sounds funny, no power.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. Have a 12 pro rmk turbo, has 1000 miles on it.
Rode two days last week, and the sled ran great, didnt miss a beat. Sled quit while loading it up on my deck. Thought it was low on fuel. Next weekend, it would barely stay running. Sounds funny, almost like its running on one cylinder. Changed plugs, checked spark. Good on both cylinders. I brought it into the dealer, cause it threw a code finally. Ended up being a tps fault. Replaced.it, had them set it. Still sounded funny though. The mech said I prob had a cracked reed. So I took it all apart and found some bad stuff inside. Bent turbo fins, cracked reed, and scuffed piston. Sooooo, I installed the mtn tek fix kit, new turbo reeds, and a new center section fory turbo. Got.it all together today, and my original problem is still there. Sounds funny, runs like crap off the bottom end. But as soon as I start building boost, it screams. Runs great on the top end. A/f is 12.5 wot. Idle its 14.9-15.1, but if I'm putting around its 17.0. Way too lean. It did this before I did all the.repairs. not sure where to look next. A/f used to be dead on at 12.5-13 all the time. I did 700 miles this year without missing a beat. Tps issue still? No eng light on now.
Running 7psi, straight av gas.
Should say, that its not a bog I'm worried about, it's so bad that it barley pulls itself to get going.
I had a similar sound once when my throttle body slipped out of the air box. But when I assembled it today, I inspected every part and took my time assembling it. No broken or loose clamps, cracked rubbers, nothing.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Attitude industries turbo and fuel controller. But it's not the turbo side of things that are causing me grief. I've went through it, front to back and over again. I've got 700 miles easy without missing a beat. Ever since it stalled last weekend it's never been the same. The turbo works awesome as soon as its building boost, and the injectors have kicked in. A/f is perfect. I also cleaned the power valves when I put the new top end in.

tyman212

Reaction score
Could it be a dirty fuel filter? Would think that it would show up at high rpm instead of low tho., or possibly a fuel pump issue? Loose connection? Was the fuel pressure regulator modified with the turbo? Maybe it's not holding correct pressure until its on boost.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator has been slightly modified. But I'm running a fuel pressure gauge, and it reads 40 psi as soon as I fire it up. Doesnt sound like a fuel problem, as it still starts and idles fine. I unplugged the sensor that goes in the air box, and it seemed to sound a little better, but no where near normal. It threw an eng code right away as well. I had a similar sound in the past when my throttle body popped out of the boots. But when that happened I could not build boost. I have no issues building a full 10 lbs if needed.

WesG

Reaction score
I would suggest pressure tesing your system. Tie into the compressor inlet and plug the turbo downpipe. Take it to a few pounds over what you plan on running and spray it down with soapy water to check for a leak. Another thing to check is the powervalve bellows and hoses as well as the rubber throttle body boots. If the hose comes off or a bellows is torn they run crappy before boost and dont make the power they should on boost. Also the fix kit may require different fuelling in the bottom end then before... Just food for thought.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've installed a brand new center section of my turbo. So all the seals are new. I've inspected turbo housing and exhaust for cracks.
When I installed the fix it kit, I took apart and inspected both power valves and tubes. I realize the fix kit will require a different fuel setting. The issue I'm dealing with is the same now as it was when I was running the stock pistons. I installed the fix kit strictly for maintenance purposes. I no longer use rubber boots. I have a billet alum one made up so that it can't collapse under boost. If I had a leak on the pressure side of the turbo I wouldn't build full boost, even if it was a hairline crack or pin hole. It's building full boost, just as it did prior to my issues. The sound even changes when it's on boost. It clears up, and screams as if it never had am issue. I truely believ it's not a turbo related issue.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a '13 Assault and had sled problems last weekend. He thought it was out of fuel and it wasn't running right. Turned out to be a screen on the fuel intake came off and screwed up the fuel pump. Not sure if this is the issue but maybe it will help

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll check the fuel supply tomorrow. Also will check the fuel regulator/pump assembly in the tank.
I've read in a few places that people have had similar issues when they had a faulty injector harness and plug. It's hard to get at, but I'll take a look when I can. I have to go to work for 3 weeks, but I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it runs like sh!t on the bottom and good on the top...I would first suspect gummed up power valves. At 1000 miles...changing your fuel filter would also be a good idea. If it is a fuel pump/supply issue; most likely it wouldn't run well period. does your fuel pump whine? If so...could have something to do with the smart valve pick-ups in the tank.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I inspected the fuel tank pick ups and hoses. Everything looks fine. I inspected the fuel pump as well. Seems fine, the plug that I installed where fuel reg used to be looks tight and not leaking. I took apart my powervalves again. Both move freely and have minimum carbon on them. I re cleaned them again anyways. Ran out if time, couldn't start it yet.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What makes you think voltage regulator?
While I had it running, I was playing with the throttle and safety switch. By pressing on the linkage, I managed to make an eng light come on, as long as I had pressure on it.
I was trying to remember if anything else was funny with the sled the first day it stalled. And I do remember the idle suddenly got lower at idle, and throughout the day, I had blip the throttle when it first started, to bring up the idle, enough to make the dash lights come on. Once it was running and idling high enough I no longer needed to touch yhe throttle while it ran.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it runs like sh!t on the bottom and good on the top...I would first suspect gummed up power valves. At 1000 miles...changing your fuel filter would also be a good idea. If it is a fuel pump/supply issue; most likely it wouldn't run well period. does your fuel pump whine? If so...could have something to do with the smart valve pick-ups in the tank.

Sorry Dude...don't know where my head was at....shouldn't reply to sh!t when I'm tired:) Sticking power valves would show poor performance on the top end...not the bottom end!! Fuel filter would be the next thing I checked into. I made my own serviceable filter set up with a 10 micron cleanable stainless basket filter and some AN hose and fittings for 1/2 the cost of a Poo assembly. Smartened my sled right up on the top!!

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well I'm going to change the filter. Care to share a little more about your filter?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well I'm going to change the filter. Care to share a little more about your filter?

I got the Filter @ JB's Power Center in Calgary. It's made by RedHead Performance and has -6AN male inlet and outlet. You need about 16" of -6 synthetic braided hose and a 5/16" and 1/4" fuel injection clamp. I cut the crimp connections off the stock fuel rail fitting and tank pressure fitting and reused them by attaching them to the new hose with the fuel injection clamps.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a funny one. Do you have a tether on it? I had problems with my pro on the hill one day acting up on the trail up and at the cabin. It would idle fine, wot ok. Anything in between was crap. Discovered it was the tether, not making good contact. Tore off a edge from the trail pass, and off to riding no problems. Just a thought. There is a quick fix for the polaris type of tether you can do yourself for 0$.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No tether. But I'm leaning more to the throttle safety switch. Kinda related, would make sense.

Top Bottom