Snow and Mud kids ride

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Regs say we MUST carry our insurance card (proof of insurance) and the plate must be prominantly diplayed. I havent seen a plate on a sled since I left SK LOL

I carry the plates and insurance cards (which are also proof of ownership) under the seat of each of the sleds. We have never been stopped while riding, but we have met the friendly Fish and Wildlife dudes at the staging areas.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here in bc if I get insurance and my 9 year old is driving it, the insurance is void (I read the small (very small lol) print. have to be 16!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
here in bc if I get insurance and my 9 year old is driving it, the insurance is void (I read the small (very small lol) print. have to be 16!

Man, that sucks...friggen gov and beauracrats!

Thats like saying you have house insurance but if your kid is playing with matches and the house burns down there is no coverage since the kid shouldnt have been smoking LOL

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definately be interested in a family ride. My 13 yr old boy would love it. Lets try to figure out a where and when!!! :d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kids under 14 can ride the trails in Alberta as long as they are supervised by (riding with) an adult. Families do it all the time, we have 8 and 10 yrear olds riding in poker rallies. You have to have proof of valid insurance, no-one reads your policy. Nobody is going to bother you (cops or SRD guys) if you have a plate and ins and a trail pass unless you are doing something stupid like riding where you shouldn't or drunk, etc.

this is a great idea! i found this about kids and the law for the riding in alberta, i was also told today by a client that it can be upwards of a $5000.00 fine for no insurance! and kids under 14 can not ride on trails on there own machine if you are caught you can be fined.so you all should come to sicamous with us or even revy!!!
Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

In a Public Place:

*The rider must have a properly registered and insured machine.
* The driver must be at least 14 years of age to operate a machine independently.
* A person younger than 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult, or supervised closely while receiving instruction.
An operator of a snowmobile must produce insurance and registration when requested to do so by an enforcement or peace officer.

On Private Land
- Ensure you ask permission before entering

* You do not need a driver’s licence, registration or insurance if you are riding on land you own or have acquired the right to access.
* There is no age requirement when riding on private land that you own or have established the right to access.
* Entering without permission makes you a trespasser: Petty Trespass Act (June 1, 2004 Amendment)
* Previously, a property owner had to appear before a justice of the peace in order to lay charges. Now, a peace officer can issue a ticket in the amount of $250, and the alleged trespasser may then either voluntarily pay the fine or set a date to appear in court to dispute the charge or amount of the fine.
* In more serious incidents of trespass, in either case, the maximum fine available is $2,000 (from $100) for a first offence.
* When a person is charged with a second or subsequent offence with respect to the same property the person is required to appear before a justice without the alternative of making a voluntary payment. The maximum penalty is $5,000.

Insurance is required on public property.
* To be properly insured, you must have a minimum coverage of $200,000 public liability and property damage.
* A $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance is commonly carried.
Know the registration rules.
* Registration papers may be obtained from any licensing and registry agent.
* The minimum age required to register a snowmobile is 18 years.
* A license plate must be securely attached in a visible location to the front or rear of the snowmobile

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have three girls that would be interested, going to McBride for family day ride Feb 14 at Lucile. Town is totally booked out due to hockey tournament. Still lots of rooms in Valemount and they have pools for at night.:d Maybe see some S&Mers on the hill.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
With regards to the insurance thing.... I insured the little 125 breeze, agent asked me "who is the principal driver" I said "my daughter" she said "how old is she" I said "12" she said "who is the principal driver" I said "I already told..... she said "WHO IS THE PRINCIPAL DRIVER?????" I said "Oh.....ME" she said "very good then, cost is $65 a year I will fax you the pink cards"

So long as the machine is legal and the youth is supervised your good.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Thanks for clearing up the insurance thing guys. That is what I understood, but nice to hear it from others as well.

Family weekend is likely a bad one since most everyone I know has already made plans, but maybe a March date? Location still unknown, but if we could make it work, it would be a blast. I would love to get to meet some of you guys, would be fun!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up the insurance thing guys. That is what I understood, but nice to hear it from others as well.

Family weekend is likely a bad one since most everyone I know has already made plans, but maybe a March date? Location still unknown, but if we could make it work, it would be a blast. I would love to get to meet some of you guys, would be fun!

Well there is another family ride planned for Lucile in late March (21?). Not sure if it is a locals only or if everyone is welcome like for Family Day Feb 14. It's not my party so I'm not inviting everyone but if it's open I would take the family again. Warmer in March and Lucile has play area for all levels of young riders. A "Mini Mountain Mania":d S&Mers could book all the cabins at base of Lucile and Ride from your door, kids could hang out together at night!

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are thinking of a family ride as well in late march. Have 10 yr old boy. was thinking about Valemont, but if Mcbride is an open party let us know and we go there could be alot of fun sitting at bottom watching kids trying to out mark each other!!:d:d:d

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Regs say we MUST carry our insurance card (proof of insurance) and the plate must be prominantly diplayed. I havent seen a plate on a sled since I left SK LOL

I carry the plates and insurance cards (which are also proof of ownership) under the seat of each of the sleds. We have never been stopped while riding, but we have met the friendly Fish and Wildlife dudes at the staging areas.

The only time we have ever been asked for registration and insurance in Alberta for the sleds is at Cataract Creek and by the sounds of it that happens quite often there. If it's still like that probably not the best place for a kids ride. CNP area has never been an issue though.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We have never run into it at CNP either, just one instance at the parking lot, but we wernt even asked that time, he was just visiting...

I called my insurance agent today to verify, and as the others have stated, as long as under 14 are supervised, no problem.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to make it work but looks like we have hockey right untill easter weekend with the Value drug mart tourney in calgary. I hate to miss their games so it looks like only midweek trips left for me this year.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to make it work but looks like we have hockey right untill easter weekend with the Value drug mart tourney in calgary. I hate to miss their games so it looks like only midweek trips left for me this year.

Spring Break for you guys is when? We could do mid-week...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm..... I think they get off april 2nd, then three days for the tourney. So we will be in valemont for a week after that...

Top Bottom