So how did we do this year??

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious how we did as sledders this year in regards to fatalities (Sorry might seem a bit morbid). Being such a bad year for avalanches I am curious are we less than previous years? More? Are we getting the picture??? Are all the Avalanche classes and great sites like this spreading the word making a difference? I sure hope so.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THIS MIGHT HELP.... Map of avalanche deaths in B.C. | Features | CBC British Columbia

Rise in avalanche fatalities this year has Canadian Avalanche Centre worried

By ,Calgary Sun

First posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 04:26 PM MDT | Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 07:47 AM MDT
1297538302819_ORIGINAL.jpg
STARS air ambulance lifts off for Calgary, with a man who was caught in an avalanche near Lake Louise, Alberta on Saturday March 15, 2014. Al Charest/Calgary Sun

In just over a week. between March 8 and Sunday, eight people lost their lives as the result of avalanches in Alberta and B.C..
On Sunday, Calgary’s Gregory Di Valentin died after he was caught in an avalanche while skiing near Hwy. 93, north of Lake Louise on Saturday.
Also on Saturday, the bodies of a father and his 11-year-old son — identified as Gabriel and Oliver Mironov of Quebec — were found near Lake Louise after they were apparently caught in an avalanche while tobogganing, possibly several days earlier.
The three fatalities follow the deaths of three snowmobilers in separate incidents last week and two snowshoers caught in a slide near Lake Louise March 8.
The total number of avalanche-related deaths since the start of the 2014 season, which began Oct. 1, 2013, is 13.
“We’re worried because there’s still season left and the snow pack is poor,” said Mary Clayton, spokeswoman for the Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC).
Ilya Storm, field programs manager at the CAC, said avalanche conditions have been especially unpredictable lately.
“They change week to week and sometimes they change day to day, and this last week was one of those times where they changed hour by hour,” he said.
“There’s lots of evidence to show how surprising avalanches are and how they can catch people off guard.”
With just five people killed, the 2013 season saw the lowest annual number of avalanche fatalities since 1984.
jenna.mcmurray@sunmedia.ca
On Twitter: @SunJMac

Canadian avalanche-related fatalities
2014 to date: 13
2013: 5
2012: 10
2011: 11
2010: 12
2009: 26
2008: 18
2007: 7

Pantherscry

Reaction score
It is to bad we have to see lists with such high numbers of deaths every year. It is not surprising when you see what people ride on the highest avalanche risk days of the year. Lets hope the awareness continues to increase and people get themselves trained. Obviously training is not going to stop everyone from choosing a bad line, but everyone I have talked to with AST1 has said they look at the mountain a lot different after the course. I found the Father and Son story especially sad.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to me that there were a lot more non-snowmobiler avalanche deaths this winter

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Karl Klassen was on the radio yesterday and said 15 avalanche related deaths so far this year, very poor year for certain. I hate to make the comparison between snowmobilers and other backcountry users but God knows those that oppose us will. I have not heard a comparison yet, I would love to know the accuracy of these numbers as the big ski operators do a pretty good job of keeping their incidents out of the media. There was a woman killed in the Gothics last week that was little more than a footnote.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
From the CAC website, with BC and AB and only snowmobile fatalities checked off, this is what came up:
DateLocationProvinceActivityInvolvementInjuryFatality
2014-01-18Goat RidgeBCSnowmobiling1-1View
2014-02-15Revelstoke, Boulder MountainBCSnowmobiling201View
2014-03-08Keefer LakeBCSnowmobiling321View
2014-03-11Grey Creek PassBCSnowmobiling101View
2014-03-14Blue River, Red Sands Mtn.BCSnowmobiling211V

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sad that when people totally ignore the CAC Special warnings and end up dead, so preventable.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its all about snow pack conditions, this year took many experienced people by surprise.
can't really compare year to year, to many variables.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the stats. I totally agree, this was a eye opener of a season for many.

finndoo

Reaction score
Here is stats that i found, curious how they have decided to separate skiing, and heli skiing, as well as snowboarding. The way they have done it makes it seem like snowmobiling is responsible for most avy fatalities.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 137

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree! I'd call that 101 skiing related (if my math is correct) and 79 snowmobile.
What was going on in 2008- 2009 for sleds, Ouch!
02-03 was a bad your for skiing as well.

Looks like we were on the decline since 2009 until last year with the weird snow we had. Lets hope that drops down again.... well lets hope it's Zero!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution....People here on this site lost fellow friends, riders, companions last year. I don't feel this to be appropriate. One of those "numbers" on that list was a experienced rider very close to home for me. I didn't know him but had rode with people that knew him. It's a tough pill to swallow. There is no way to totalling prepare yourself for an outback adventure of any kind and when you put yourself at risk to anything mother nature throws out, accidents will happen. Its high risk. I agree totally that we need to make people aware of the risks but please lets use caution when talking about the fallen.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to anyone that lost or knew someone that lost a friend or family member. This post was not meant to be morbid but was more to bring awareness which you acknowledge. I totally agree with you and point taken.
As you said accidents will happen and that's not just with sledding. I'm sure we have lost fellow riders on the highways going to and from our favorite spots.
I think it is important to know the numbers to bring awareness. If these numbers were on the incline we are not getting it. Yes we take calculated risks. If our calculations are not correct accidents will happen. It's education that gives us the knowledge to make these calculations.

I feel that these numbers should be acknowledged to set an example that yes accidents do happen, and yes lives were lost not because of recklessness but how mother nature can and will throw us a curve ball and we better be ready for it. Last season was unlike anything we have seen and again needs to be recognized that the world is changing, we need to keep on our toes and continue with educating ourselves.

I am not the best at expressing myself, this post is with heartfelt thoughts for the ones that have fallen enjoying the sport we love so much.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to anyone that lost or knew someone that lost a friend or family member. This post was not meant to be morbid but was more to bring awareness which you acknowledge. I totally agree with you and point taken.
As you said accidents will happen and that's not just with sledding. I'm sure we have lost fellow riders on the highways going to and from our favorite spots.
I think it is important to know the numbers to bring awareness. If these numbers were on the incline we are not getting it. Yes we take calculated risks. If our calculations are not correct accidents will happen. It's education that gives us the knowledge to make these calculations.

I feel that these numbers should be acknowledged to set an example that yes accidents do happen, and yes lives were lost not because of recklessness but how mother nature can and will throw us a curve ball and we better be ready for it. Last season was unlike anything we have seen and again needs to be recognized that the world is changing, we need to keep on our toes and continue with educating ourselves.

I am not the best at expressing myself, this post is with heartfelt thoughts for the ones that have fallen enjoying the sport we love so much.

I truly and sincerely Thank you for replying but its not a competition between groups. The same schooling applies to all outback adventurers. I've taken it and I HIGHLY recommend everybody to get it.

Top Bottom