Solution to roadside bomb deaths

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have come up with a solution for our troubles of our soilders dying because of the insurgents. let the arrested terrorists walk infront of the foot patrol and humvee's. brings a new meaning to suicide bomber. these terroirists are putting our soilders lives at risk so why not put the shoe on the other foot. may not be pretty but it will stop those terrorist's getting the satisfactions of using a cowards weapon.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best solution is to bring our boys and girls home.

You must remember this is war and both sides will use whatever they have in their arsenal to fight that war, including laser guided missiles and IED's.

Using POW's in this way will do nothing to stop the enemy our soldiers face over there. They could care less who their bombs blow up.

Ask the Russians.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but then our soldiers would probably get charged with murder or something cause we knew that the bombs could possibly be there. but very good idea.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or pull all of our boys and girls out, drop the bomb and turn the place to glass. That movie "The Kingdom" i think really portrays what their attitude is like. Has anyone seen that documentry called the "Taliban"? Eye opener for sure.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propoganda..........shouldn't even be there, they ain't fighting for freedom. There fighting for oil, the US would turn Canada into a sheet of glass just as quick if they were to be cut out of the Canadian oil industry.

And what could we do ? There are more submarines in West Ed Mall, than in the Canadian Navy

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you wake up, have your coffee, bacon and eggs, and read the paper of war abroad, be thankful what our soldiers are doing to keep your armchair critic ass free.

I am proud to be living in a free world, thanks to our Canadian soldiers' participation in the fight against terrorism.. I can't believe how naive some of you are on here.

Some of you guys need to be educated on humanity.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you wake up, have your coffee, bacon and eggs, and read the paper of war abroad, be thankful what our soldiers are doing to keep your armchair critic ass free.

I am proud to be living in a free world, thanks to our Canadian soldiers' participation in the fight against terrorism.. I can't believe how naive some of you are on here.

Some of you guys need to be educated on humanity.

It's in the newspaper, or on the news.....so it has to be true, REALLY. Sorry pal, you may be the one that needs to seek higher education on the subject. I have millitary in the family, over there fighting for the US's oil, freedom, terrorism, have very little to do with it. They are "punch" words to keep the guys like you all ra-ra-ra, and waivin your flags. I have yet to meet anyone in the millitary that has been to the middle east and believes we should be there.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propoganda.......... the US would turn Canada into a sheet of glass just as quick if they were to be cut out of the Canadian oil industry.
Exhibit "A", your honor.:rolleyes: OOH their gonna nuke us?

Time to put away the mad max movies heavy d... oh and the pipe.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That region of the world has been at war for how many thousands of years? So many people have tried to win wars there with no luck, and this time will be no different. It is time to pull out, let them sort out their own issues.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok thought I would chime in since I have firsthand knowledge, having been there for 9 months and going again this year for another 8-12. This is NOT a war about Oil/Gas contrary to conspiracy theorists out there. The Unocal pipeline is something that will never happen, and for the amount the US alone has spent on the War they could have built 20 pipelines through neighbouring countries that are a H$ll of a lot more stable than Afghanistan will be in the next 10 years. In the 9 months I was there and flew/drove all over the country not once did I see a Drilling Rig, Service Rig, Wellhead, Siesmic team, Pipeline or anything else Gas/Oil related anywhere in the country.

This War is the result of 9/11 cut and dry, as a result of the initial invasion it is a responsibility of all involved to help stabilize the country. I've talked with the average Afghani and they are in fact grateful we are there. The hardliners are still there, especially in Kandahar province where the majority of fighting takes place, but things are changing. Canada and the US didn't just roll in waving the flag and expect them to jump for joy and accept democracy over night; this is a generational change, one that is going to take many years. (Look at South Korea in the 50's to where they are now)

Since we went in they now have many of the rights and freedoms that we take for granted, this is something the media rarely reports on, simply because it doesn't sell papers or get viewers. In the words of journalist friends I have "If it bleeds it leads". I saw this almost every day, millions of girls are going to school, infrastructure projects in the millions of $ to help the locals and the economy. Villages that have never had a paved road now do, power, proper wells, schools, medical facilities, district centres, the right to fly a kite....yep couldn't even fly a kite under Taliban Rule, the list goes on and on. In some areas the changes are even more drastic, Coffee shops in Kabul where westerners are welcomed with open arms, local women walking around in jeans and not Burkas, the average income is up significantly, farmers don't have to rely on poppies (heroin) for income; once again the list goes on and on.

As for the roadside bombs....yep they suck, however something the media fails to report is that we find and disarm dozens for everyone that goes boom, killing or injuring both us and the locals because the bomb doesn't really care if it’s a donkey cart or a light armoured vehicle. A close friend of mine disarmed 77 alone in a 6 month tour.
As for the average Canadian Soldier, yes there are a few that don't want to or feel that we should be there (these people for the most part didn't get outside the wire very often), however the vast majority (myself included) want to be there because:

a. It’s what I signed up to do.
b. I have seen firsthand the difference we are making.
c. I’d rather be dodging roadside bombs over there than on the Yellowhead.
d. My brothers in Arms.
e. The Children whose future we are changing.
f. well once again the list goes on.

People are going to believe what they want and everything on TV is real :rolleyes: right, so the argument about if we should be there will never end, however as someone who has been there and looking forward to going there again, WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE in the daily lives of the Afghan people, but like I said, this is a generational change not an overnight one.

As for IRAQ......different story all together.....

Attachments

• atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg
    atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 152

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok thought I would chime in since I have firsthand knowledge, having been there for 9 months and going again this year for another 8-12. This is NOT a war about Oil/Gas contrary to conspiracy theorists out there. The Unocal pipeline is something that will never happen, and for the amount the US alone has spent on the War they could have built 20 pipelines through neighbouring countries that are a H$ll of a lot more stable than Afghanistan will be in the next 10 years. In the 9 months I was there and flew/drove all over the country not once did I see a Drilling Rig, Service Rig, Wellhead, Siesmic team, Pipeline or anything else Gas/Oil related anywhere in the country.

This War is the result of 9/11 cut and dry, as a result of the initial invasion it is a responsibility of all involved to help stabilize the country. I've talked with the average Afghani and they are in fact grateful we are there. The hardliners are still there, especially in Kandahar province where the majority of fighting takes place, but things are changing. Canada and the US didn't just roll in waving the flag and expect them to jump for joy and accept democracy over night; this is a generational change, one that is going to take many years. (Look at South Korea in the 50's to where they are now)

Since we went in they now have many of the rights and freedoms that we take for granted, this is something the media rarely reports on, simply because it doesn't sell papers or get viewers. In the words of journalist friends I have "If it bleeds it leads". I saw this almost every day, millions of girls are going to school, infrastructure projects in the millions of $ to help the locals and the economy. Villages that have never had a paved road now do, power, proper wells, schools, medical facilities, district centres, the right to fly a kite....yep couldn't even fly a kite under Taliban Rule, the list goes on and on. In some areas the changes are even more drastic, Coffee shops in Kabul where westerners are welcomed with open arms, local women walking around in jeans and not Burkas, the average income is up significantly, farmers don't have to rely on poppies (heroin) for income; once again the list goes on and on.

As for the roadside bombs....yep they suck, however something the media fails to report is that we find and disarm dozens for everyone that goes boom, killing or injuring both us and the locals because the bomb doesn't really care if it’s a donkey cart or a light armoured vehicle. A close friend of mine disarmed 77 alone in a 6 month tour.
As for the average Canadian Soldier, yes there are a few that don't want to or feel that we should be there (these people for the most part didn't get outside the wire very often), however the vast majority (myself included) want to be there because:

a. It’s what I signed up to do.
b. I have seen firsthand the difference we are making.
c. I’d rather be dodging roadside bombs over there than on the Yellowhead.
d. My brothers in Arms.
e. The Children whose future we are changing.
f. well once again the list goes on.

People are going to believe what they want and everything on TV is real :rolleyes: right, so the argument about if we should be there will never end, however as someone who has been there and looking forward to going there again, WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE in the daily lives of the Afghan people, but like I said, this is a generational change not an overnight one.

As for IRAQ......different story all together.....

thanks, i was about to write something on this thread now i dont have to!
did 8 months there myself, what he said!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks aircanam for informing some of us on what is really going on there.
Also thank you and vanislerev for serving.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed people thanks.:beer:

I have heard that the only citizens in Afghanistan that are glad we are there are the women and children because the men, (Taliban) treat the women like animals. Any truth to this?

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed people thanks.:beer:

I have heard that the only citizens in Afghanistan that are glad we are there are the women and children because the men, (Taliban) treat the women like animals. Any truth to this?

The Taliban definitely don't want us there, but the average Afghani for the most part are glad, especially the women and children. As for treatment of women it depends on the area you are in. Kandahar is a little more extreme compared to most of the country. However things are even changing there, under the Taliban women were dirt....actually less than dirt. They couldn't have a job, go to school (yes even young girls), essentially didn't leave the house and were seen by men as only serving one purpose and that was making babies. Now they are politicians, police officers, doctors, teachers, business owners and so on.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Aircanam, and vanislerev for what your guys are doing and that goes for the rest of our service personnel!. I am currently in Iraq and yes, I would say the big reason for what is going on over here is the Oil, I was told yesterday in a meeting that they are wanting to take Oil production from 2 million bbl/day up to 10 million bb/day in the next five years..there are huge drilling programs going into effect here, and this economy is going to get turned up side down!...Oil in Iraq yes...Oil in Afghanistan No.

Top Bottom