So...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT A???Avys I mean

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT???Avys I mean

So, I think its fairly safe to say that we have established the fact that avy's are crazy right now and have taken lots from the sledding community.

Amidst all the bashing and personal attacks in which people seem deeply concerned about hoisting their own personal opinions above someone else's, as if their moral choice is entirely correct and anyone who doesn't follow suit is a complete lunatic.................I want to know......WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???

Instead of making my point known here on the internet - as soon as I finish this post - I'm calling my buddy and telling him to cancel his sled trip with all his buddies next weekend. And then I'm calling and telling my dad to stay home for a weekend as well.

I think we can all say we are here for the greater good of the sledding community and each person is trying to get people to be safe in their own way. However bashing and making comments about what has happened is reactive instead of proactive.

I get the feeling that a lot of the members on the site are well informed and so disrespecting one another isn't getting us anywhere. We are effectively "preaching to the converted". If anyone lives near a trailhead or is going sledding or is volunteering for a club or has buddies that are going sledding, remind everyone you meet not to be stupid and tell your friends to be safe, etc, etc. Let's inform everyone and prevent these tragedies before they happen. Even though its on the media, they have not focused on the real issue of highmarking on these slopes and maybe some of the sledders who are not on this site and SW are not getting the message LOUD AND CLEAR. I know its not an excuse for them not being informed but seriously.....smack them in the back of the head if you have to. People need a wake up call - don't be stupid and you'll live to sled another day. Getting the highmark this year just isn't worth it.

Call everyone you know and let them know just how bad it is out there if they are sledding, tell them not to highmark if they are out sledding and to stay off the hills. Tell them to dig a snow pit and check the conditions. Let's get through the weekend without another tragedy.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: So...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT???Avys I mean

i for one won't be giving up riding, but am going to make better decisions when in the back country.
i won't be doing anymore high marking this year, i will be sticking to the meadows. it doesn't mean you still can't go out and have fun, boondocking through the trees and finding some jumps and drops to hit are probably my favorite thing to do anyways.
we were out ysterday, found a couple booters and launched off them for awhile. it was great fun. that, and just getting out of town, being 'in' the mounatins, being with friends, and most often haveing a beer on the hill, that's whats it is really all about.
i hope everybody else is also going to make the 'right' decision, and just play it safe.

W

woodies

see you in hills on tuesday, lots of safe areas to ride.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So, I think its fairly safe to say that we have established the fact that avy's are crazy right now and have taken lots from the sledding community.

Amidst all the bashing and personal attacks in which people seem deeply concerned about hoisting their own personal opinions above someone else's, as if their moral choice is entirely correct and anyone who doesn't follow suit is a complete lunatic.................I want to know......WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT???

Instead of making my point known here on the internet - as soon as I finish this post - I'm calling my buddy and telling him to cancel his sled trip with all his buddies next weekend. And then I'm calling and telling my dad to stay home for a weekend as well.

I think we can all say we are here for the greater good of the sledding community and each person is trying to get people to be safe in their own way. However bashing and making comments about what has happened is reactive instead of proactive.

I get the feeling that a lot of the members on the site are well informed and so disrespecting one another isn't getting us anywhere. We are effectively "preaching to the converted". If anyone lives near a trailhead or is going sledding or is volunteering for a club or has buddies that are going sledding, remind everyone you meet not to be stupid and tell your friends to be safe, etc, etc. Let's inform everyone and prevent these tragedies before they happen. Even though its on the media, they have not focused on the real issue of highmarking on these slopes and maybe some of the sledders who are not on this site and SW are not getting the message LOUD AND CLEAR. I know its not an excuse for them not being informed but seriously.....smack them in the back of the head if you have to. People need a wake up call - don't be stupid and you'll live to sled another day. Getting the highmark this year just isn't worth it.

Call everyone you know and let them know just how bad it is out there if they are sledding, tell them not to highmark if they are out sledding and to stay off the hills. Tell them to dig a snow pit and check the conditions. Let's get through the weekend without another tragedy.

snow pits don't work for sledding we cover to vaste of terrain,and telling everyone not to ride isen't the answer you can get killed on DEERFOOT just as easy as mountain play land.Its only as bad as you make it.you need to survey surrounding area and read the snow(an experienced person can) look for wind loading signs,sun exposed/south faces they've got better chances of sliding.snow can tell you a lot and varables change with temp,elevation,wind and sun,I really didn't want to be on this thread but people are going the wrong way,just get more education on snow.Ive been apart of 12+ recovery from fortress mtn four teens,to the last couple in revy and golden.and I have 10+yrs experience reading terrain and thing it helps and keeps me safer.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I for one will not give up sleding in the mountains because the avy danger is extreme. There are so many safe areas to ride. There are so many meadows and creeks and safe areas that are snow loaded and are a blast to ride in. Boondocking and tree riding has never been this good in many years. I have looked at a lot of hills that I would normally blast up but when you survey the surrounding terain and observe the naturally occuring slides around then its off to the trees and meadows. Havent missed a ride this year to uncertanty and wont for the remainder of the season. Just because your riding different terain doesnt mean your not having a blast. I dont stop driving my truck across town because it snowed and the roads are icy either. There are still however many guys out there that do not heed the warnings and are climbing extremely stupid slopes. when you question them they tell you to go f*#% off and keep it up. I hope I dont have to dig one of these guys out some day.

Top Bottom