Snow and water sled?

jawehner1419

Reaction score
So I'm gonna pick up a 1994 Polaris efi Indy 500 some time soon. Annnnnd since summer is coming up I still wanna use it. But I still wanna use it in the snow. So. I know some things about water skippers and I know ported tracks are a no no. I need to seal the belt/clutch assembly. Seal any seams. Remove oil injection, but I would like to know why that's an issue for water skipping? Weight? And remove the seat. But somewhere they were sayin that you needed to mod the front suspension for when water skipping, at least if you wanna go very far? Is that necessary? I'm not gonna be a hardcore water skipper, just some at a lake now and then and maybe at a river once or twice. So, my questions are, is modding the front suspension necessary, and did I miss any simple thing to do for water skipping?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Remove your seat, and dielectric grease everything. Most guys like to have the narrowest front suspension with slugged shocks, with the front end sucked up like a drag sled, you want as little to touch the water, remove the limiter straps, drop the rear suspension down and run Antistsb kit, if you have a 121" find a 136" and drop the skid down. Also good idea to run a small fuel tank like a jerry can With a check valve breather, sinking it in the water big headache when your fuel tank isn't sealed hippies will be all over you. Having your stock fuel tank empty and full of air might help it float too lol

Tie a 4l milk jug on a piece of bale twine and to the handlebars so when you sink her down you can find it easy.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hire a consultant from Cuba....they seem to know how to make things float on water that aren't suppose to.....just sayin!!

Looks like it would be a blast from videos I've seen.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to check with fish & feathers (conservation officers) before you go skipping, at least on public lakes & rivers. I believe there are fines involved if you are caught water skipping on lakes, rivers, creeks, etc. In the past, I've had to cross open water during spring riding when heading back to the truck (river opened up while up in the alpine). Steady throttle control and a "light" front end will get you across.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day we would water skip in the fields on the run off pools. It was great fun. Take a trouble light and put under the hood and you will see the light where it needs to be sealed. And keep it wide open! Some sleds go really good on water! I even water skipped my Banshee, tried my kx250 but it was a lot harder and I got real wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom