Snowmobiling from Calgary

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
I have read some of the posts... Looks like Cataract Creek is popular... I am a begining rider, only been out on my sled two times. Once for fun in some ditches and the second time I went to Whitecourt with some other people for the snow rally last year.....

Lots to learn still and would like to get out a little more....

Besides Cataract Creek where else near Calgary is there to go? Being new I do not want to drive 4 hours each way and I would like to try more than one spot outI want to start closer to home and venture out as I gain experience and comfort with my sled and my abilities.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Besides MacLean & Cataract Creeks which are 1 to 1.5 hours Southwest of Calgary, the next area with trails is Bearberry, Caroline and Rocky Mtn House which is 1.5 - 2.5 hours Northwest of town. I just drove back from Okotoks this morning and there's great snow in the ditches on the West side of the highway so you can always go out ditchbanging to get a goos sense of comfort on your sled if you don't want to travel far. Try 22X in the ditches west of the city or perhaps East or West along the Transcanada if there's enough snow there.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also north on the forestery trunk road north west of cochrane.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any of the prairie lakes south of calgary, do a little ice fishing, get a fire blazing and lots of simulated groomed trail riding on the lake, with some awesome drifts blown in on the shoreline.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would that be the 942 up through Waiporous? Heard they have placed a lot of restrictions on the trails out there and would appreciate hearing from anyone who's ridden the area in recent past?

I rode a trail directly east of the ghost airstrip campgound in sept...on my enduro bike...it was a steep cat trail as far as the eye can see....the ranger told me its set up for snow machines.....

problem is I am not sure if there is enough snow there.,...????

anyone go up hwy 40 north from the 1a and check......?????

max900

Reaction score
hay boys be in airdrie on friday night whats the best way to maclean or cataract or just woudering if could hook up with some others buddy and i want to put some miles on willing to sled anywhere im from lloydminster area and no snow here it blew into sask. :rolleyes::rolleyes::beer:

Volksnutt

Reaction score
There is also Sibbald snowmobile area which is west on highway 1. If there is snow its a nice ride but you can only stay on the road called the powderface.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
hay boys be in airdrie on friday night whats the best way to maclean or cataract or just woudering if could hook up with some others buddy and i want to put some miles on willing to sled anywhere im from lloydminster area and no snow here it blew into sask. :rolleyes::rolleyes::beer:

Funny note on the snows being blown into Sask.

Here's a link to the trail map for Cataract. It also shows the highway from Longview as well. Basically you head south on Hwy 22 from Calgary to Longview, then turn west on #541 and travel 35 Klm to the gates at #940, then turn south where theres two staging areas at Etherington (about 8 klm down), then another 7 or 8 klm further south to Cataract Creek. I'll be at Cataract Saturday around 10.00 AM

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any of the prairie lakes south of calgary, do a little ice fishing, get a fire blazing and lots of simulated groomed trail riding on the lake, with some awesome drifts blown in on the shoreline.

keep a mindfull eye out for barbed wire fences

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey TAz how are you doing this year offers still open any time you want to get out cant do this sat but sunday may be in the cards

day after boxing day at kat is scheduled day for riding w/ the smaller kids
pm me and i will let you know the details

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
McLean creek is 60kms west on hwy 22x...very easy to get to

I might be there Sat....Usually ride from noon till 5pm...but saw a few quaders in the area last week...might go to cataract instead...definitely by hook or by crook will be riding this weekend

curious about sibbald and ghost area...with regards to snow amounts.....anyone checked them out this year :confused:

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Thanks for all the replies..... Great info in here...

bhowes... I will take you up on a ride but I have my daughter this weekend...... After X-Mass works good. I will PM you.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are also lots of trails if you head south to the crowsnest pass. i think pretty much each little town (blairmore, coleman, etc...) have a staging area somewhere. pretty sure they groom them now and again too, but i'm not positive.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are also lots of trails if you head south to the crowsnest pass. i think pretty much each little town (blairmore, coleman, etc...) have a staging area somewhere. pretty sure they groom them now and again too, but i'm not positive.

And the roads are in good shape to get there too......

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the roads are in good shape to get there too......

if your heading to crowsnest pass stop in at the fas gas in frank as they have trail maps and can hook ya up with trail passes if ya dont have
then follow signs for a staging area....
can access the south trail system from blairmore as well as coleman
the north is out of the west side of coleman(mcgillvary) and also north of the gas plant

Top Bottom