smoking atv

bill5799

Reaction score
my suzuki 250 quad runner has recently started smoking from the exhaust. I use it to plow snow this time of year. It starts up fine and runs good until it warms up, maybe10 mins or so. Then it will just stop and white-gray smoke comes from the tail pipe. After cranking it a bit it will start but won't take power and large amouts of smoke will come out. After it cools off for a period of time it will start up and run fine for awhile and then do the same thing. HELP:confused:

jaredvh

Reaction score
I would imagine that the rings are going/gone and when it gets some temperature everything expands and it starts burning oil and loses compression. Somebody wlse will chime in tho I'm sure.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it liquid cooled, white smoke usually means coolant in the cylinder.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is your compression? do you hear the valves tapping?have you checked the oil? if you have checked the compression and the valves and the oil I would check the oil pressure. I'm almost thinking it doesn't have enough oil pressure and the white smoke is your cylinder wall coating being burnt off. Hope not good luck and let us no what you have found out.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crisscross1, I think your a little confused on the inner workings of a four cycle engine. Oil pressure and cylinder wall coating being burnt off? No relation.

Top Bottom