now with under 1900 miles, those readings, and cyclinders looking okay, I am going to run the sled for a while yet.

I don't think I'll be back there anytime soon. Just too fishy. Their labour rates were thick for the other stuff too. I gues it pays to put a new guy on that takes his time and bills the same hourly rate?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo, here's the short of it. My gauge was busted and I needed some clutch work done. Go to specialty and while it's in they do a compression test for me. 90/96 psi, so time for a top end. I am too cheap/broke to pay their rate (quote 10 hrs plus parts), so out it comes for me to do it myself.

Prior to ripping in, I get another guy with a nice new snap-on tester, and guess what: 130/138 psi. That is a big difference.

I've seen gauges vary by a few pounds, but come on. Now with under 1900 miles, those readings, and cyclinders looking okay, I am going to run the sled for a while yet.

I don't think I'll be back there anytime soon. Just too fishy. Their labour rates were thick for the other stuff too. I gues it pays to put a new guy on that takes his time and bills the same hourly rate?

like you said gauges do vary. but that far probably not. if they were at 90/96 or whatever imo who cares they are within 10% of each other and its still rippin hard. letter buck. if they were out by 15-20% on the same gauge then maybe something to look at.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you told them you tried another gauge? Theirs could be out of calibration, and they won't know any different.......:(

I called and discussed it, hoping that they would offer to test again or something. When they first gave me the readings I suggested they check it again. They said they were positive on the numbers and had the head off faster than I could say hello. I don't think they expected me to tell them to put it back together and kick it out the door.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and think it was a bad gauge. When I asked them to test it again, I would have thought that would catch it. They said they would check their gauge, so hopefully that will fix it for the next guy.

That could have been a $2000 touch, prematurely, if I had just said go ahead. (They quoted high)

I heard they really know their stuff and they run a great shop, so I thougt I would try them. Stuff happens I guess.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like you said gauges do vary. but that far probably not. if they were at 90/96 or whatever imo who cares they are within 10% of each other and its still rippin hard. letter buck. if they were out by 15-20% on the same gauge then maybe something to look at.

At 130/138 I sure will let-er buck. I may get a whole season on this top end.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
Some new engines came with that compression. I would tell them incase their gauge is wrong and or nobody else go through it.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those numbers seem consistent with a first pull reading and a five pull reading, respectively, also they gave you a diff of 6lbs and your buddy gave you a diff of 8lbs which in itself is consistent. Im wondering if the test results are from one pull reading at Specialty. Just a thought.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shop ay be a little slow and need a little extra work. specialty has special prices, always way high. aren't you glad you checked around.:confused:

friggin crooks

nielsy

Reaction score
if your sled starts easy and goes into reverse easy rule of thumb your compression is good only my 2cents

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
lol i love posts like this.... throw them under the bus....
lets see the only sled trailer that would offer tools or parts in the parking lot...
KARMA boys karma

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol i love posts like this.... throw them under the bus....
lets see the only sled trailer that would offer tools or parts in the parking lot...
KARMA boys karma
hmm supposed to be the pros, looks like amateurs they seem to just keep falling under the bus some how. every year it seems. seems to be several thousand dollar fawk ups all the time, glad you get a smile with your bill :confused:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like the idea of using reverse to checkcompression...

i have heard kens prices are a bit crazy, but 10 hrs for a topend...

i can do mine in less than 3hrs form start to stop with a few beer breaks, stock pistons are 170 dollars each, bacegasket, 22 dollars, rave cleaning..priceless

total job shoud not be more than8 to 900 bucks max, thats why kenny has the fancy sleds at the snowshows

i charge two cases of beer for doing my buddys;)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with Ken at the shop. He is straight up on what he does and calls them as he sees them. Some people can't take the blunt approach of his experience, if you're aputz you will get treated like one when you blabber about experience you don't have. Once you learn to get past that he is OK to deal with, shop does great work with lots of doo history. If you have an issue with the shop go to Ken not a hired guy in the back to complain, as with any business they will have issues.
As for Ken on the hill....most helpful guy I have ever met and he can't stand littering azhats. Has borrowed us tools, parts and his skidder crazy carpet to go recue dead sleds.
To each his own but that's my take on Specialty and Ken.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Every time there is a thread like this started by a Peep with a legitimate comment the thread becomes a "bashing" run.
Every sled builder has been criticized on the site as has every dealer has been about prices, service, delivery times etc.

There are Fans of and Haters of every builder and dealer.

MrMorgan has had his opportunity to state his opinion and there have been some great reply's and a few bashes.
For this reason I will be closing this thread at the end of the day.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was fun.

10 hours is steep for a top end. maybe there was a misscomunication along the line.

never had a problem with specialty always treated me good.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
there is always a miscommunication. maybe it was going to be ported when it was off then rejetted....lol

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
remember the rules.. there is always three sides to any storey.. both sides and then what really happened

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not bashing, why would a compression test read 96 at one shop and 138 at another, broken gauge= not likely, had pretty much the same thing at a tire shop, got new tires and a work estimate for $6000 worth of new parts that needed to be replaced, WTF. yeah maybe a new mechanic who knows, suggest you always have a second opinion, seems to work better. :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom