Software updates for beacons.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a Mammut Pulse beacon that is a few years old. It probably needs a software update.

I contacted ASS (Avalanche Safety Solutions) in Golden in June and they informed me that their machine had been sent out for it's own update. I have tried many times through August and now into September to get in touch with them but they do not answer emails nor the telephone.

Anybody know what is going on with ASS? Is there another business that does the beacon updates?

Thanks for your input.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can check with Lori at Zacstracks. She updated mine when i did my ast lvl 1 years ago.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think ASS pretty much shuts down for August September or seems. Drove by there the other day and they are still occupying space.
I too need to update two pulses.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mountain Equipment Coop does firmware updates. Updated my Pieps. Took about 10 minutes.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When they update the transceiver, they perform device checks and just like phones, computers etec, just gives you the latest firmware that is in new devices

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But, but, but they (mec) the devil.

I know but the other company here in Calgary never returns calls or emails. There is a guy in Canmore that updates Pieps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know but the other company here in Calgary never returns calls or emails. There is a guy in Canmore that updates Pieps too.

Like I mentioned to FernieSnow, give Zacstracks a call. Lori was the one that upgraded my pieps.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the update doo?

The update for the Peips allows the unit to automatically go back to transmit mode after the search mode has been enabled. A preset time. If you're caught in an avy while searching this is a good update.
They also perform a complete system check of all the features.
Gave me a print out showing everything was OK.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned to FernieSnow, give Zacstracks a call. Lori was the one that upgraded my pieps.

Good to know for future updates. Too bad Pieps didn't give me that info when I contacted them.

DTH

Reaction score
I have a Mammut Pulse beacon that is a few years old. It probably needs a software update.

I contacted ASS (Avalanche Safety Solutions) in Golden in June and they informed me that their machine had been sent out for it's own update. I have tried many times through August and now into September to get in touch with them but they do not answer emails nor the telephone.

Anybody know what is going on with ASS? Is there another business that does the beacon updates?

Thanks for your input.
Prob closed for the off season. Drove by there today at about 11:00 am and all lights were off.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I got mine done at a local ski shop here in Calgary called Lou's Performance Centre

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Mountain Equipment Coop does firmware updates. Updated my Pieps. Took about 10 minutes.

Dan, I checked with them on Tuesday and they do not do the Pulse and the impression I got is that they don't do any updates. I was told to go directly to Mammut! Many times one gets staff at MEC that have absolutely no people skills.

I have contacted Lori at Zac's and she was checking to see if her updates were updated. i will keep this gong with the information as I find it.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago someone posted here that the Mammut company supported the Sierra Club. If so maybe you should just chuck your beacon away and buy one from a company that supports sledding. I looked last season but no longer could see a list from Mammut who they supported but we have to keep this stuff in mind.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A couple years ago someone posted here that the Mammut company supported the Sierra Club. If so maybe you should just chuck your beacon away and buy one from a company that supports sledding. I looked last season but no longer could see a list from Mammut who they supported but we have to keep this stuff in mind.

There are some things in life that, as one gets wiser, it is worthwhile doing. I bought the Pulse because it is high on the list of functionality and the other members of our group also had the Pulse (heart rates can be found on theses similar beacons) and that was more important than where Mammut spends some advertising dollars.

It is interesting when one gets into this scenario about advertising money and support. A lot of energy is spent bashing the companies that support our adversaries but I never once I have seen a snowmobile group ever ask or apply for these available dollars.

I know that MEC is an adversary and quite out front with where their dollars go, their objectives, and so forth but that is their choice. Sometimes they have a product that I want/need that isn't available anywhere else. I will buy from them after checking across the street first.

BTW Chris, I bough my beacon from Zac's, it is a company that supports sledding and sledders very strongly.

Top Bottom