Snowmobile clubs and other related questions....

Reaction score
So I joined the Calgary Club this year, with the sole intention of supporting the sport. Attending meetings is unlikely at this stage.

I got a package in the mail with all my info/cards etc... it also came with stickers... (I don't recall right now if they were CSC or ASA stickers)... but.. do people actually put these on their sleds? Is it "required"? Where do you put them? I personaly hate stickers lol and generally spend hours removing them from my vehicles. I don't necessarily care if anyone knows that I'm a "club member" unless there is some "perk" I'm unaware of??

I'd love some more info from more experienced members.

Also..... I read in another thread that trail passes in some areas are REQUIRED... how would one know in advance where those areas might be? I'll probably have more questions. It just seems that the "more I learn, the less I know." There's just so much to know these days, compared to when I rode as a kid...... out the garage door and gone.... $5 in gas lasted all day, and it was all about fun.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
It was likely an ASA sticker ("chrome" with red outline), and NO, you do not have to put it on your sled. That's why they also give you the membership card (which you'll need to carry at all times if you're going without the sticker).

As for which trails need it, I'm not 100% sure, but you can bet that if it's a maintained trail, you'll need it. The Trans Canada Trail, you DEFINITELY need it. As well as the Iron Horse Trail.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
X-treme is right, more than likely your ASA pass and maybe a "Calgary Snowmobile Club" decal as well.I personally DO put my ASA pass on my sled, but I'm also a rarity. I push people hard to buy the passes and proudly support the clubs I'm a part of, so I put mine on my windshield every year.MOST of the trails in Alberta if they are or are not groomed will require a trail pass, and lots of them have signs that say "Trail Passes Required", use the card for when you attend poker rally's, show them the number on the card, it is the same number that is on your trail pass.

Reaction score
It was likely an ASA sticker ("chrome" with red outline), and NO, you do not have to put it on your sled. That's why they also give you the membership card (which you'll need to carry at all times if you're going without the sticker).

As for which trails need it, I'm not 100% sure, but you can bet that if it's a maintained trail, you'll need it. The Trans Canada Trail, you DEFINITELY need it. As well as the Iron Horse Trail.

I was under the impression they were not required at Cataract Creek... ? I've never heard of Trans Canada Trail... is that a sled trail? That sounds good, where do I get on there! lol (more i learn, less I know).

So I should put my club card in my wallet then? Or possibly bag on the front my sled? But who would ever stop and ask to see it, and who says I'd actually stop and talk to anyone without a gun or badge? (Just playing devils advocate.... not trying to be a dink).

Reaction score
X-treme is right, more than likely your ASA pass and maybe a "Calgary Snowmobile Club" decal as well.I personally DO put my ASA pass on my sled, but I'm also a rarity. I push people hard to buy the passes and proudly support the clubs I'm a part of, so I put mine on my windshield every year.MOST of the trails in Alberta if they are or are not groomed will require a trail pass, and lots of them have signs that say "Trail Passes Required", use the card for when you attend poker rally's, show them the number on the card, it is the same number that is on your trail pass.

Wow thanks for that. So I went to Cataract creek ... hmm 5 or 6 times in the last couple of years without being a member. I did not notice anything that said I had to be. No one asked me if I was... I wasn't trying to "get away" with anything or avoid doing my share, I was just completely unaware. I have heard of poker rally', and I love poker but doubt I'd ever go in one. (unsure)

Reaction score
What do people do when they go to BC for the weekend.... do they join clubs in every province? Or are out-of-province club memberships honored? How does that work?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I keep my card in a zip lock baggie with my insurance and registration in my handlebar bag.

The Trans Canada Trail is North of Edmonton and you can ALMOST sleds across Canada on it (there's some missing parts and pieces). I believe that it's complete from the Smoky Lake area all the way east.

I'm not sure who is in charge of checking trail passes, but I'm not a fan of being known as one of "those guys", and I have nothing to hide, and am fully papered up, so if someone stops me, I will certainly stop. Perhaps it's someone in trouble that needs help. If it's someone trying to jack me, then I guess my "kindness" may be a hindrance in that situation.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
What do people do when they go to BC for the weekend.... do they join clubs in every province? Or are out-of-province club memberships honored? How does that work?
In BC, you can buy a yearly club membership or daily trail passes. At most of the organized mountain areas there is a booth set up where they check for and sell passes.

Reaction score
I keep my card in a zip lock baggie with my insurance and registration in my handlebar bag.

The Trans Canada Trail is North of Edmonton and you can ALMOST sleds across Canada on it (there's some missing parts and pieces). I believe that it's complete from the Smoky Lake area all the way east.

I'm not sure who is in charge of checking trail passes, but I'm not a fan of being known as one of "those guys", and I have nothing to hide, and am fully papered up, so if someone stops me, I will certainly stop. Perhaps it's someone in trouble that needs help. If it's someone trying to jack me, then I guess my "kindness" may be a hindrance in that situation.

That's what I will do as well then. Thanks man. I had not heard of trans Canada trail... My bucket list just had it's first entry.... maybe next year.

I didn't mean I wouldn't stop. Anyone I've encountered out there has been friendly, even fun (a few drag races in the open fields for ****s and giggles). I just meant that there is nothing "official" forcing me to stop... so what good would the sticker or card be. (again was only being devils advocate).

I don't want to be "that guy" either.... which is why I joined and now have a million questions about etiquette and the like. If they sent me a patch instead of a sticker, I'd happily sew it to my onesie.... then it would accumulate patches over the years and look cool too! lol

Appreciate it.

Reactions: PDQ

Reaction score
In BC, you can buy a yearly club membership or daily trail passes. At most of the organized mountain areas there is a booth set up where they check for and sell passes.

Fair enough... what can someone expect to pay for a day pass? $10? $125? (ballpark is fine, no need to calculate pst and gst lol)

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is my knowledge that any club maintained trail that crosses through PRIVATE land requires an A.S.A. trail pass - yearly or daily - or the club representative can legally kick you off the trail. If the club maintained trail is 100% on public land, the government of Alberta does not allow clubs to collect trail fees (I am speaking here of Cataract Creek and the trail system on public land just south of Grande Prairie). Now, I - for one - believe in the aims of the conscientious snowmobilers trying to make it safe and be responsible to society as a whole. I buy my trial pass not because I have to, but because I like trials that I do not have to clear when I ride, are groomed - where possible if the funding is available, and support responsible operation of a motor vehicle.
Wow thanks for that. So I went to Cataract creek ... hmm 5 or 6 times in the last couple of years without being a member. I did not notice anything that said I had to be. No one asked me if I was... I wasn't trying to "get away" with anything or avoid doing my share, I was just completely unaware. I have heard of poker rally', and I love poker but doubt I'd ever go in one. (unsure)

Reaction score
Fair enough... what can someone expect to pay for a day pass? $10? $125? (ballpark is fine, no need to calculate pst and gst lol)

I am also asking a lot of questions because I sold my old sled to my sister-in-law, and now my brother-in-law just bought two sleds for his family. So I guess us buying a couple Skidoos got everyone in the family interested, and I'd like to be useful or have some information for them. Possibly urge them to buy memberships or maybe even buy them for them as Xmas presents.... they are reasonable enough, price-wise.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just do a search for the area I am interested to see if there is a club associated with it. For example at Atlas I found looks like Atlas is covered by your ASA pass, so you can ride there. You can also buy a day pass if you didn't have a yearly pass, and they have a list of local businesses that sell them.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ ASA trail pass is good for whole province of Alberta.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the CrowSnow Riders club still active? Nothing on their website since March 2015.

Top Bottom