slp recomends that i switch to premium but should i?

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys slp recemends that i switch my 2009 m8 over to premium fuel now but im not sure if i really should. i only have a can and a slp y-pipe. when i bolted on the y-pipe the instructions said that i should now switch fuels. i don't think thats enough of a change to switch? just wondering what you guys think.

thanks

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont own a cat but i use premium and I know I get better mileage and better response, use premium maybe a extra few bucks per tank

Captain_splat

Reaction score
With the Price of Rebuilding your engine and the loss of Valuable Sledding time why is it even a Question that a Guy would cheep out on $2.00 More to have better performance and more power. Why use Good Performance oil? It costs more money, Just grab some old Canadian Tire $1.50 a gallon oil and see what happens. If you sled starts to Detonate or ping on cheep fuel there goes your Pistons and Head and your out big bucks, way more than $2.00. Some areas a Guy can cut a few corners but NEVER on Fuel and Oil. Just my $2.00 worth of advice.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep stock intake you should be fine , check your plugs 1/4 1/2 3/4 WOT that is 4 different times

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'v run purple in mine when i was in a bind and it ran fine, not sayn I would do so all the time. When you run premium it just seems more resposive...splash a bit of race fuel in there and its even better.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The motor was tuned to run on the lower octane fuel from factory, I won’t have thought adding a can and Y - pipe would be enough, but if the manufacture’s of the add on’s indicate too. Then you would think they have tested it and determined it changed the tuning enough to require the higher octane.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys it not a money issue at all, the engine was designed to run on 87 and thats what its tuned for. i tried 91 in it when i first got it and i have to say it runs better on 87. with that being said though i havn't tried running 91 with the new y-pipe yet, but i got about 150miles on it with the normal stuff. it seemed to be loading up to much at 1/4 throtle but seems great at full throtle. maybe thats a seprate issue im not sure.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
hrmmmmm, i was always told to run premium right off the bat, dealer even recommended it, and have always done so, all i have is a D&D can on mine and i find the 91 runs great, only time i notice it running like its loaded is when she's cold, after a good warm up never had any issues what so ever

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha ya my sled does the same thing whens shes cold, whens its cold its reallll cold. maybe i'll try running 91 this weekend and see what it does,i was falling the manual and magic mountains advice before on the 87, now i'm even more excited to ride.

on a side note how often do you guys change plugs?? i got 700 miles on these ones now. maybe thats my problem

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
havent had to change mine yet, 600 on it so far i think.....i was told that the loading up a bit for the first min or so of riding after warm up is failry normal with the aftermarket can, not sure if its fact or not but seems to be the case for me

haha ya my sled does the same thing whens shes cold, whens its cold its reallll cold. maybe i'll try running 91 this weekend and see what it does,i was falling the manual and magic mountains advice before on the 87, now i'm even more excited to ride.

on a side note how often do you guys change plugs?? i got 700 miles on these ones now. maybe thats my problem

RTTTTed

Reaction score
When the manufacturer is telling you something you need to follow instructions. Stock uses Regular. Y pipe and can adds nearly 10% more power. Partly because the freer flowing exhaust works better, but ... more hp requires more fuel so ... stock fuel delivery (stock is slightly fat) means that any added hp needs the adjustment to premium fuel - because you've leaned it out. That's why.

You could instal a Boondocker and richen the mixture so that it can continue to be tuned for regular?

Pipe and can are OK and optimize the stock (updated ecu on older sleds) tune FOR premium fuel.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the manufacturer is telling you something you need to follow instructions. Stock uses Regular. Y pipe and can adds nearly 10% more power. Partly because the freer flowing exhaust works better, but ... more hp requires more fuel so ... stock fuel delivery (stock is slightly fat) means that any added hp needs the adjustment to premium fuel - because you've leaned it out. That's why.

You could instal a Boondocker and richen the mixture so that it can continue to be tuned for regular?

Pipe and can are OK and optimize the stock (updated ecu on older sleds) tune FOR premium fuel.

hey thanks man i never thought of it that way before. definatly going to try premiun this weekend. i never realized it added that much power.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont the sleds come from factory tuned for premium fuel?? or is that only 2010 and up because of the change to the low compression heads ??

my 2010 m8 says right on the gas cap 'minimum of 91octane/premium fuel required' (cant remember if they gave a number or just premium)

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont the sleds come from factory tuned for premium fuel?? or is that only 2010 and up because of the change to the low compression heads ??

my 2010 m8 says right on the gas cap 'minimum of 91octane/premium fuel required' (cant remember if they gave a number or just premium)
My 2008 M 1000 says 87 octane or regular! Seems some are having issues with running Premium , of course our Premium is like thier racefuel LOL. They have a different way of rating fuel i think their octane numbers are actually way lower in reality. IE: US 91 is our 87. Am i right Ted?? Your the fuel guy and my memory might bo off!!!

killerrf

Reaction score
hey guys slp recemends that i switch my 2009 m8 over to premium fuel now but im not sure if i really should. i only have a can and a slp y-pipe. when i bolted on the y-pipe the instructions said that i should now switch fuels. i don't think thats enough of a change to switch? just wondering what you guys think.

thanks

you will be fine on 87 fuel. i rode with a fellow once in a while who had a 09 m8 and just had a d&d ypipe and barker can. stock pipe. work fine. probably put over 1000 miles like that and drove it like a raped ape. engine had over 3000 miles and still had good jam. no fuel controller. all stock intake though.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i had her out for two days theres guys, ran one tank of 91 and one tank of 87. didn't notice any huge differnce at all. ran great on 87 so thats how i'm gonig to keep it.

thanks guys.

Top Bottom