Snowmobiler Hits Barbwire Fence

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While on our Family Ride in Ministik on Saturday February 10 we came across the site of a snowmobile accident. The rider did not follow the lake markers set out on Ministik Lake, instead they short cutted off the lake to the tree trail. There is a reason why the lake markers are where they are. I am sure the snowmobiler NOW realizes why the lake-markers and trail are 100 feet from the fence...to leave a large buffer.... but obviously some people must make there own trails...

I just hope it was only your machine you wrecked and not your body as you broke out 2 fence posts!!!!!!:nono:

We have spend thousands of hours setting up and clearing these trails and if you ride off them you will find hidden dangers... The most notorious of all are the Giant Ministik White Rocks...for real... Then the 1' to 3' frost heaves with flat faces on them... or for you water lovers the many springs around the shorelines or beaver feeding areas...

Hope you are Okay

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like there's a little bit of blood on the snow. Hopefully they weren't injured too badly. There are reasons we have lathe and signs up on trail systems, but then again, we have signs up on highways and not everyone obeys them either.

GRD

Reaction score
Looks like flags or ribbons, I don't see blood!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My Bad, now that I look closer is does look to be survers tape, which leads to another question, if the fence was flagged, how in the world did they manage to hit it?

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While on our Family Ride in Ministik on Saturday February 10 we came across the site of a snowmobile accident. The rider did not follow the lake markers set out on Ministik Lake, instead they short cutted off the lake to the tree trail. There is a reason why the lake markers are where they are. I am sure the snowmobiler NOW realizes why the lake-markers and trail are 100 feet from the fence...to leave a large buffer.... but obviously some people must make there own trails...

I just hope it was only your machine you wrecked and not your body as you broke out 2 fence posts!!!!!!:nono:

We have spend thousands of hours setting up and clearing these trails and if you ride off them you will find hidden dangers... The most notorious of all are the Giant Ministik White Rocks...for real... Then the 1' to 3' frost heaves with flat faces on them... or for you water lovers the many springs around the shorelines or beaver feeding areas...

Hope you are Okay

Aren't there Darwin Awards for those types of people (assuming this "event" happened during the flagged snowmobile ralley)? Perhaps a candidate.:cool:

Tekim

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Bad, now that I look closer is does look to be survers tape, which leads to another question, if the fence was flagged, how in the world did they manage to hit it?

I think Brian may have marked the posts when they were down. Or maybe they were up and someone thought they were a target? :D

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geo Flagged Posts

We try stay clear of any fences that protrude into the lake shores.
But we can not remove the fences, so the best we can do move the trail away from the fence and Geo flag the hell of the posts and wire.

Those posts & wire were geo flagged for years.

The sled tracks turned off the Lake trail and 200' straight into the posts...they did see the posts as they skidded for probably 20 feet but still straight into the posts... had they turned left a little they would have missed everything...

Do you suppose a lesson learned.................NOT.

Have a great day

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the 'blood' version, it was sounding pretty good. Maybe the person hit the barbed-wire in the middle section.....aaannnnd the posts were pulled out of the ground....aaaaannnnd whipped together and hit the person on either side of their head....aaaaannnnd because the person didn't pay attention to the marked trails they likely forgot to put on a helmet that day....aaaaannnnd SPLAT!!. Next thing you know... there's blood on the ground. THE-END. :bs:

OK, I'll admit it, I haven't always made the right decisions all the time either. Hope the person was ok:cool:

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to brian tonight and apparently the flag tape was on the posts before they where hit. So, they were some kind of special snowmobile magnet markers that said "please user your sled to slam into just these two marked posts and miss all the rest"....hmmmm....special tape?

Top Bottom