sparwood vs elkford

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a job interview with teck coming up and they had mentioned either working in sparwood or elkford.. Can anyone give me any pro's and con's of living in one place over the other?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will depend on which mine you are getting on at. I live in Sparwood and work in Sparwood. Sparwood's taxes are cheap, not sure about elkford's. For shopping lots go to the states or into Alberta.Elkford would take you longer of a drive when you leave town. Do you have a trade? Sledding is great in both places . Fernie is just 20 minutes down the road from Sparwood. Houses in Sparwood run about $260,000.00 for a nice house. Teck fording river is about 25 minutes north of Elkford.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the interview in your sled gear and immediately start asking where to ride LOL chances are someone in the room will be a sledder and they'll know you're there for the long haul haha. Good luck I'd love to live right in the mountains again.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as said depends on the mine both small towns if you get hired and are working fording or green hills then elkford as a bus will take you up from the town if your working elkview or one of the others then probly sparwood

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys.. looks like the next challenge is to find a place to rent that will take me and my 3 year old lab

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys.. looks like the next challenge is to find a place to rent that will take me and my 3 year old lab

Hmmmm. Too bad my son's place is already filled up. Could be good company for his lab. If you're looking for someone to ride with when you get there though let me know. He's in Sparwood. Been there for one winter only and hasn't met many guys to ride with yet.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep I am looking to ride every days off! first trip is in valemount at the end of this month, if i get the job i will then head south and get settled in after the vale trip!

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been in the Elk Valley for 40 yrs!!! Both Sparwood and Elkford are comparable in taxes and housing cost. Both have small grocery stores. Elkford is only 20min north of Sparwood. Both have gas stations bars liquor stores hair salons restaurants etc... Elkford has a ski hill. Both have a leisure centre. Both have fitnrss centres. Elkford you park your sled in your front yard and ride from town. Quading sledding camping etc... 100's of miles of trail. Dozens of areas to ride. Sparwood is a mear 20min closer to anything but its only 20min. The coal mines have buses to all from all or always guys on your shift to carpool with. Also lots of guys in both areas looking for roommates. Shouldn't be hard to find something. Ask anything about Elkford in specifics you will get answers. I was bor and raised there. ...just saying.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been in the Elk Valley for 40 yrs!!! Both Sparwood and Elkford are comparable in taxes and housing cost. Both have small grocery stores. Elkford is only 20min north of Sparwood. Both have gas stations bars liquor stores hair salons restaurants etc... Elkford has a ski hill. Both have a leisure centre. Both have fitnrss centres. Elkford you park your sled in your front yard and ride from town. Quading sledding camping etc... 100's of miles of trail. Dozens of areas to ride. Sparwood is a mear 20min closer to anything but its only 20min. The coal mines have buses to all from all or always guys on your shift to carpool with. Also lots of guys in both areas looking for roommates. Shouldn't be hard to find something. Ask anything about Elkford in specifics you will get answers. I was bor and raised there. ...just saying.

pm sent

Top Bottom