Some Friend?? Summit 1000

mdwils

Reaction score
Buddy Of mine won't sell me his 06 Highmark 1000sdi for fear of it blowing up again, so I guess he is a good bud. I just thought it would make a nice addition to my Nytro MTX.
Searching the forums I couldn't pin a main reason these motors blow up. His went twice for reasons I don't know and the third and latest time it was head o-rings or something like that...something they are famous for anyway???
Who can tell me the main problems with these sleds, what to watch out for, and how to not blow them up. There's also a low altitude program?? I read in another post by Summitric that the e-raves go out of adjustment and cause a flat spot....is it somewhere around 6500? This could be the no power spot he complains about.
Also different oppinions about RPM 7900 or 81-8200. Who thinks which is better? Its stock except for MBRP can. One thing we thought of was, the probe(which I'm assuming is a pyro)doesnt screw as far into the can as it does on the stock muffler. But this low altitude program or whatever has me thinking, we're at 1400'. I dont ride with him a whole lot so I cant give specifics on plugs condition, etc.
I've been out of the Ski doo loop since 2000 when I went to Yammie but something about that machine really struck my fancy....
Sorry for rambling.:chatterbox:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
How was this engine repaired? Was it a full replacement, or was it "rebuilt/repaired"? Great sleds, lotsa arm twisting torque. Put the mid altitude program in from 2007 and you won't regret it....... Biggest failure with the engine was ingestion of belt dust through the intake system..... Best to put air pods/filters with pre-filters and you'll never have that problem........ 2006 summit highmark 1000rt 162", same sled as mine!! E-rave flat spot happens on trails usually around 30-40kph(weird little trait they have). I've run mine up around 8200 rpm's ever since i've owned the sled from new....

I put the timbersleds fresh air intake kit, dj clutch kit in primary and secondary, 2007 mid altitude programming, put 15w chain and dropped to 19/45 ratio ...... Rocks pretty good!!! I have twin pipes and boondocker i'll put on some day;)

mdwils

Reaction score
I don't know the rebuild details on the first two failures other than the dealer did it, I can sure ask though, although Buddy here might not know either as he's not a stickler for details. Third time I was with him when it just started POURING out white smoke which was these head seals. So the dealer put a shortblock in it, which confused me why a new shortblock would go in it when its head seals.But thats what I was told. (Warranty until Oct. 2011.)Dealer claims none of the 1000's held up,thay were all junk, buts thats why these forums are here right.
I'll tell him about the 07 Map update. What elevation you at and is the mid altitude map a good one for around 1500'?
And you say the flat spot is just a quirk, and not a e-rave adjustment? Although its something we should check anyway.
What do ya think about the pyro placement, nothin to worry about?
Anyway, yeah when I rode it the other day it does have the arm twisting torque, it really got my attention compared to my really, really stock Nytro.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The exhaust sensor is fine.... I have an mbrp can and it is dooin' it's job where it is. Check the e-rave adjustments for sure.after about 3000kms i just had the o-rings on my 1 cylinder go too, and new 0-rings and it's back on the snow...... I will be putting in 13.5 to 1 dynoport domes soon though, for even more ooomf.......mid altitude is good for everywhere, and produces the most power, and best driveability throughout all elevations........

mdwils

Reaction score
Ok Thanks!
So it sounds like some had good luck, others not so much.At least your machine had around 3000km, this ones got under 1200.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I think my sled has about 5000 on it now. I did have the engine replaced at 2000kms due to a faulty crankshaft..... The crankshaft broke into two, while trail riding up renshaw at about 10kms into the 28kms to the cabin :(. The dealer sent the engine into bombardier for testing, because they never had a broken crankshaft before? Rest of the engine internals looked like new. This engine is flawless with the exception of the o-rings.......i noticed a coolant smell when i started up the sled cold, and also the coolant level dropped a little, and only rode it a few times after, before i pulled the head off and replaced the o-rings.......

mdwils

Reaction score
From what I've been reading this afternoon,
keep a good battery
spare relays
temp and atmos pres sensors can be a headache with different airboxes
fuel psi and voltage drops can cause a bad day.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
from what i've been reading this afternoon,
keep a good battery
spare relays
temp and atmos pres sensors can be a headache with different airboxes
fuel psi and voltage drops can cause a bad day.
Other than that, i'm gold. Haha

yup....... Fresh battery every year and new relays every year..... I've never had any sensor problems, or fuel pump or voltage problems(those were mostly on the '05 model -- mostly corrected for the '06 year)........ Enjoy the arm wrenching torque provided by riding an rt1000 ....... Lots more info on dootalk.com about the 1000's..................................;):)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the full post, but my boss has a mint 06-1000 he'd sell. It has like 600km's if that. Might only be 200km? The last time I saw the sled it was in perfect condition. 100% stock.

He rode it a couple times one year and has never taken it back out. Said he's too stupid with it and too much to risk.

PM me if interested and I can ask what he'll let it go for.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i haven't read the full post, but my boss has a mint 06-1000 he'd sell. It has like 600km's if that. Might only be 200km? The last time i saw the sled it was in perfect condition. 100% stock.

He rode it a couple times one year and has never taken it back out. Said he's too stupid with it and too much to risk.

Pm me if interested and i can ask what he'll let it go for.

shibby..... Find out what he's askin' and post pics if ya can.....or just pm me;)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shibby..... Find out what he's askin' and post pics if ya can.....or just pm me;)

He's away for superbowl till next tuesday... then gone again Friday.

I'll try to mention it to him. I know he hasn't said he wants to sell it, but I know if somebody is willing to buy it he'll let it go since it's been sitting unused. With that comes a bit of maintenance because of it sitting around.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
he's away for superbowl till next tuesday... Then gone again friday.

I'll try to mention it to him. I know he hasn't said he wants to sell it, but i know if somebody is willing to buy it he'll let it go since it's been sitting unused. With that comes a bit of maintenance because of it sitting around.

awesome, pm me or post up here.... Thanks, shibby

mdwils

Reaction score
Send a PM or post my way to shibby
Thanks

Maybe summitric and I can start a bidding war

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know these things were sought after. I thought most people wrote off the 1000's for being heavy and having some injection issues, although I think they were fixed through a reflash?

My knowledge on the 1000's is very limited.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People either seem to love them or hate them, once your used to them its hard to go back to an 800. Just a curious question, If your power hungry and looking to settle the urge and you already have a nytro, why not just turbo it?

mdwils

Reaction score
Believe me I've asked myself that curious question. It IS an 08 that needs a lot of refinements, track, skid,shocks,etc. Turbo plus the other goodies plus my time = same price as biggest used sled around the block.
When I got into 4 strokes I said I wouldn't go back, but after a while I kinda missed holding a 2 stroke to the bar, carving a nut and letting the can deafen me. I just liked the idea of having to different types of machines to suit the mood of the day. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure all the 4 stroke guys have momentary relapses.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There an hole different animal, the MCX 240 kit makes the 1000 look tame.

Top Bottom