Snow?

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well where is the snow Im sure a few people are asking? I guess the bigger question is do they have any yet at Cataract/Fording areas

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Have been wondering myself.Was surprised no one had put anything up about cataract.Was thinking about taking a drive out there to see how the snow is.With the sled in the box of cource.Make a little ride up skyline or something.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think there is snow there? or enough to ride? post pics please... LOL watch it be just loaded there

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i have time on friday but got to be back in city buy 5. If i drive out there and see snow i would wana go for a rip.But i dont have someone to go with, i dont like going far from the truck buy myself.

Reaction score
Keep us posted on conditions, would be nice to go for road ride on Sunday to get some more miles on the sled

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
I was just talking to my riding partner about where we could find snow.....If anyone heads out to cataract, let us know what you find.....Lets hope we don't start the whole thread about when its ok to ride up there...ooops...I take it back.....

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the snow. I would like to put a couple of miles on the ETEC before heading out to Golden next weekend. I was out there last Friday and there was no snow to speak of at either staging area but the further south you went the deeper the snow got. There was almost 6" of snow on the road at Coleman and it's snowed quite a bit since then.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever staged at or near Racehorse / Dutch Creek and climbed west? If so, what's the terrain and any suggestions or recommendations for a day ride when the snow gets here?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the area fairly well, You really only have a few options.
1. Ride the network of trails in the area ( can be difficult if there is low snow conditions as the "summer" traffic makes the trails quite rough). This is a good option if traveling with young kids, young\newbie riders; but a high horse powered mountain sled is a waste.
2. Ride out the end of the Dutch creek RD, it turns into the Atlas road and bends to the south, and you are at the north end of the Crowsnest\Atlas trail system, you can ride into all the bowls from there. Can be real good if there's good snow, but it would almost be quicker to drive right to the Pass and stage at Allison...?
3. Ride out the end of Dutch creek RD, and turn north at the bend, follow your way to the North Fork Pass trail and head west. We used to do this lots in the past, but I'll be honest, I haven't been that way for quite a few years. You end up at the north end of the Alexander Creek area in BC, lots of good bowls.

Have any of you guys ever staged at or near Racehorse / Dutch Creek and climbed west? If so, what's the terrain and any suggestions or recommendations for a day ride when the snow gets here?

Skyhigh

Reaction score
I know the area fairly well, You really only have a few options.
1. Ride the network of trails in the area ( can be difficult if there is low snow conditions as the "summer" traffic makes the trails quite rough). This is a good option if traveling with young kids, young\newbie riders; but a high horse powered mountain sled is a waste.
2. Ride out the end of the Dutch creek RD, it turns into the Atlas road and bends to the south, and you are at the north end of the Crowsnest\Atlas trail system, you can ride into all the bowls from there. Can be real good if there's good snow, but it would almost be quicker to drive right to the Pass and stage at Allison...?
3. Ride out the end of Dutch creek RD, and turn north at the bend, follow your way to the North Fork Pass trail and head west. We used to do this lots in the past, but I'll be honest, I haven't been that way for quite a few years. You end up at the north end of the Alexander Creek area in BC, lots of good bowls.
What about sledding up on Sugarloaf? I would imagine if there was snow it would be good sledding up there. Quadded up there lots just never sledded it.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what your expectations are. Is it going to be Revy? Not on your life! Could it be good? Possibly with the right snow, but if your into some powder riding you'd be better off in the bowls closer to the "High Rocks". We used to ride in southern Alberta exclusively 20-30 years ago. From Etherington all the way down to Castle Mtn, but as sleds have got better over the years, we have migrated to BC. It didn't take much of a bowl/meadow (or much powder)to have fun when an '81 Tiger was "king of the Hill", but those bowls now aren't much fun unless it's super deep!

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what your expectations are. Is it going to be Revy? Not on your life! Could it be good? Possibly with the right snow, but if your into some powder riding you'd be better off in the bowls closer to the "High Rocks". We used to ride in southern Alberta exclusively 20-30 years ago. From Etherington all the way down to Castle Mtn, but as sleds have got better over the years, we have migrated to BC. It didn't take much of a bowl/meadow (or much powder)to have fun when an '81 Tiger was "king of the Hill", but those bowls now aren't much fun unless it's super deep!

isnt that the truth

Top Bottom