Snow and Mud kids ride

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else would be interested in a ride where our kids could get together for a day or two of riding. I have two boys aged 14 and 12 and they would love to ride with some others their age

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. Have two daughters ( age 9 & 7 ) that like to go out and ride. My oldest daughter started riding her own sled this winter.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I would be super interested, 13 and 14, icky girls (keep your boys away) LOL

Gosh, better not forget the little one, she is 9 and doesnt ride but loves to double or she borrows a 120 that she will run 2-3 tanks of gas a day through.

The WHEN is always the issue...fricken kids are so darn busy. Where are you thinking?

Last edited:

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a great Idea, I have 14 yr old boy and this will be his forth year on his own sled. What about Red Deer area seems to be in the middle. I would have no idea what areas you can ride down there. Just a thought.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a great Idea, I have 14 yr old boy and this will be his forth year on his own sled. What about Red Deer area seems to be in the middle. I would have no idea what areas you can ride down there. Just a thought.

I have an 11 yr old (who is allergic to boys) who would love to do this. I also have some younger girls who would do well if we built a little 120 track. I am close to Rd Deer. Would be happy to help with organizing if we could get a few of us together!!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Red Deer is not totally out of the question, in fact I am there twice in the next while for soccer tourneys. I also dont know the area and what might be available for riding. I know the town well, just not the riding areas. I wonder if there is somewhere to ride around Pine Lake, not too far out of town

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Red Deer is not totally out of the question, in fact I am there twice in the next while for soccer tourneys. I also dont know the area and what might be available for riding. I know the town well, just not the riding areas. I wonder if there is somewhere to ride around Pine Lake, not too far out of town

If we had alot of interest from 'yous guys' who are a little more southern in origin, we could look towards Calgary area too, although I wouldnt even begin to know where to go there. Where is Cattaract Creek and what's the terrain like?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I asked the same question today, and Gascan replied, and it is Kananaskis area. SW of Calgary, that could work too. I have no idea of the terrain, Gascan has some vid on his post, some looks manageable, some looks tame, and some looks challenging LOL

Did that help any?? LOL

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I've got a 15 year old boy(and 18 year old daughter), and he's on an '04 summitx 800 151" and keeps up with us old guys........ Would be interested in some kinda trail ride or something i'm sure, as long as there were some jumps or drifts for him to pound through..... Endless energy, these youngin's.........

Attachments

• P1210029.jpg
    P1210029.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 22

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now i just gotta find a hockey free weekend....Haha as if. They average about 3 games a weekend

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone comes to sicamous next week we will be up blue lake or queest with the kids (boy, girl both 9) we put them in a flat spot or the hill right in front of the cabin at blue lake. they play there all day! they both ride 550 trails with 136x2 track. got to love it when they are having fun. scared to go to alberta to ride because cant get no insurance for them because they are to young. heard the fine is huge!

got to love it when the kids have more fun playing on a hill than the next door kids watching TV all day lol. the kids ride better then most adults on the trails, so I wish we could get insurance and we could come to alberta to ride!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My oldest Has been everywhere with me,holygrail, westridge.Without a doubt the best days of my life.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
if anyone comes to sicamous next week we will be up blue lake or queest with the kids (boy, girl both 9) we put them in a flat spot or the hill right in front of the cabin at blue lake. they play there all day! they both ride 550 trails with 136x2 track. got to love it when they are having fun. scared to go to alberta to ride because cant get no insurance for them because they are to young. heard the fine is huge!

got to love it when the kids have more fun playing on a hill than the next door kids watching TV all day lol. the kids ride better then most adults on the trails, so I wish we could get insurance and we could come to alberta to ride!

I would love to, but its a bit far for me...I am not sure your insurance would be affected (dont take my word of course) but shouldnt it work like a vehicle? If you are legal at home, your insurance should carry to another province? I dont know...I let my 13, and 14 yr old both ride, and i guess I have never worried about the fine and such.

Again, dont take my word on it, just throwin it out there...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cant get insurance here so dont have it!(have to be 16) I heard if you dont have it in alberta on the trails you get a $5000 fine......not going to risk that!

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a great idea! i found this about kids and the law for the riding in alberta, i was also told today by a client that it can be upwards of a $5000.00 fine for no insurance! and kids under 14 can not ride on trails on there own machine if you are caught you can be fined.so you all should come to sicamous with us or even revy!!!
Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

In a Public Place:

*The rider must have a properly registered and insured machine.
* The driver must be at least 14 years of age to operate a machine independently.
* A person younger than 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult, or supervised closely while receiving instruction.
An operator of a snowmobile must produce insurance and registration when requested to do so by an enforcement or peace officer.

On Private Land
- Ensure you ask permission before entering

* You do not need a driver’s licence, registration or insurance if you are riding on land you own or have acquired the right to access.
* There is no age requirement when riding on private land that you own or have established the right to access.
* Entering without permission makes you a trespasser: Petty Trespass Act (June 1, 2004 Amendment)
* Previously, a property owner had to appear before a justice of the peace in order to lay charges. Now, a peace officer can issue a ticket in the amount of $250, and the alleged trespasser may then either voluntarily pay the fine or set a date to appear in court to dispute the charge or amount of the fine.
* In more serious incidents of trespass, in either case, the maximum fine available is $2,000 (from $100) for a first offence.
* When a person is charged with a second or subsequent offence with respect to the same property the person is required to appear before a justice without the alternative of making a voluntary payment. The maximum penalty is $5,000.

Insurance is required on public property.
* To be properly insured, you must have a minimum coverage of $200,000 public liability and property damage.
* A $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance is commonly carried.
Know the registration rules.
* Registration papers may be obtained from any licensing and registry agent.
* The minimum age required to register a snowmobile is 18 years.
* A license plate must be securely attached in a visible location to the front or rear of the snowmobile

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a great idea! i found this about kids and the law for the riding in alberta, i was also told today by a client that it can be upwards of a $5000.00 fine for no insurance! and kids under 14 can not ride on trails on there own machine if you are caught you can be fined.so you all should come to sicamous with us or even revy!!!
Saferoads.com - Vehicle Safety

In a Public Place:

*The rider must have a properly registered and insured machine.
* The driver must be at least 14 years of age to operate a machine independently.
* A person younger than 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult, or supervised closely while receiving instruction.
An operator of a snowmobile must produce insurance and registration when requested to do so by an enforcement or peace officer.

On Private Land
- Ensure you ask permission before entering

* You do not need a driver’s licence, registration or insurance if you are riding on land you own or have acquired the right to access.
* There is no age requirement when riding on private land that you own or have established the right to access.
* Entering without permission makes you a trespasser: Petty Trespass Act (June 1, 2004 Amendment)
* Previously, a property owner had to appear before a justice of the peace in order to lay charges. Now, a peace officer can issue a ticket in the amount of $250, and the alleged trespasser may then either voluntarily pay the fine or set a date to appear in court to dispute the charge or amount of the fine.
* In more serious incidents of trespass, in either case, the maximum fine available is $2,000 (from $100) for a first offence.
* When a person is charged with a second or subsequent offence with respect to the same property the person is required to appear before a justice without the alternative of making a voluntary payment. The maximum penalty is $5,000.

Insurance is required on public property.
* To be properly insured, you must have a minimum coverage of $200,000 public liability and property damage.
* A $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance is commonly carried.
Know the registration rules.
* Registration papers may be obtained from any licensing and registry agent.
* The minimum age required to register a snowmobile is 18 years.
* A license plate must be securely attached in a visible location to the front or rear of the snowmobile

ya, what she said! LOL x2

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Yep, same info we follow...

My kids when riding are being supervised by ME...All mine are insured to my and by me, and it doesnt matter who is riding mine or what age they are, insurance is still valid. As far as a 5K ticket, I have never heard of that. Worst we could receive would be operating a vehicle without a license and a snowmobile in Alberta is considered and off road vehicle, which you dont NEED a licesnse for, so honestly I dont believe there is ANY fine, but hey Ive been wrong before.

Ok just checked the regs, and we can be following a kid under 14 no problem. If you DONT supervise (follow) a child under 14 the fine is $115

this is copied from the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Act:

Section Offence Current Penalty Previous Penalty
2(1) Person < 14 years drive off-highway vehicle on highway 115 / YOA YOA
2(2)(a)
Person < 14 years drive off-highway vehicle on public
property without supervision by person occupying
passenger seat of off-highway vehicle in / on motor
vehicle travelling in close proximity to off-highway vehicle 115 YOA
2(2)(b)
Person < 14 years supervising underage driver of offhighway
vehicle 115 YOA
2(3)