Slp stage 3 gargles at 4000-6500 rpm

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine bogs between 6000 - 7000 rpm till i get to about 5500 feet or higher

GoHiSK1

Reaction score
SLP Map a little rich maybe. Did you take the air horns out from under the hood air plenum .
Another thing I found on my 13 Pro was the gaskets between the exhaust valve and head had deteriorated and were leaking . Caused a similar bog on the top end that caused me some grief and a lot of extra stucks :)
Gaskets are inexpensive and you might as well scrape the carbon off of the power valves when they are removed. Then you can also check to see if maybe one of your exhaust bellows is on its way out.
Can usually tell if bellows are bad as you will see oily residue coming out of the small hole in the plastic cap.

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a SLP Stage 3 for my '12 Switchback Assault 800. Is the kit worth it? Is it as reliable as stock, and I can run it anywhere without issues? Seems like a big price to pay for headaches.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SLP map is rich.
If you can try this test just to make sure, Drive at a consistent speed (around the rpm that it seems to happen at) You should notice at that rpm that it will load up real bad or it will start to want to surge. Mine would load up at 5300.and at 15% to 20% throttle. So I took out -5 in this area and works perfect.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SLP map is rich.
If you can try this test just to make sure, Drive at a consistent speed (around the rpm that it seems to happen at) You should notice at that rpm that it will load up real bad or it will start to want to surge. Mine would load up at 5300.and at 15% to 20% throttle. So I took out -5 in this area and works perfect.

That is exactly what i was getting last weekend. Normally i am around 6000-6500 on the trail but was following out a buddy that was getting towed so we were slowed down a lot, right around that 5200 mark it was really jerky and surging. Thanks for the info.

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like stock with a can is the way to go. That's a lot of money to spend to make it run rough.

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 pro with a stage 4 kit and it runs flawlessly, I to believe slp mapping is a little rich but I can't complain. I had a 2012 pro that I had a PA head, can and clutch combo it also ran well. The slp kit is great though, none of the stock pros or xm's in our group can even touch it in the steep and deep.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran my 12' pro 2 days now with rk tek drop in 13:1 and slp kit with no pcV. It fakked up up on the hill and I narrowed it down to that so I in plugged. Switched to ethanol plug and have been running wide open tons. Seems to work. Maybe a touch lean on very top end as it will lay down a few rpm on long pull but so crisp all through.
Will be fixing pcV and re mapping as I know it won't live riding at home 2000' elevation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like stock with a can is the way to go. That's a lot of money to spend to make it run rough.
It is not that it runs rough it runs perfect otherwise.
SLP wants there map to work for everybody so a little rich keeps people from complaining compared to burn downs.
Also I am running the PA head instead of slps so I expected a little tuning might be needed.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen only really rich maps coming from SLP although I like their hardware. My stocker with a can, clutching and gear down walked on a similar sled with slp stage 4 kit. It should not be the case.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. Better rich than squeaks. And the slp stuff works on the pros. Only thing I've seen they need to address is a reinforced ring area where pipe temp sensor is. Few guys have broken out. Guy who welded it in mtns said he has fixed lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom