Snow and Mudders, fight the caribou!….closures.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Signed, thanks Tam for getting this rolling! Only a few ever get things like this going, but many will follow!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don,t get me wrong I,m on your side and I will sign,but if you really want to beat this then you have to know who,what your fighing and why these areas are being closed.I,ve had to deal with this in alberta and as things stand good luck.But you do have my support

Agree…which is why we're doing this. To learn the who, what and why…sitting back on our asses does nothing, that I do know. Appreciate your support. And if you have anything to offer, clubs always looking for proactive people with ideas. :)

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amazing work so far fellow Snow and Mudders! Thank you!!! :beer:

Please keep the support…ie signatures coming. :D Please if you can, spread this to your sledder friends, let's get the numbers we need to make change. There are some very good, knowledgable and giving people pushing for power sports recreation right now in BC, we have the best team we could ask for in proactive members who CAN make a difference. Talks are scheduled and meetings are happening…the only thing that's required is the support of the group we represent saying they want us to act on their behalf. That's you. :D

Again, thanks from BCSF and our ABCSnow friends…you give us the support to make sh$T happen and we will, this can't be done alone. Time has come to work together!
:sled1:

NORDIC

Reaction score
624 as per today, lets get this information out. I want my kids to be able to sled in BC one day as well. Lets get more peeps to get on board

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why the enviro's use the reason "snowmobiles leave a hard packed trail that allows predators of caribou to easily hunt them". Don't you think the caribou would use these same hard pack trails to run away from wolves? Think about it, if their thinking was true then caribou would have been wiped out long ago during the summer when all the ground is free of snow and "hard packed" :D

Really doesn't matter what we say, the eco nuts want motorized recreation in the back country stopped all together and I'm pretty sure that none of the scientists studying caribou ride snowmobile. Might be worth it to do a study on how many of them back country ski/snowshoe vs motorized recreation. Maybe just a bit of bias when they do their studies?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why the enviro's use the reason "snowmobiles leave a hard packed trail that allows predators of caribou to easily hunt them". Don't you think the caribou would use these same hard pack trails to run away from wolves? Think about it, if their thinking was true then caribou would have been wiped out long ago during the summer when all the ground is free of snow and "hard packed" :D

In fact that IS when Mountain Caribou die. They don't die in the winter, they get eaten in the spring and summer. Of course Enviro's will never quote the actual scientific data, 'cuz it doesn't say what they want to hear.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone might get this that signed, but here's the response thus far. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to vote and make valuable comments :)

March 19, 2014

Re: Recovery Strategy for the Woodland Caribou, Southern Mountain population (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in Canada.

Dear supporters of the change.org petition, "Complete a comprehensive unbiased impact study on the interactions between Snowmobiles and Mountain Caribou".

Thank you for taking the time to add your name to the petition started by the BC Snowmobile Federation, and for providing your thoughtful and obviously sincere perspectives on the issue. The petition closed with 668 supporters and almost as many comments, the majority of which were very constructive.

The public comment period for this proposed recovery strategy ended yesterday and Environment Canada will release a final version on or before April 17th, 2014. The Species at Risk Act (SARA) allows the federal Minister of the Environment to amend that final version at any time.

Your comments and input will be considered in preparing the final version of the recovery strategy, particularly in Section 4 (Threats), and 6 (Broad Strategies and General Approaches to Meet Objectives).

The BC Snowmobile Federation will be advised of the posting of the final version, along with a description of changes that were made from the proposed version. If I am able to, I will also post a notification here as well.

Recovery of Southern Mountain Caribou will require cooperation between the Government of Canada and provincial governments, Aboriginal governments, resource users, and all sectors of the public, and we look forward to further engagement with recreationalists to find the best solutions.

Sincere regards,
Stephen Hureau
Head, Species at Risk Recovery Unit
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada

Top Bottom