Snow ingestion??

Justin

Reaction score
So, BRP put in a new motor in my 09' XP 800 about 200km ago. Managed to get 2 trips out to Mcbride and lost compression in PTO cylinder, rode it out and took it to dealer.
They are now saying the air box is wet, so it took in snow and damaged the cylinder as per a scope through the plug hole, now I have to pay a couple hours labour so they can tear it down and inspect to see if it was a mechanical failure, but it seems as though they have made up there mind. They said it has been a common problem for XP's, weird we have three in our group and never a problem before this new engine, and I have 2800km on mine alone.
Anyone hear of this snow ingestion problem before? What do I doo?

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
I've never heard of an xp having that problem and i've owned 3 of them. All the guys I ride with own them and they have never had that problem either. Let us know how this all pans out. Good luck!

Justin

Reaction score
So just got the call back, they say SOL because snow got in the intake and boiled away the nickacel(sp) coating. No engine codes, no overheating! They said the snow is funny this year, HA.

So be careful where you ride your mountain sled, stay out of the pow pow!
LOL!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 07 rev 800r had that problem.... brp dealership said it was snow dust.... after 3 sets of warranty pistions-cylinders they found out the bottom end was cracked and suckin coolant and fuging the pistions and cylinders

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
So just got the call back, they say SOL because snow got in the intake and boiled away to nickacel(sp) coating. No engine codes, no overheating! They said the snow is funny this year, HA.

So be careful where you ride your mountain sled, stay out of the pow pow!
LOL!

Are you f'ing kidding me? WTF on that one! The snow if funny this year? I would make some noise with BRP on this one. That is totally unacceptable.

d-unit

Reaction score
thats redonculous. The only thing i would say is change your prefilter from that foam one to the 08 style or different mod if you havent already. pretty easy for snow to get in the stock 09 setup.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked nickelsil isn't water soluble? I call BS!

I searched nickelsil and found a whole bunch of questions about injecting water/methanol into motors with nickelsil and I have not one that had a failure from injecting it so how can "snow dust"

Found a quote BRP might need to look at
"nickelsil is a very hard coating and the only failures I`ve seen are from 2strokes with the piston/rings letting go"

Lets get some pics on here and there is enough builders on here to get a common opinion to take to them!

I'll bet my pay check there is more wrong with that cylinder then just the plating coming off! I'd guess something hard has scratched it, like ring/locator pin/piston skirt/etc

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats redonculous. The only thing i would say is change your prefilter from that foam one to the 08 style or different mod if you havent already. pretty easy for snow to get in the stock 09 setup.

as long as its in place i dont see it ever getting snow past it.

another question

the "lower airbox" is gigantic and has a large amount of volume BELOW the intake.

would snow particles that magically got past not sink into this zone?

yes the suction at the back of the carbs is alot but at the fresh air intake it is almost nothing.

i would suggest contacting brp directly. if your sled is in fact still on warranty i dont see why this cant be dealt with

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great idea I know Justin he did that last year! Just for that reason. Its had a 08 prefilter this whole motor!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked nickelsil isn't water soluble? I call BS!

I searched nickelsil and found a whole bunch of questions about injecting water/methanol into motors with nickelsil and I have not one that had a failure from injecting it so how can "snow dust"

Found a quote BRP might need to look at
"nickelsil is a very hard coating and the only failures I`ve seen are from 2strokes with the piston/rings letting go"

Lets get some pics on here and there is enough builders on here to get a common opinion to take to them!

I'll bet my pay check there is more wrong with that cylinder then just the plating coming off! I'd guess something hard has scratched it, like ring/locator pin/piston skirt/etc

LOL exactly.

any bit of snowdust isnt going to harm that engine.

what about the summit i sunk under water for 24 hours fired back up and is running to this day with 2500+ miles?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL exactly.

any bit of snowdust isnt going to harm that engine.

what about the summit i sunk under water for 24 hours fired back up and is running to this day with 2500+ miles?

I used to have a Jetski that I sunk at least once a year if not more never had plating come off? Used to pull the spark plugs out and crank the starter the water would shoot 10 feet high. Crank it till the water stopped coming out and swap plugs til she fires. That is 10000 times more water than "snow dust" or the more technical "FUNNY SNOW"

Justin

Reaction score
Ya, I swapped out the foam maxi pad filter for the 08' screen when I bought the sled. Never had a problem with snow.
Dealer called and it's in BRP's hands on Monday, I guess I will just cross my fingers till then.
Hopefully BRP see's the light, and hears how stupid there diagnosis sounds.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had my sled underwater for 3 months before i could retrieve it and i have been driving it since jan no problems. maybe its not made for snow it definatley isnt a submarine either.lol

Top Bottom