Son's New Sled

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New to him anyway.

2005 Arctic Cat factory race sled.

Speedwerx 800 factory built. It used to be a 128 but has a 144 x 1.75 now with the tunnel extended. It has an extra tunnel cooler and aux lights. I'm going to order a new set of domes (heads) so I can run pump gas rather than 110 race gas. Twin pipes.

My son is 12 and loves to jump anything. It's already proven it can land pretty soft and stable.

I bought a spare belt and plugs.

I don't know a ton about these but can wrench easily.

This sled has a Boondocker kit but hasn't been hooked up to the bowls yet and hasn't been used.

It has the holeshot button to retard the timing and heat the pipe.

Any expert advice on this sled? It runs pretty decent. Lol. Although today with the warmer weather it was acting a little rich when to the grip. The Variflow didn't seem to help. But I didn't mess with it too much as I wasn't the guy watching the Digitron while riding. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360218197.256420.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360218220.217517.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360218240.867542.jpg

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a 600 in the same chassis was scary hot on the trails but suck balls off with a 136. Would probly be better with a 144.

On a similar note
Met a 11yr old kid at the trailseekers ride I think he was 11 might have been 12 He was ridin a new xm. His old man riding about a 2010 xp s commented that dad drew the short straw. Wrong. Kid started two seasons ago with two cases of root beer traded and flipped sleds since then went in and paid cash for the new ride. Wtf

Big sled for a young kid though easy to get injured bad I don't care how good of a rider they are they don't have the skeletal and muscle development to handle a machine of that caliber at that age. Jmo
Enjoy

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a bad azz sled, especially for a 12 year old. Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also think it's way more sled then a 12 year old can handle, one of the comments I make to young racers a lot is worry less about power and learn to ride first. Have seen to many kids get hurt riding with more power then they can handle...

At the very least buy him some body armor and a neck brace.....good luck ride safe....

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 10 my twin boys started on a 340 puma, at 12 they were riding my 700 powder special and M7 and at 14 to now, (16) modded M8's. At a younger age they may not have the strenght to throw them around or get them unstuck, but if they have been on them for a while and understand throttle and brake control, you can tell how comfortable they are on them. I know I would never have put them on if I didn't think they couldn't control them. Nice sled, I'm sure he loves it.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has been riding bikes and sleds since he was 3. No sleds for the past 3 years but the kid knows all about power and throttle control. As a parent, we all worry and take precautions to teach them properly. Thanks for the concern.

He likes the hole shot feature. :D

Did I mention it has nitrous? Lol The switch isn't hooked up. :p

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its awesome he's rippin at his age!

My concerns are the Crotch Rockets "organ donor bikes" that absolutely any 16 year old kid can go purchace and hit 200kms hr in 3-4th gear on the roads!

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was 12 I was on a 800 rev and killing it, if he can handle it right on who cares what anyone else says.

Sent from a iPhone

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was 12 I was ripping around my dads 800 dragon. Turned 14 and got my own dragon. If you can handle it theirs no problem with a bigger sled.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
electric start sure takes the big boy outta that though...my boys 8 and i wouldnt be scared to let him ride my xp,,he has been ridin dirtbikes and sleds since he was 4,,first sled was a 340 jag and now hes on a super sick lil mod 500 that m5 built..once they have the throttle/brake control theres no stopin them,,,thats one sick ride u got for ur boy canon..

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had the sled out for my first ride on it. It goes really good. It has a Digitron on it and I noticed on the hard pack trails, the temps would rise to 180-185 and in the deeper stuff 120-130. The sled has a fairly big cooler that runs from the front to about a foot behind the seat, but no rear cooler at the last two feet of tunnel. The tunnel was extended when the track went from 128 to 144. Is this adequate cooling? The egt's were at 700 when riding very conservative and 920-950 when on and off with some good pulls. Normal? The sled has a Variflow.

One little hiccup. While in the twisties on and off, I came around a corner and the sled just died and felt like some one hit the brakes. The brake thing was probably belt position in the clutches. I thought maybe I squeaked a piston. I was a little worried. I looked things over for a couple minutes and it fired right back up. Took off riding and it felt ok. Weird. Does the Digitron have the ability to shut down the ignition if temp or egt's get too high? Thanks.

Top Bottom