Small Lake Koocanusa Wildfire

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to make a shout out to all the people who helped put out the small wildfire today. It was great to see a bunch of strangers get together for a critical common cause...putting out a wildfire before it got out of control.

It was just North of Big Pines campground, across the lake from Gold Bay. We went by that spot a couple of hours earlier and did not see any human activity or smoke. My wife and I set up on a small beach 6km south and cracked a beer and started to enjoy the sunshine. A while later I noticed some smoke up to the North and kept an eye on it for a bit...the smoke was getting larger by the minute so we packed up the boat to see what was up and if we could be of assistance. When we arrived there was a large group with a bucket brigade going and a few people on shovels and rakes. It appeared that someone was in charge directing people to the hot spots...I got on our shovel for a bit and then joined my wife in the bucket brigade.

I didn't do a head count but i would say there was 50-70 people helping out. Most were in bathing suits, but one young man was in dirt bike gear...he must of been hot. There were pre-teens, teens...men, women and a lot of them did not have any footwear on. There was even a pregnant women in the bucket brigade line.

The wind was low at the time, but if the fire spread to the other side of the road into the Ponderosa Pines, it would have been serious as the winds blew up big a couple of hours later. The fuel for the fire was grass and all the large amount of dry driftwood laying about. Two wildfire trucks showed up just as the group had the fire contained and they finished it off with their pumps.

There's going to be some sore muscles in a lot of campsites tonight.

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely some Albertans in that bucket line that know how fires can get out of hand after seeing Fort McMurray go up.
Way to go all involved

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely some Albertans in that bucket line that know how fires can get out of hand after seeing Fort McMurray go up.
Way to go all involved

I'm sure there were lots of Albertans helping out. There were around 10 or 12 people from one houseboat alone...not sure where they were from, but it was great to see.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy of mine has a picture on facebook of the bucket line
he was out in the boat when he saw the fire
I'm sure there were lots of Albertans helping out. There were around 10 or 12 people from one houseboat alone...not sure where they were from, but it was great to see.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is great to hear everyone working together.

Everyone should have a folding bucket with them during camping and riding season

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is great to hear everyone working together.

Everyone should have a folding bucket with them during camping and riding season
Can u get some more of these ray

I'd like a few for trailer, rzr, back pack for dirt bike

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can u get some more of these ray

I'd like a few for trailer, rzr, back pack for dirt bike

SRd, ESRD,AEP whatever they call themselves now give them away.

Give them a call

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After fighting a small brush fire last year my weapon of choice would be an axe or shovel. Very effective, much better than I thought since we didn't have easy access to water.
Axe and folding bucket are easy to pack on truck or quad.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulaski is a tool we carry

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SRd, ESRD,AEP whatever they call themselves now give them away.

Give them a call
I'm not in dipper land, plus your the fire putter outer guy

And u have lots of time since u don't have real grass to cut

See what u can do for a buddy

Top Bottom