Snow plow for a side by side questions

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about putting a snow plow on our ranger. Any advice on which ones to look at? Or is a guy better off putting that money towards something better for moving snow? Just wondering if they work ok, or are they too light duty?

avenge95

Reaction score
We have the Polaris Glacier II on our 2012 RZR 800. Works great! It goes on and off in 15 sec. so we can go riding. Never had an issue pushing lots of snow with it either. Your ranger would be even better suited for plowing. How much snow do you need to move?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the Polaris Glacier II on our 2012 RZR 800. Works great! It goes on and off in 15 sec. so we can go riding. Never had an issue pushing lots of snow with it either. Your ranger would be even better suited for plowing. How much snow do you need to move?

Quite a bit. Our driveway is about 600 feet long, and then we have about a 100x100 parking area.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing with plowing snow vs throwing snow is having a place to put it. Make sure when you plow at the start of the winter you plow past the edges of your driveway or it will get smaller and smaller every time. I've only plowed with a quad but once a windrow sets up its pretty much there for the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard the polaris systems work well but holy cow are they expensive. Wondering if any of the aftermarket ones are decent. But if a guy is spending 5k getting set up, I think that money would be better put towards a small skid steer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a warn plow for the ranger, works good, well made and less money than the Polaris setup. as mentioned, plow way past your drive area as when the snow sets up you will be hooped. I plow about 400 ft of driveway, and about an acre and a half parking space for trailers and vehicles, no problems if I don't let the snow set up

avenge95

Reaction score
Ive heard the polaris systems work well but holy cow are they expensive. Wondering if any of the aftermarket ones are decent. But if a guy is spending 5k getting set up, I think that money would be better put towards a small skid steer.

Didn't think the Polaris one was that much. I think I paid $350.00 for the blade and $180.00 for the mount. That was a couple years ago. Ofcorse I already have a winch. I have seen way more expensive systems out there.

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
Polaris Glacier System $1,169.97
Eagle Plow System $1,073.00

These are our best sellers for the UTV's. These prices do not include a winch (assuming you already have one) and these prices are before tax. This is for the mount, push tube and 72" blade. Keep in mind 72" inches is the blade you'll want. Anything under 72" wont be wide enough to move all the snow from in front of your machine and will leave a ridge you'll be driving over. The Glacier system is definitely the more convenient of the two being quick attach/detach.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of tires work best for plowing snow? I still have the stockers on and they are worn down to nothing.

avenge95

Reaction score
I've been using Zilla's for the past couple of years and they have been working just fine. When I had a plow on our 2005 Sportsman ATV we had just the stockers and they didn't like the deep snow too well.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What kind of tires work best for plowing snow? I still have the stockers on and they are worn down to nothing.

I thought you guys in Creston just waited for the snow to melt, hehehehehe

Good advice above Dean. The 72" would be great. I bought my plow in 2005 for my new Sportsman and it has served us well and hindsight tells me the 48" plow sucks. Yes, push the snow out of the way the first time and them just keep piling it up on top. I don't think that much snow hangs around in Creston but I haven't really been there much in the winter. You may need chains! Sounds kind of funny with all that power but when there is a heavy wet snowfall chains are required (just the rear tires), IMHO. If you are pushing snow from gravel, be careful and try real hard to leave the gravel on the driveway as it is a pita hand picking it out of the grass in preparation for mowing in the summer.

IMG_0940.jpg

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are pushing snow from gravel, be careful and try real hard to leave the gravel on the driveway as it is a pita hand picking it out of the grass in preparation for mowing in the summer.
Grrrrrr....yes. STILL picking rocks off the grass. Even after a marathon rake/shovel session in the spring....

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am definitely putting a plow on the old ranger and putting on some STI roctanes. Any advice on which plow system to put on? Do any stand out as alot better or worse....or are they pretty even across the board?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a moose brand plow, I would not recommend one for a SxS lightweight, flimsy on a ranger. The warn plow I got from recreation rec in Edmonton is way less money than the Polaris plow, was built strong, have hit ice ,rocks etc no problems, goes on and off easy, you can convert it to a bucket for moving dirt etc. it is heavy which is what you want, parts are available, andbest of all

you don't have to pay polaris tax. think the system was $8 -$900. I have been happy with it so far! third winter coming up.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to buy a plow and tires? Just wondering if there are any deals to be had, or if they are pretty much the same everywhere.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just saying, a set of rear chains are maybe $100.

My tires really are hooped. Super smooth and starting to lose air fairly consistently.

Are the polaris plows just as good as the warn but just more expensive? The local dealer said he would give me 20% off which sounds like it will bring me close to the other systems.

Top Bottom