Smoked Tail Lights

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a black 04 Tundra and want to smoke the tail lights and third brake light on it. I don't want them pure black, I just want them darkened a little. Probably only about a 15% tint.

Just wondering if anyone has this modification on their truck. And also, where would be the best place in Edmonton to get it done? Pictures would be much appreciated!!:d

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Is that even legal.I wouln't want to make myself less visible.Does that look "cool" or why would you do it?Sorry not trying to be rude,just can't think of any reason someone would want to make their lights darker.:confused:

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
I just bought a black 04 Tundra and want to smoke the tail lights and third brake light on it. I don't want them pure black, I just want them darkened a little. Probably only about a 15% tint.

Just wondering if anyone has this modification on their truck. And also, where would be the best place in Edmonton to get it done? Pictures would be much appreciated!!:d

I can help u......I just did mine the other night....very easy
Go to a autobody shop or somewhere that would sell spray paint, buy 2 cans of tint in a can (just ask, they should know what u r talking about) and a can of GOOD clear coat, then:
-Take the tail lights off the truck
-Wash with soap to remove any grease
-Tape off the backup light area
-Sand with 400 grit
-Wipe them down real good
-Spray with the tint X2
-Wetsand with 1500 grit
-Spray with the clear X2
-Then a coat of wax

This is what I did, but i think the 2 coats of tint was a bit much for the tail lights, they r really hard to see the light in the daylight!!! But am very happy with the end result, expecially the thirf break light!!!
MAKE SURE u take your time taping....or it will look like chit!!!!! All I used was that green tape u would use if u would paint the walls in your house, and some duct tape. worked good, but becareful when u r sanding of the edge of the tape, it may want to peel
If u need more help or info, pm me or post it on here
GOOD LUCK:d:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Is that even legal.I wouln't want to make myself less visible.Does that look "cool" or why would you do it?Sorry not trying to be rude,just can't think of any reason someone would want to make their lights darker.:confused:

I forgot to add, and thank u Mike270412 for posting because it reminded me. I am not too sure if its legal or not, but there is those nightshades out for vehicles that the cops dont bother, not that i have heard of anyways......
And u r right, you would lose your SOME reflectablity of the tail lights. And yes, it does look cool IMO!!
Easy fix: buy a light bar that goes between your bumper and tailgate....solves the lighting issues in the daylight and at night and looks cool or,
buy some 3M relfective tape and put it in the same spot.....unless u r sitting at the right angle, a person cant see it, but reflects at night...see this done on alot of company trucks (REMMEMBER!!!! if this is the option u chose, that u must start and end on RED!!!!)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks real cool...'till someone drives into you because they don't see your brake lights.....

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the smoked taillights on my Mustang and I purchased them that way. They are LED light though so they are very easy to see during the day or at night even with the smoked look. They are fully legal and dot approved but I don't know what % of tint they might be.

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, and thank u Mike270412 for posting because it reminded me. I am not too sure if its legal or not, but there is those nightshades out for vehicles that the cops dont bother, not that i have heard of anyways......
And u r right, you would lose your SOME reflectablity of the tail lights. And yes, it does look cool IMO!!
Easy fix: buy a light bar that goes between your bumper and tailgate....solves the lighting issues in the daylight and at night and looks cool or,
buy some 3M relfective tape and put it in the same spot.....unless u r sitting at the right angle, a person cant see it, but reflects at night...see this done on alot of company trucks (REMMEMBER!!!! if this is the option u chose, that u must start and end on RED!!!!)

I've heard of the technique that you used, but I was kinda of thinking on using some kind of tint that can be easily removed if needed. But I will consider it for sure, and I'm sure your instructions will come in handy if I go that way. thanks
I'll make sure to take before and after pics for anyone that is curious.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have owned thousands of cars. i have tinted many taillights.

never been pulled over, even my sled has the rear light tinted.

I apply mine differently, i remove all the lights, clean them, without wet sanding a just spray them (in light coats) until they are as dark as I would like them. NO CLEAR COAT. By not putting clear coat, it is still possible for me to reverse the tinting process by either wet sanding, oven cleaning(works awesome for removing painted on pin stripes) or whatever.

I will in the next few days post day and night time pics of my tails on my truck.:cool:

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tail lights are getting done next friday, I can't wait to see how they turn out. But were would you buy this spry on tint. I would like to darken up the tail light on my sled also. And I think it would be a good item to experiment on.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
My tail lights are getting done next friday, I can't wait to see how they turn out. But were would you buy this spry on tint. I would like to darken up the tail light on my sled also. And I think it would be a good item to experiment on.

I bought my cans at JB's PowerCenter by Mayfield

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing you have to remember, use light coats, really light coats.

if you do not use light coats, the tint spray will fish eye.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

who is tinting them for you??

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ziebart on the south side is doing them. They would have been done already, but the first time I went in the film they braught in for me was too dark for my liking. He said the only time I would have been able to see red is if I stepped on my brake. So he ordered lighter stuff, and friday is the earliest I can get into the city. I'm kinda going for a dark crimson color.

Top Bottom