sorry for the newb question

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i just bought my first turbo sled. 2012 pro with boondocker turbo, non-intercooler. now my question is why are they not using a blow off valve? i have tried to find it online where it might say why they did not use one, but im having no luck. i have read a few pages saying its not a bad idea to have one? and some people say only on high boost ect. i know my brother has always had one on his cars, and you see alot of the cats have them. twisted turbo ect have them but why not boondocker? other then the sound, i did rear some one saying flipping the throttle closed while on full boost could cause damage? i will try to keep the throttle lever smoother then so on and off like i normally do, but if its a good idea or would not hurt anything i think ill throw one in.

also, i like to do multiple circles while on its side at a time. is there a chance the oil pump will starve for oil?

thanks for the help and peace of mind guys

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be ok with low boost,, but you want a blow off valve on turbo charged sled forsure

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think their idea behind it is so that their turbo spools faster it's "supposed" to minimize lag lol

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay, i was thinking there should be one... ill do a little more checking around and try to figure out which one would be best. my brother might even have one laying around.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks i was just on there website since i looked ad the boost-it website and thats the brand they use. one of those little compact ones.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
It is probably the extra cost and more importantly the extra work to install one. You need a vacuum signal and the only way to get one on a pro is to drill and tap the throttle bodies. That is unless you have a kit with an aluminum throttle body boot.
It is very important to have one IMO.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after talking with my brother, who builds custom turbo import cars, he said its not going to hurt anything. he ran the exact gt2860 on one of his cars with out a bov.

NM

Reaction score
after talking with my brother, who builds custom turbo import cars, he said its not going to hurt anything. he ran the exact gt2860 on one of his cars with out a bov.
It is harder on the turbo bearings to run without a BOV and there is definitely compressor surge. Cars are not driven like sleds where you dump from full throttle and Wack it again over and over.
Cars make more power but due to RPM of a sled they spin the turbo faster than a car.
I have seen it both ways and wouldn't run without one. Not when the boost back pressure is trying to stop the compressor wheel every time you dump the throttle.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Thanks for the info Neil. I have also wondered why Boondocker does not put one on pump gas kits.

Here is a question for you, by having a blow off valve will that increase throttle response and cut down on some lag? My thoughts are that if the turbo does not surge it will keep it spinning faster and should spool faster when you get back on the throttle.

NM

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Neil. I have also wondered why Boondocker does not put one on pump gas kits.

Here is a question for you, by having a blow off valve will that increase throttle response and cut down on some lag? My thoughts are that if the turbo does not surge it will keep it spinning faster and should spool faster when you get back on the throttle.
Yes the idea is to keep the turbo spinning as long as possible. When the throttle is dumped without a blow of then the compressed air has no where to go except to try and go back through the turbo. That is what creates turbo stall and is also hard in bearings.

Top Bottom