Snow Trail Groomer Pictures

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
......and a huge thank you to the Resort Municipality Fund. Some of you might have seen her delivered during the holidays. She is working now on Boulder. :d

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now the groomers are out on the trails let's see some more groomers:):):)

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Groomer.jpg

Cool pic from a few years ago in Whitecourt - sure wish we had that kind of snow here this year.:(:(:(

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
groomer cabin.jpg

Shot from last week, tried grooming - not much snow, notice the snirt (snow/dirt) on the blade.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious are these groomers using a cutter head type thing? i know some of the mountain areas i ride at dont have a cutter head so the same bumps just show up the next day.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious are these groomers using a cutter head type thing? i know some of the mountain areas i ride at dont have a cutter head so the same bumps just show up the next day.

No cutter head on ours but if the blades are set correctly on the skid, should leave the trail nice and smooth. There are a few sets of blades that cut the bumps down but they need to be adjusted as they wear down.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maxwell those are Tiller groomers mostly used on ski hills. Dont work to good for sled trails. You need multi-angled cutter blades with a packing pan. With the multi-blades drags it cuts the mogul down and moves the snow around and then lays it down in a smooth packed surface. This surface needs some hours to freeze up and set-up. That is why they groom at night so it doesn`t get disturbed for a few hours. When trails have a constant problem of pounding out right away it show that the groomer operator isnt cutting deep enough or there is unstable snow underneath. When mountain areas get a big dump its hard to groom right because that snow doesnt get packed right. In some places the opertaor will blade off the new snow to get down to the hard packed surface underneath. hard to remove the snow down low alitudes but up high has been done before. Les that has groomed McBride before has done this and I asked him why and he told me.
There grooming as I know it. Not much easier said than done though. Slow steady work but someone is appreciated for doing it.

Thanks groomer operators

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Maxwell those are Tiller groomers mostly used on ski hills. Dont work to good for sled trails. You need multi-angled cutter blades with a packing pan. With the multi-blades drags it cuts the mogul down and moves the snow around and then lays it down in a smooth packed surface. This surface needs some hours to freeze up and set-up. That is why they groom at night so it doesn`t get disturbed for a few hours. When trails have a constant problem of pounding out right away it show that the groomer operator isnt cutting deep enough or there is unstable snow underneath. When mountain areas get a big dump its hard to groom right because that snow doesnt get packed right. In some places the opertaor will blade off the new snow to get down to the hard packed surface underneath. hard to remove the snow down low alitudes but up high has been done before. Les that has groomed McBride before has done this and I asked him why and he told me.
There grooming as I know it. Not much easier said than done though. Slow steady work but someone is appreciated for doing it.

Thanks groomer operators

Further to the above, there needs to be some moisture in the snow. As the snow goes through the blades on the mogul masher it is filled with air and the sharp points are broken off and the action (the snow actually goes in two S patterns on each side of the drag) causes friction which in turn causes heat and that is also required for the snow to set up. Sledderglen is correct regarding grooming at night for two reasons; it is colder and the heated snow freezes (sets up) and the second reason is that there are not a lot of sleds, at least in the mountains, that disturb the snow before it sets up.

The more sleds that use the trail the rougher it gets no matter how well it is groomed. The snow cannot hold up to the pounding. Concrete and ashpalt are good for roads as the medium is strong. Gravel is weaker and snow is weaker still hence rough gravel roads and trails.

We have been grooming Coal Creek/Morrissey twice a week in Fernie this year
and the trail has stood up much better than in the past. We use the blade also to roll the snow (arreation and heat) before it goes into the drag resulting in even better results.

Grooming snowmobile trails has to do with snow science (temperature, moisture, air, rolling, and compaction) and it is not like moving dirt.

lil734goat

Reaction score
Thnxs to all who groom Will be up to fernie and revy soon to enjoy your trails Pleased post where to give my money to So you guys keep up the grooming:d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thnxs to all who groom Will be up to fernie and revy soon to enjoy your trails Pleased post where to give my money to So you guys keep up the grooming:d

If you're riding in Fernie the girls are out Fri, Sat and Sun. at Coal Creek and Morrissey. Otherwise, trail passes are available at Ghostrider Motorsports.

One of these days we'll have a little shed out there with a heater and the girls will think they've died and gone to heaven!!

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spruce Grove Trail Seekers - Snow Trail Groomer Pictures

Was out at the Spruce Grove / Stony Plain Trail Seekers Poker Rally on February 6, 2010 and spotted their BR275 Groomer and drag
SPECS:
2001 or 2002 Bombardier BR275 (275 HP) Groomer - nice....
--- 14' 12 way front blade
--- 12' wide with 66' semetric cleated tracks
--- Arm rest steering - (electric over hydraulic)

2005 - Mogul Master Drag
--- MBP 18 -09 (18 feet long by 9' wide)
--- A frame hitch
--- 11 cutter blades and packing pan.
--- Complete with a sled deck.

Now that is a beautiful Machine....

Attachments

• 20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0003.jpg
    20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0003.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0005.jpg
    20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0005.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0004.jpg
    20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0004.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0006.jpg
    20100205-_TrailSeekerRally-0006.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 226

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do not have any new 2010-11 season GROOMER PICTURES yet

Lets snap some pictures of your clubs groomers and get them posted for all to see!!!

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple pictures from about two weeks ago. Whitecourt Trailblazers groomer.
BR 400 Plus 1995 pulling Mogul Master drag. About 420 KMs of trail. Filling in a creek crossing and stuck on a hill.

Attachments

• DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00480.jpg
    DSC00480.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 156
Top Bottom