sold the duramax now looking for a mega cab

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now that the duramax is gone i am leaning towards a dodge mega cab diesel. whats your guys thoughts on the 6.7 cummins. I am leaning towards a 08-09 2500 or 3500 laramie mega cab. dont really want to go much higher than about 150,000 kms. around 100 kms would be ideal. no junk either. this truck must be really nice and well cared for. My budget is around $35,000. give me your opinions on the truck and if you have one for sale or know of a nice one. i may travel a ways for the right one.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a duramax why did you sell it?? I have a buddy with a 12 mega cab. Im a GM guy like the powertrain in the dodge not crazy about the rest of the truck thou.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The motor and tranny was silky smooth on the duramax, very nice set up. some small reasons that i got rid of the duramax. you cant put decent size tires on without installling a large lift kit. i ran 35" tires with just a leveling kit but had to do a large fender mod. afterwards it rode like absoulute crap, rough as hell, couldnt turn without rubbing. also i used to have a mega cab and loved the massive cab compared to the small duramax crew cab. other than s few small things the duramax was really a nice truck if you leave it stock. i just enjoyed my dodge a bit more and want to go that way.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Right on I do agree the cab room in the mega cab is wicked for sure. Wish Ford and Gm would compete with the Dodge for the cab space.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.7 is a pretty solid engine but like ANY diesel truck of that era, the emissions systems are what kill them and fuel economy. With that said I've had good luck with both of the 6.7s I run at home and at work. Keep up on your oil and filter changes, work the engine like it was designed to and you'll be in good shape. Finding delete kits now is proving to be harder and harder with the EPA clamping down on tuner manufacturers. Also being a dodge, be prepared to fix the front end if it hasn't been done. Carli makes a nice upgrade kit that'll fix the factory flaws for good, its a bit of coin but well worth it IMO. My 2012 megacab will be getting said upgrade when the time comes.

Also be prepared to hate parking lots and turning around in tight spaces.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2010 dodge mega cab dually , 134000 km Laramie fully loaded , full turbo back exhaust , egr delete , air intake , fuel rail plug , h&s mini max tuner , just did the head gasket at 130000 installed 625 arp head studs , spray in box liner , fifth wheel rails , 17 inch black fuel rims 265/70/17 tires , iron cross front bumper thinking around the 40 grand mark

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no dually. sounds like a nice truck though.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.7 is a pretty solid engine but like ANY diesel truck of that era, the emissions systems are what kill them and fuel economy. With that said I've had good luck with both of the 6.7s I run at home and at work. Keep up on your oil and filter changes, work the engine like it was designed to and you'll be in good shape. Finding delete kits now is proving to be harder and harder with the EPA clamping down on tuner manufacturers. Also being a dodge, be prepared to fix the front end if it hasn't been done. Carli makes a nice upgrade kit that'll fix the factory flaws for good, its a bit of coin but well worth it IMO. My 2012 megacab will be getting said upgrade when the time comes.

Also be prepared to hate parking lots and turning around in tight spaces.
Theres a huge recall out or coming out for dodge front ends all the way back to 2003 so no reason not to buy a dodge now!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a huge recall out or coming out for dodge front ends all the way back to 2003 so no reason not to buy a dodge now!
That recall will be hit and miss. I'm chasing wobble in the front end of my 10. 78K, it's out of warranty. Dodge won't cover anything under the recall. It' only for a select group of serial numers. I've been chasing this wobble for 2 months now...seems like I change something ad it's gone for a week then it comes back...not much left in front end to change. Funny t started happening 2 months out of warranty.....

steve a

Reaction score
I had 03 ford wouldn't start at minus 10, traded it for 11 ram 3500 best truck I've had, turns tighter than 95 chev ,if you don't need space behind back seat the reg crew has same leg room in the back as mega cab and prob more common to find cheaper too

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a mega cab. let me know if you have or know of a nice one. willing to travel for right truck. dont want to go over $35,000.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That recall will be hit and miss. I'm chasing wobble in the front end of my 10. 78K, it's out of warranty. Dodge won't cover anything under the recall. It' only for a select group of serial numers. I've been chasing this wobble for 2 months now...seems like I change something ad it's gone for a week then it comes back...not much left in front end to change. Funny t started happening 2 months out of warranty.....

****ty beans. My lifted 10' was fine until I went to a stock offset wheel (narrower) for winter with D rated Duratracs (soft sidewall) and 2 sleds on the deck. Had the dreaded death wobble twice on the way to Revy. Freaked me out and I was pretty worried about front end parts busting off or welds cracking.

Limped her home after my trip. Had a Fox dual steering stabilizer installed, steering box brace, and put my wider offset rims back on. Fixed it up good as new. The shop recommended I throw on an aftermarket track bar too but I probably wont end up doing it as it's fine now. Maybe my steering stabilizer was getting weak, I'm not sure. Piss poor design though and Dodge never really did step up to the plate to fix these trucks properly. Hopefully the 13' 3 link front ends work better and don't endanger people's lives.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
****ty beans. My lifted 10' was fine until I went to a stock offset wheel (narrower) for winter with D rated Duratracs (soft sidewall) and 2 sleds on the deck. Had the dreaded death wobble twice on the way to Revy. Freaked me out and I was pretty worried about front end parts busting off or welds cracking.

Limped her home after my trip. Had a Fox dual steering stabilizer installed, steering box brace, and put my wider offset rims back on. Fixed it up good as new. The shop recommended I throw on an aftermarket track bar too but I probably wont end up doing it as it's fine now. Maybe my steering stabilizer was getting weak, I'm not sure. Piss poor design though and Dodge never really did step up to the plate to fix these trucks properly. Hopefully the 13' 3 link front ends work better and don't endanger people's lives.

I thought it was the duratracs too. Seem to be fine. Had them up over 70psi and as low as 35 to test and same thing. Truck has not been nice to me. 3rd Cummins worst one yet and I drive pretty mellow. 78K of highway and I've changed 2 rear u-joints, 2 front axle u-joints, steering column, steering box, all shocks, swaybar links, drag link, tranny valve body and a few solenoids (no tuner on it at that time), ECM (truck had 8500km on it...took them 29 days to fix and I had to fight to get a car - Don't do business with Triple Seven Chrsler in Regina) and a wheel bearing. Truck is possessed I think. If I didn't have to take such a hit it would be long gone. Doing Ball joints and track bar this week....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Steering stabilizer doesn't actually fix death wobble, it just bandaids the symptom.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pending speed and how violent the wobble happens it can screw steering box also .
Steering box takes all the hammering when it happens .

butters

Reaction score
2011 dodge 3500 140000 km with 6 inch lift, no front end issues yet...first set of tires lasted 85000 km with no abnormal wear. Second set is looking the same way.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steering stabilizer doesn't actually fix death wobble, it just bandaids the symptom.

I agree but if you have a bad steering stabilizer than a new one will fix it. On the other hand, something prob caused the stabilizer to be toast. It's unfortunate but no one has an absolute "fix" for these things. Basically a lot of trial and error, money and time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom