Snowshoes on sled

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had/used snowshoes while sledding. Thinking they may come in handy sometimes especially when really stuck. I believe I could strap them to my tunnel bag.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're fairly cumbersome to pack and not worth the time to put on for a stuck. Really only useful if you need to walk out but extremely useful in that situation. I was looking at some inflatable ones to carry in my tunnel bag.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
They're fairly cumbersome to pack and not worth the time to put on for a stuck. Really only useful if you need to walk out but extremely useful in that situation. I was looking at some inflatable ones to carry in my tunnel bag.

Really...inflatable...that’s cool.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who has a smaller pair strapped to his tunnel with a bunjie and he says he will never ride without, he got them after he could of used a set. he purchased for every family members sled. hopefully never need a set but inflatibly ones sound like a neat concept for emergency but not for stucks

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of our group carry snowshoes. We consider them another piece of survival gear. If you ever tried to go more than ten feet in knee deep snow ,or deeper, you understand.
They are a godsend when you have to slog through 3 feet of snow to go help your buddy, nothing like being worn out halfway through the day because you were fighting snow.
What else are you going to use that 2.5 feet of tunnel for anyway?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of our group carry snowshoes. We consider them another piece of survival gear. If you ever tried to go more than ten feet in knee deep snow ,or deeper, you understand.
They are a godsend when you have to slog through 3 feet of snow to go help your buddy, nothing like being worn out halfway through the day because you were fighting snow.
What else are you going to use that 2.5 feet of tunnel for anyway?

Any pics?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy enough to make a set of bush snowshoes, with nothing more than a saw/knife, rope/string and a few long branches off a spruce tree, real pain in the butt hauling snow shoes around on sled all the time, but when needed they are worth their weight in gold. google primitive snowshoes.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy enough to make a set of bush snowshoes, with nothing more than a saw/knife, rope/string and a few long branches off a spruce tree, real pain in the butt hauling snow shoes around on sled all the time, but when needed they are worth their weight in gold. google primitive snowshoes.

Ya really quite surprised it took this long to be brought up, learned how to make them as a kid in survival class, very simple and will save your life

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found a vid
https://youtu.be/8j5ePv_l-GM

IMG_73811.jpg

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya really quite surprised it took this long to be brought up, learned how to make them as a kid in survival class, very simple and will save your life

yup i have made a couple sets way back when working up north, hauling through the bush. worked really well, were easy to make, also seemed to float on top of snow better than most store bought. have a set of 14 x48 store bought now. Made many a mile down a few trails up in the chin, rainbow lakes area. snow shoes will save your butt!

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sometimes take a set along if I know we are going to be riding in areas where it may be better to walk to help a stuck, than try to ride too close. Mine are in a bag and Since I have a CFR rack on my sled I can strap them on with one bungee.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Years ago, when I used to break trail into some of our basins, we would use snowshoes. The main reason was because the rocks were so big in the creeks that there would be a lot of carnage. A fair amount of speed was required and sometimes it wasn't pretty. The "shoes" were a real asset. Walk in and back, wait awhile for it to set up and go. The chain saw was also required due to wind blown trees across the trail. We are talking about steep drainages and the only way to get up them is in the bottom of the creek. It was a lot of work but always a great day!

The rack I made worked for the LinQ system and sat above the tunnel. With the bag on the "shoes" there was a heating concern sometimes (the sled heating not the bag). Worked great and was only used on special occasions. With the 3" tracks and the power of today's sleds, I don't find the need for "shoes" anymore. I do know that if a person had to walk out, it would be a real pita, but once the trail is set-up it wouldn't be that bad.

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

Top Bottom