SLR / DSLR Camera and sledding

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys going sledding this weekend was planning on bringing my DSLR camera.

any of you guys bring them with you? was planning on putting it in my backpack but i am worried about breaking it.

also considered putting it in the tunnel bag (large burandt bag from polaris apparantly waterproof) but am concerned it may get to cold and not work when i want to pull it out.

so to the photographers out there, how do you bring your camera to the hill with you?

any input appreciated thanks!!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take my Nikon and couple lenses with me pretty much every where i go, hiking, atving, jetboating, fishing and sledding.
Been doing it for years, the trick is simple.......get a "Pelican case" and put your electronics in it, they will be 100% safe. I have one mounted on my tunnel and there are day's you cannot even see it cause its completely covered in snow. They are 100% water proof, they also have a built in pressure valve as you change elevation the case will vent as needed, this prevents equiptment damange.
BTW, i've tumbled my sled on several occassions with gear in the case, the sled gets beatup the case will stand up to most anything you'll throw at it.
They are $$$.
I've used Pelican cases for years now and i completely trust them, there are immitations out there.....so beware. Look them up on line.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take my Nikon and couple lenses with me pretty much every where i go, hiking, atving, jetboating, fishing and sledding.
Been doing it for years, the trick is simple.......get a "Pelican case" and put your electronics in it, they will be 100% safe. I have one mounted on my tunnel and there are day's you cannot even see it cause its completely covered in snow. They are 100% water proof, they also have a built in pressure valve as you change elevation the case will vent as needed, this prevents equiptment damange.
BTW, i've tumbled my sled on several occassions with gear in the case, the sled gets beatup the case will stand up to most anything you'll throw at it.
They are $$$.
I've used Pelican cases for years now and i completely trust them, there are immitations out there.....so beware. Look them up on line.

yes i have heard about those. unfortunately i am leaving tomorrow and the trip was just planned the other day so i didn't even think about the camera until today, so the pelican case is out of the question.

but i think thats an awesome idea and im sure its the best way about it.

as for the other responses i think you have the right idea with the back pack as opposed to the tunnel bag

Drifter1

Reaction score
If you are bringing multiple lenses, i make a shell case for the lense by taking a thin piece of camping foam (smooth, not egg carton type) and wrap it around the lens and secure with duck tape, cut out a small circle for the bottom. Also works good for nalgene bottles to prevent water from freezing.
hopefully that makes sense!?!

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry my Pentax kx with a small 18 x 55 lens in the smallest pelican case that I could put it in. not sure of the case number but it works great I carry it in my 15L back pack along with my avy gear. Stop at a sporting goods store on the way out and get a good case I think the one I bought was only around $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever put your lunch on your tunnel? Its fawked. Smashed to pieces. Back packs the way to go.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my Polaris Pro I have the gauge lift/heated bag, I can slip my old thrasher Canon rebel DSLR in there with a 35-200mm lens, wrapped in a toque, prob even fit a couple extra lenses if needed, but I just carry any lenses in my backpack, if any rarely. Never had an issue with it getting wet or wrecked in 2yrs, all snow conditions and temps, maybe even a rollover or two.. Nice to keep it quick and easily accessible for when needed. I would not use the Burant tunnel bag unless you padded it well from moving around and kept it in a watertight enclosure. My.02.

toddsphotos

Reaction score
Backpack for sure, or top loader on your riser bar. like everyone says, if you want to put it on your tunnel, use a pelican case. I take my 5d mark3 and multiple lenses with me almost ever time. just be a little careful, and dry the cameras out well at the end of the day. Remember, the are tools, not jewels.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a soft semi rigid carry case for the camera and it fits in my avy pack with the soft semi rigid case, I think that will be my best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pictures you get are so worth taking it. The day I took mine I put it in the tunnel bag but I took it easy all day long. I was there to take photos not to go ape $hit.
A few of my Daughter..

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pictures you get are so worth taking it. The day I took mine I put it in the tunnel bag but I took it easy all day long. I was there to take photos not to go ape $hit.
A few of my Daughter..
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Katie/IMG_7505_zpsa4870e24.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Katie/IMG_7559_zps2dfcb4a5.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Katie/IMG_0229_zpsbb6315c4.jpg

Lookin good, just a suggestion though if you have not all ready look into a variable polarized filter for your lens, makes a night and day difference when shooting in bright conditions like that.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lookin good, just a suggestion though if you have not all ready look into a variable polarized filter for your lens, makes a night and day difference when shooting in bright conditions like that.

Thanks for the info. I'm by no means an expert with it. Really should take a night class to learn more about it.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dig up the other thread on pics on here, sledmamma had recommended a online site. But you are on the right track a course of any kind is the difference between just taking a picture and getting the camera to actually do what you want it to do. Blurred backgrounds, focus points, basic manipulation, taking from one setting so you can up another.... it really is not hard just have to understand the cause and effect.

Top Bottom