Spare Key D.E.S.S.

2skis

Reaction score
DO I have to take my key in or whole machine to the dealer to get a spare key programed? I have heard both answers so I know this is the place to get the RIGHT answer. Thanks for your help everyone.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to buy a spare key and then have the sled programmed to accept it so the whole machine has to go in.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The DESS keys are programmed to the sled and quads for BRP products and you will also need proof of ownership. I had an extra key made while I was at it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I didn't read that it was in the XP forum, just in latest posts... Either way, my buddy has a 98 Skummit and the key sometimes acts up and it only runs on one jug... Would he have to take the whole sled in to get a new tether? Or just the serial number? Thanks.

fox68sd

Reaction score
when I went to the dealer they told me the sled has to come in and its minimum 1 hour shop rate charge in Calgary ,I hav 2 extra keys job takes 5 mins would pay half an hour so I guess i'm 2 cheap lol

2skis

Reaction score
when I went to the dealer they told me the sled has to come in and its minimum 1 hour shop rate charge in Calgary ,I hav 2 extra keys job takes 5 mins would pay half an hour so I guess i'm 2 cheap lol

sounds kinda stupid to me. Should be a base charge for a key and done. Thanks for the info!!

snowhound63

Reaction score
My 1998 summit 583 didn't have the fancy DESS it just had the simple old tether just the pop up kill switch when you pulled it. Maybe check out the Ski-Doo online parts list for your year and model to make sure what you need.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's the other way around.
The keys stay the same and the sled learns the key code. I believe it's up to 4 codes.
You can bring in all your friend's sleds in and have the same key work on them.. It helps if someone loses their tether.

The DESS keys are programmed to the sled and quads for BRP products and you will also need proof of ownership. I had an extra key made while I was at it.

Top Bottom