Spark Plugs turned Green??

RMKassault

Reaction score
Was out riding the other day and both plugs went. Couldnt get any spark and when I took them out they were both very green? Anybody know what would cause this or if its normal?

I am running a 14 rmk assault with a boondocker turbo and 100ll fuel.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only time I saw that was when a guy was running ethanol based gas.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out riding the other day and both plugs went. Couldnt get any spark and when I took them out they were both very green? Anybody know what would cause this or if its normal?

I am running a 14 rmk assault with a boondocker turbo and 100ll fuel.

I believe its the die in the fuel, 100ll fuel is blueish green.
Sound's like it shorted out the plug's, it also has a significant amount of lead in it.
I personally avoid AV fuels and prefer race fuel's as they are specifically blended for our application's. There is alot more to fuel's then just octane rating's.

Alot of guy's buy AVgas cause it's alot cheaper then race gas, unfortunately this can be the results.

Last edited:

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What were you running your plug gap at ? Turbos need a lot less gap to prevent flame out. Av gas and a wide gap will be hard on plugs. I run av in my M8 turbo and a narrower gap and have no issues.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of guy's run av fuel in their motor's but it doesn't mean they are doing the right thing.
Aviation fuel such as 100ll is design to run a low speed aircraft engine at elevation of 10,000++ft at engine speed's of 2700-2800rpm's and not a pumped up high hp engine running 8,000rpm at 6-8,000ft MAX.
The fuel is design to burn in a low oxygen atmosphere, riding sled's at 6-8,000ft is not considered low oxygen atmosphere for aviation fuel. The other consideration is aviation fuel's R+M/2 rating is very different then auto race fuel's or pump fuel in general.
But heck what do i know, i'm not the one with green non working sparkplug's.

RMKassault

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What race fuel are you running Lund? What sort of PSI can you get using that fuel?

RMKassault

Reaction score
What were you running your plug gap at ? Turbos need a lot less gap to prevent flame out. Av gas and a wide gap will be hard on plugs. I run av in my M8 turbo and a narrower gap and have no issues.

I was still running the stock gap

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What race fuel are you running Lund? What sort of PSI can you get using that fuel?

I buy VP usually because it is easily available, i have used Renegade fuel but it's seem's harder to come by.
c12, c110 or c111 are all excellent choices with motor octane rating's raging from 107-110. I mix my fuel and depending on what boost i run will determine my mix, generally 25% race to a fill of 91oct. 14-16lb of boost or 50/50 with 18-20lbs of boost.

Another consideration is with aviation fuel your engine will not perform as well with overall HP lowered and throttle response lessened. Lot's will dispute this but if you were to do a side by side comparison by fuel switching, you would notice a significant difference between av and race fuel's in performance.

RMKassault

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info Lund, I will try out mixing some VP fuel with 91, run some new plugs and see if they still become green.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy VP usually because it is easily available, i have used Renegade fuel but it's seem's harder to come by.
c12, c110 or c111 are all excellent choices with motor octane rating's raging from 107-110. I mix my fuel and depending on what boost i run will determine my mix, generally 25% race to a fill of 91oct. 14-16lb of boost or 50/50 with 18-20lbs of boost.

Another consideration is with aviation fuel your engine will not perform as well with overall HP lowered and throttle response lessened. Lot's will dispute this but if you were to do a side by side comparison by fuel switching, you would notice a significant difference between av and race fuel's in performance.

I've ran 100ll back to back with VP111 and didn't notice any difference besides cost, this was NA but 2S and 14.5 compression ratio with a tight squish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledrs

Reaction score
AV gas = slow burn
race gas = fast burn
Lund is right
I use to have green plugs all the time in my stock car when I ran Sunoco race fuel

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slow burn what is that? Explain how many ms slower it takes for AV flame front to propagate across a tiny bore like a sled. 9300 rpm on my triple motor with no problems.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slow burn what is that? Explain how many ms slower it takes for AV flame front to propagate across a tiny bore like a sled. 9300 rpm on my triple motor with no problems.

For the amount of times burn rate has been explained on here, I should just post this in my signature....

http://performancetrends.com/Definitions/Burn-Rate.htm

Sent from my iPhone

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put about 4000 miles on my turbo running AV gas. it works fine....switched from race and never skipped a beat

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sarcasm button wasn't on, your azz isn't going to tell the difference in burn rates of fuel on a sled,

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience with these fuels be it AV OR VP was no different Time slips to verified that ,but green is lean and light yellow was way to lean. Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom